IGNORED

The original BOC cassette EBAY drama

Guest Datathief

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Datathief

Additonally, does Prince Murat still have these?

AFAIK , Yes. Despite the phone calls.

I don`t know if he was actually given the tapes or stole them from OcataveKitten (I`ll refer to her as OK from hereon)

I didn’t ask him many questions on the phone, wasn`t in the mood for listening to any more lies.

She still denied the tapes were mine via email even though the super high res scans on Ebay had my handwriting on them.

Even the pic I used to verify myself with Herr Jan even has the same damn handwriting :emotawesomepm9:

JdFrdil.jpg

Did she spend all the money on racing cars and that ....

I am sure that was either Daddy`s money or some other sucker`s :w00t:

What tapes exactly got stolen? Just the Old Tunes, or were some of their earlier albums in there as well? Did they actually get sold to people?

Just the 2 old tunes cassettes, one original, the other a copy.

Guest Datathief

Did you name your cat ... hah, sorry, it must've been a real pain in the arse at the time.

Name it what? "Narcissitic Personality Disorder"? "Munchausen Syndrome"? :trollface:

Guest Datathief

I enjoyed reading this. I hope e-Bay can maybe get those stolen goods back to you.

I doubt that will ever happen. I can`t even remember Prince Murat`s real name..

Maybe I should @ a few people on twitter to see if they are willing to comment.. :D

hello datathief / funny name regarding that theft ! :-)

regarding boards of canada's archives, do you know if albums like "acid memories" or "play by numbers" do exists as demo or something? they never appears anywhere, never were uploaded..

cheers

Octave Kitten sounds vile, didn't a few people on here meet her and get their hearts broken? That's not really a question, just me pondering on watmm lore. Are you still doing the music yourself?

I knew one guy that was trying to get stuff back from her, we exchanged a lot of notes. None added up.

I heard drama continued once she decided to jump to a new scene.

I have wrote a few things, nothing released for a very long time now.

I concentrate on game development nowadays. I had some music in a Nintendo published game and spend most of my time doing my art/design dayjob now.

Oh! Which game?

Guest Datathief

Hehehehehehe, the elusive Prince Murat named himself after a motel in Tallahassee.

He probably stayed there after OK told him she was moving to LA to be a rockabilly / rally driver / attempt to look like a teenage japanese goth without him.

So it's YOUR fault the box set never came out?

Soz if this sounds like a silly question. But why would this leak stop a box set coming out? (I'm not that steeped in BOC lore) I was under the impression it's been always been 'in the works', so to speak.

Soz if this sounds like a silly question. But why would this leak stop a box set coming out? (I'm not that steeped in BOC lore) I was under the impression it's been always been 'in the works', so to speak.

Some fans like to think that because the OT leaked, BOC now have no incentive to officially release any of these tracks...

Honestly, if it wouldn't be too much effort on their part, they should just put these up on SoundCloud for everyone to enjoy if they were never meant to be officially released to begin with... at least keep all the poor-quality copies from circulating forever and ever...

Maybe they just didn't want people to hear them anyway. They probably don't hear any merit in them. They are basically old scraps of them learning their craft. Who would want to release their earliest worst stuff?

Of course that's subjective. To a new listener and a fan, these are lovely glimpses into the mythical artist we come to love after becoming fixated on their first proper releases.

It's us that have elevated these the to the level of cult status not them.

Have you ever owned or seen a copy of the 'Random 35 Track Tape'? If I'm not mistaken the ones you had were AFOT and OTV2(?)

Never heard of that one.

This was originally known as Old Tunes Vol. 1 (before we learned AFOT was also 'officially' known as Old Tunes Vol. 1 !)

Some fans like to think that because the OT leaked, BOC now have no incentive to officially release any of these tracks...

Honestly, if it wouldn't be too much effort on their part, they should just put these up on SoundCloud for everyone to enjoy if they were never meant to be officially released to begin with... at least keep all the poor-quality copies from circulating forever and ever...

The reason I've always held that they were never officially released was obtaining copyright of many of the samples used - They've always seemed pretty careful with their sample choices (like the use of the Hair track in the original version of Aquarius before they painstakingly recreated it for the 'proper' release). But yeah a Soundcloud 'dump' would be great if they never plan to officially release them.

Have you ever owned or seen a copy of the 'Random 35 Track Tape'? If I'm not mistaken the ones you had were AFOT and OTV2(?)

Never heard of that one.

This was originally known as Old Tunes Vol. 1 (before we learned AFOT was also 'officially' known as Old Tunes Vol. 1 !)

The reason I've always held that they were never officially released was obtaining copyright of many of the samples used - They've always seemed pretty careful with their sample choices (like the use of the Hair track in the original version of Aquarius before they painstakingly recreated it for the 'proper' release).

I thought the album version of Aquarius still uses this sample - this is the first time I've heard it was actually recreated. do we have the original for comparison?

Note the super funky wah-wah shenanigans with quiet in-between notes in Aquarius ver. 1 from around 54 secs here:

Compared to the band-pass like version, with quite dominating bassline in Aquarius ver. 2 (the one on MHTRTC) (at around 30 secs)

Maybe they just didn't want people to hear them anyway. They probably don't hear any merit in them. They are basically old scraps of them learning their craft. Who would want to release their earliest worst stuff?

Of course that's subjective. To a new listener and a fan, these are lovely glimpses into the mythical artist we come to love after becoming fixated on their first proper releases.

Well it's unfortunate that those old scraps are so much better than what they've officially released.

it really doesn't matter though now eh, but then they'd have to get an official soundclud acunt and not be all mysterious men from forests afar. And that ain't gonna happen, it's like asking clark kent to take off his glasses or batman to admit that he has a thing for boys in their late teens. The muthology muunn.

It's a bummer that a release of their earlier material was heavily rumored (even mdg'd) but never came to pass. There's a beautiful innocence in their earlier stuff, what with being completely free from the burdens of expectation & self-consciousness.

I was being sarcastic. i dont remember clearly but i could have sworn there were many people around that time shouting "dont share the old tapes! they are having a box set coming soon! dont ruin it!" or something along those lines. so the fact that everyone has them now made me think "okay i guess they gave up on the box set lol"

Archived