IGNORED

Do it yourself crew in the house?

lala

I'll probably wait until everything else is sticked and then have them send it without the one IC that's been consistently 4-6 months behind the second longest backorder (even with the original order that specific one wasn't supposed to be here in September 2021 and a couple other parts were delayed a month or two, but I wasn't ready to start building anyway) and try to source that one somewhere else in the meantime.

On 1/26/2022 at 3:27 PM, TubularCorporation said:

I'll probably wait until everything else is sticked and then have them send it without the one IC that's been consistently 4-6 months behind the second longest backorder (even with the original order that specific one wasn't supposed to be here in September 2021 and a couple other parts were delayed a month or two, but I wasn't ready to start building anyway) and try to source that one somewhere else in the meantime.

Which IC would that be? Maybe I can help, it's somewhat unlikely but who knows.

There are three or four spread across two orders that have been delayed for a year or more, and I need a few of each:

BC547B (7)

BC557BTF (10)

LM7912CT/NOPB (1)

LM339AN (2)

CD4052BE (2)

2N7000 (4)

Most of it is for the Lyra and since that's a kind of notoriously picky circuit to begin with I'm trying to stick to the original BOM and avoid substitutions, so I'm after Onsemi for the 2n7000's and BC547B's, Texas Instruments for everything else.  The 339 is the one that's delayed until the end of October, most of the other things should be stocked by mid March (the Onsemi stuff is backordered until mid June). There are also some carbon compositio resistors that are backordered until spring, but I could probably find those elsewhere easily sicne they're common values, I just haven't bothered since they aren't the thing that's going to hold up shipment longest and I'm not going to have the worshop set up again for a while anyway - right now there's no power on that side of the basement.

Edited by TubularCorporation

• 3 months later...

I got the Mouser orders shipped without the backordered parts, took a month of contacting Mouser, having them say they would ship them, and then waiiting a week or two and contacting them again. the backordered parts are now backordered until February 2023, and some of them have been demoted to "production issues" with no delivery estimate available at all.

Last I heard was that it will take at least 2-3 more years for global supply chains to recover, if they ever do. for now, it has pretty much put DIY off the table for me, other than simple circuits with common component values and as little silicon as possible. Which doesn't leave a lot.

I can probably source the missing stuff elsewhere but it's amazing that even some slightly unusual resistor values have been backordered for over a year now.

Edited by TubularCorporation

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A cellular automata experiment with a unit we built from critter and guitari, also using one of their videoscopes mixed thru a panasonic video mixer and a bent colorizer

• Like 1