IGNORED

"Rehab" from FL

ambermonk

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try not to think of Reaktor as a DAW. It's more of something you would use along with a DAW. Just a deep modular toolkit to create all sorts of different musical gadgets.

No offence, but i don't agree here. Your position is that there is only one workflow in producing electronic music, that is clicking blocks that contain audio or midi data and arranging them into tracks that have FX plugs on them. Another workflow could be, wiring a setup in reaktor. Playing the setup and recording a sum of it. Please dont be so single minded.

Try not to think of Reaktor as a DAW. It's more of something you would use along with a DAW. Just a deep modular toolkit to create all sorts of different musical gadgets.

No offence, but i don't agree here. Your position is that there is only one workflow in producing electronic music, that is clicking blocks that contain audio or midi data and arranging them into tracks that have FX plugs on them. Another workflow could be, wiring a setup in reaktor. Playing the setup and recording a sum of it. Please dont be so single minded.

ouch

...music production...

...more than twelve years...

...Getting sick...

...production slouch...

...not super complex...

Maybe you should think about why you burned out, what does buring out mean? Imho, it means loosing the fun and diving deep into stress.

Why do you produce tracks? Why dont you just play tracks?

You know... playing, that stuff kids do. For fun? You could for example try some hardware samplers like a Roland SP-404 or an electribe or an octatrack. Just fiddle around with these boxes as toys and make something with them for the fun of it. Reset yourself back into beeing a kid that plays with that toy.

best answer, not the hardware suggestion, the play angle. It is easier to let yourself go and just play in an unfamiliar environment, what does this do, what if i added that, that's weird, oh god so frustrating it's all so hard /runs back to fruity refreshed, problem solvered.

Some people recommend drugs, i don't agree. In my case anyway, one would imagine that it would see me sink further into the couch heh. If it was an upper i'd probably draw or clean the house.

don't do drugs kids, i don't and i'm sure you all want to be just like ye olde dleetra.

Also, regarding renoise:

im jealous of anybody who can use that damn thing. when they are good musicians, they are good musicians, but one has to question why someone would choose the absolute hardest way to sequence. i think renoise™ is a great piece of software for every reason except the tracker part, there it seems to be holding onto the past like one of those hipster bikes with the one giant wheel. for me its just impossible to remember where my music is when i am looking at a screen full of numbers. The sequence blocks thing on the left is pretty good but there really stands to be a giant major improvement on the whole vertical scrolling DAW thing. ditch the spreadsheet stuff and get with the 21st century and stuff.

i broke my ass learning renoise and was only able to make 85% of a song in it. so i am a little butthurt.

Well, Reaktor isn't a DAW. As far as I know there are no decent multitrack ensembles available and recording out of reaktor by itself is just one channel of (st) audio (unless 6 is different). It's true once you start thinking a little out of the box with Reaktor you can find new ways to make tunes (I love just setting up a mixer and a couple instruments with sequencers and treating it like it's a hardware setup, built a whole moniker around those jams) and for somebody who is in some sort of musical rut this could be very helpful.. but are you suggesting Reaktor as a replacement for a DAW? (honestly not sure if that's what you're saying)

I say get reaktor and use it both standalone and in conjunction with whatever DAW (if you're tired of FL, try Reaper, Logic, or Pro Tools.. they all essentially do the same thing). It's nice to be able to put together a whole track in Reaktor and then run separate outs into a DAW to gain more control over the signals. I guess it's about finding the balance between playing and ending up with a track you actually like. I suspect Oscar's comment was more in relation to where OP is coming from having used a more traditional DAW who might not know the best way to get into Reaktor.

i gotta say, for me, it would be so

fucking

huge

if gol would pull his head outta his ass, and accept that FL is a product that he's selling to people, which means that all requests should be considered, especially ones that get repeated fairly often, and specifically i'm talking about opening FL up so it can be fully skinned.

it just looks like shit. and some people can and will disagree with that. FINE. try using it for 15 fucking years and seeing that same putrid shade of gray every time you load it. for a while i was having an almost palpable psychic reaction to seeing it pop up onto my screen. that shade of gray especially, its just like this super plastic gray color. god damn, just being able to recolor the gui would be GREAT.

but hes so against giving people what they want sometimes and it just seems ridiculous. what i'm talking about is the kind of thing that's totally optional. if someone likes that terrible gray, they could totally keep it. but if you look at the image-line forums and find people asking for skin-ability, ability to recolor objects etc, the common replies against them, from other users, is that those other people disagree, think it looks great, and should be left alone. how ignorant does someone have to be to be against additional OPTIONS that wouldn't affect you in any way? it blows my mind, and that mentality seems to be where gol himself is operating from (evidenced by the fact that when you pick custom colors for the mixer channels, it limits the colors you can choose and doesnt give you what you pick but always give a darker shade because they 'dont want it to look cartoony'. if thats the case maybe they shouldnt have included that anime dancing girl visual plugin?).

what's even crazier is the latest update redid the gui in vector form which would make adding the ability to instantly recolor anything, super easy. but it's still not there! wtf?! if i didn't already have life-time free updates included with my purchase (several years ago), which is admittedly GREAT, i would definitely not pay for another upgrade until gol caved and gave people who want the option to not see the same plastic gui, that choice. i just really feel like changing the look, even just colors, could go a long way towards changing the headspace it puts you in.

by midi processing do you mean like, having plugins or something where you can take a midi stream and apply formulas/filters to the midi stream itself before it gets passed on to the hardware/vsti that you're using it with? like say you can take a stream of notes being played and use a midi processor to easily transpose them all up/down, or filter out certain ones or whatever? i do think that kind of thing would be a great addition.

but are you suggesting Reaktor as a replacement for a DAW?

