IGNORED

Russell Haswell played new Ae on NTS Radio

Guest pixelives

What about just leaving the venue hall for the duration of his set?

That's my plan for the upcoming London gig. I've had to listen to him twice now supporting ae and that's already two times too many. His live sets are absolutely fucking dreadful.

:/

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just leave and hide in the toilets or wherever, and make sure to be back inside on time for Autechre. Their door policy only goes for the duration of the Autechre set isn't it (at least when I saw them)? The doors closed right before they started. 

Anyway, can't wait to see Haswell live in Nijmegen next week. Hope the crowd is a bit more sensible there...

I like Haswell, yet really, you wanna be punk - get ready for a fight. This is how it should be. I'm certain Haswell will brag about it eventually, of how forward-thinking and uncompromising he was on this normie's party.

Bunuel went for Un Chien Andalou premiere in Paris with his pockets full of stones.

I worked with a guy who was in a band doing 'mexican sludge metal', basically him and some friends would get on stage wearing enormous sombreros and try and make the most unpleasant painful noises possible. Was more of an art project than a music project really. They'd always get stuff thrown at them but he finally packed it in after getting a proper beating from a few unhappy gig-goers.

I think there is a point with noise where it can actually feel like a bit of an assault. When it's really loud it's physically painful (and can be permanently damaging). I remember being quote angry during the last Haswell set I had to endure, partly because it was painful but also because what he was doing just seemed so half-arsed. Playing stuff that's both confrontational and, well, shit is a good way to get people's hackles up.

yeh personally I think it's quite shit too. I'm aware some people around here are totally facepalm 9000 rn but I'm not going to pretend that I like what I find is poop. What's the point? Oh I get it, the 'cool' crowd is into it because fuck yeah PUNK, and the plebs who are too weak to endure this can go home innit. Critique is futile because LOUD POOOP. So. very. edgy.

yeh personally I think it's quite shit too. I'm aware some people around here are totally facepalm 9000 rn but I'm not going to pretend that I like what I find is poop. What's the point? Oh I get it, the 'cool' crowd is into it because fuck yeah PUNK, and the plebs who are too weak to endure this can go home innit. Critique is futile because LOUD POOOP. So. very. edgy.

Do you think that's why Autechre like his work? Or do you think there might be another reason/more to it?

;^)

Do you think that's why Autechre like his work? Or do you think there might be another reason/more to it?

;^)

dunno... just dunno. The best I can come up with is that they probably get along well, must be more enjoyable sharing a tour bus with him for a month vs having Mark Fell along for the ride.

I'd love to 'get it', pretty sure Haswell is an interesting personality.. but find it difficult to see past his shtick of "hearing is nice and you like your ears, yeh? well fuck you! BZZZZZZZZT!!!"

Yeah admittedly even for noise Haswell is difficult/hard. Personally that's what I like about it.

Merzbow is the Aphex of the noise world, it's very colourful, lots of textures/rhythms.

Haswell is a modernist, it's austere and chromatic.

When I saw Haswell in Gent, I found set to be "playful" if one could describe it as such. Well, at the start at least: http://loopvideos.com/y8fAnmutaGo?from=233&to=426

Yes, there were also these loud bursts of white noise SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS which I wasn't a fan of. Would've understand all the negative reactions if it was *just* that, but there was more going on thankfully.

Also, when I was filming him in Gent, there was a moment *right* when I stopped filming, the guy in front of me put his hand up, gave thumbs down, and yelled "BOOOH!". I wish I caught that. Haswell would've loved it. Who wouldn't? Who the hell does that these days? What is this, vaudeville?

The issue I have with sonically with a lot of noise artists is a lack of dimensionality (is that a word?!) in their work. Everything comes across very flat sounding and fails to create any kind of sonic space in my ears - Cartoon-esque almost. It could be the lack of any reverb/space manipulation that gives that sound characteristic to me, not sure, but I find the sound really tiring very quickly after the initial 'holy shit' response

I'm not sure if he's considered noise but Hecker (Florian rather than Tim) seems to explore space more in his work and as a result I find his works far more entertaining

Just leave and hide in the toilets or wherever

"what you doing hiding in the toilets mate?"

"Haswell's on innit"

must be more enjoyable sharing a tour bus with him for a month vs having Mark Fell along for the ride.

Haswell and Fell share a tour bus, that's a sitcom that writes itself

and yeah danger music and noise music have very strong crossover, if you want to get academic. I'd argue violence from or on the crowd would even be intrinsic to the experience depending on how extreme an act is. Heck, one of the first ever noise music concerts resulted in violence from the crowd. But yeah violence at a chinstroke AE event is a bit much but Haswell should probably not take the piss if it really is that loud and bad, idk.

he also does non-noisey less abstract stuff so surprised he's sticking to a 'brutal' set from getting from what it sounds like such a bad reception & even attacked but feel he shouldn't compromise or change a thing just to fit an audiences taste/mood 

& tbh if your going to an ae gig & don't know haswell's stuff perhaps you shouldn't be there in the first place  :cisfor: (joking...............maybe) 

its interesting this idea of dilution, if ae opened for someone  they might also  get the 'wtf is this' reception, tis the fate of the opening act 

just one more thing, this sounds pretty great 

al least theres someone enjoying it  :dadjoke:

if ae opened for someone  they might also  get the 'wtf is this' reception, tis the fate of the opening act

Remember when Aphex opened for Bjork: http://forum.watmm.com/topic/8501-aphex-shocks-angers-and-confuses-bjork-fans-as-he-plays-support-for-her-at-bjork-hammersmith-show/

Archived