No, i dont see Reaktor as a replacement for a DAW workflow. You basically get rid of that workflow. For pure electronic music in a digital domain thats perfectly possible, if you accept to learn and DIY some stuff. I went down that road 10 years ago beeing a cubase user in the same situation as the OP. I stayed in that pit for about 8 years and switched to hardware after that.

Again, no offence, but that's why i basically dont agree to this sentence.

It's more of something you would use along with a DAW.

No offense taken, dude. I think you're making some serious leaps about how I think someone can go about creating music, though. My position isn't that there is only one way to produce music, it's that Reaktor isn't a DAW in the traditional sense. Anything that can basically generate or playback some semblance of organized sound is a way to produce music, it doesn't have to be Pro Tools, etc.

No offense taken, dude. I think you're making some serious leaps about how I think someone can go about creating music, though. My position isn't that there is only one way to produce music, it's that Reaktor isn't a DAW in the traditional sense. Anything that can basically generate or playback some semblance of organized sound is a way to produce music, it doesn't have to be Pro Tools, etc.

Okay, then basically nothing was said and we all should go for a drink. :beer:

by midi processing do you mean like, having plugins or something where you can take a midi stream and apply formulas/filters to the midi stream itself before it gets passed on to the hardware/vsti that you're using it with? like say you can take a stream of notes being played and use a midi processor to easily transpose them all up/down, or filter out certain ones or whatever? i do think that kind of thing would be a great addition.

Yea stuff like that. I just think FL takes a different approach than I would prefer myself, for example the arpeggiator is great, and theres some stuff with piano roll note colours that you can split if you make patches in that new patcher thing. But other than that routing/filtering is cumbersome/impossible.

For example I'd like to be able to filter out the top note of a chord and feed it to a monosynth, and it's hard to figure out what settings to use for retriggering notes when you play legato or not, stuff like that.

The midi delay (with pitch shifting!) is really good too btw.

heck yeah man! i think itd be awesome if you could do all sorts of things like create rules to send notes to different places etc. maybe have like a round robin thing where each note goes to a different synth until it gets to the last one then it starts over, whatever. or with chords each one would go to a different synth etc.

theres a midi delay? is that a new thing with 12?

Okay, then basically nothing was said and we all should go for a drink. :beer:

:beer:

force yourself to try something completely new, doesn't matter what. buzz, reniose, reaper, bitwig, ableton. Hardware setup+4track recorder. refreshing your palette let's you reframe and re-learn and discover new ways to be creative with music.

Yeah I am really feeling the play angle here. This is something I get hung up on a lot - I get internal pressure to finish an EP or album (I don't know if I even care whether I ever do this) or to prepare some material I can play live (which is usually fun but why stress about it?) and then I start arbitrarily treating the music thing like a job. It doesn't pay my bills so there is absolutely no rational reason for me to do this to myself.

Luckily it's easy for me to get roped back into the fun aspect because at any given moment I have at least a couple sound design or synthesis architecture ideas I want to implement. That's the gift modular environments (and Elektron) have given me. Where there's a parameter or two there's a jam opportunity!

Also field recorders can be good fun. They remind you that with a sampler or sample editor, you can turn any sound into an instrument.

Drugs are out of the question.

lightweight

You'd be surprised by my frame. Plus my abstinence from any substances other than hooch is a legitimate excuse, if I want to remain employed.

@ Mister E - Totally get what you're saying by that skin that seems like it's been around forever. I wish FL was more user-friendly in that regard, like Winamp.

Yeah I am really feeling the play angle here. This is something I get hung up on a lot - I get internal pressure to finish an EP or album (I don't know if I even care whether I ever do this) or to prepare some material I can play live (which is usually fun but why stress about it?) and then I start arbitrarily treating the music thing like a job. It doesn't pay my bills so there is absolutely no rational reason for me to do this to myself.

Luckily it's easy for me to get roped back into the fun aspect because at any given moment I have at least a couple sound design or synthesis architecture ideas I want to implement. That's the gift modular environments (and Elektron) have given me. Where there's a parameter or two there's a jam opportunity!

Also field recorders can be good fun. They remind you that with a sampler or sample editor, you can turn any sound into an instrument.

I recorded rain drops into a bucket w/ the voice recorder app on my phone in late July. Sounded kinda like African tribal percussion, and that was with no editing whatsoever.

Seems like the best track ideas stem from a single, random sound or melody I hear purely by chance. But again, it might be time to try doing more remixes.

Archived