IGNORED

Roland Boutique?! [new synths]

Psychotronic

Guest Chesney

exactly, the people who know synthesis will get that sound with whatever they want to use and no one listening will care what is being used, most people can't tell in a mix anyway, synths have their own character of course, that's why I have quite a few ha, but their scope is so broad and they overlap so much that you can't encompass all that a synth can do within it's character.

I think the 101's selling point is the easy sequencer. It means that people who are not that musical can easily knock out a rad line and sync it to a good beat and there you go. That's how it went. It's a fun synth but not worth the hype. The SH09 sounds better/very similar but it is way below half the price of a 101. You can still have fun sequencing it with something simple like a korg SQ and get similar results.

Or you just buy a nice synth digi or analogue and learn it so you can make your own sounds or make classic sounds.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chesney

It is well good, but it's not as good as the hype suggests, there are loads of synths that are as good just that they never got used to help create certain genre's and used by well known artists. That is what people are paying for.

Guest Chesney

Not sure what that proves. Sounds good as expected. Have you tried any other synths doing that hi res type of sound or are you strictly on a Roland tip?

No beef, Roland stuff sounds great, I have some roland stuff myself. My point is that the 101 is just a synth, there are so many others out there though.

It is well good, but it's not as good as the hype suggests, there are loads of synths that are as good just that they never got used to help create certain genre's and used by well known artists. That is what people are paying for.

and that's why the synth market progresses so slowly. it'd be great if big companies would release more new stuff instead. i mean NEW stuff. even vst/vsti are heavily infected with past times.

and all that cause people have been told that in the old times were better, everything was just magical and they've been told that cause it's much easier to sell the past. it's one thing to stand on the shoulders of giants and totally another putting our heads in their buttholes. afx had this synth? a-ha! now i know what it takes to be a genius...

Not sure what that proves. Sounds good as expected. Have you tried any other synths doing that hi res type of sound or are you strictly on a Roland tip?

No beef, Roland stuff sounds great, I have some roland stuff myself. My point is that the 101 is just a synth, there are so many others out there though.

lol just fucking about and not trying to prove anything...just posting some tasty 101 acid.

yeah i've had loads of different synths through the years - MFB stuff, various novations, korgs, a modular, casio CZs, creamware pro12 (prophet 5 clone), future retro stuff...prob loads more i can't remember. agree that you can produce most things using most equipment and it doesn't matter what you use really.  most recently though i am on a roland tip and sold a load of gear a year or so ago to get my current set-up (which is very roland centric).

Guest Chesney

haha, don't worry all good. Not dissing the 101, it is what it is. Kinda dissing the hype really and not trying to offend you because you are somewhere around the demographic I mentioned.

The Roland TB-03 is awesome.

I used it all over my last album, but lately I've been using the "random melody" feature + CV outs to act as a sequencer for my eurorack.

• 2 weeks later...

I used it all over my last album, but lately I've been using the "random melody" feature + CV outs to act as a sequencer for my eurorack.

??? random melody feature you say? I havent tried that

SH-01A confirmed plus a new TR-8!

https://www.roland.com/au/products/sh-01a/

Happy 8/08 day

I think i want the SH-01A more. I'd like that 08 obviously but just cause of appearance. I have the tr-8 already and have trouble believing the sounds are any different

Small is not always better :)

I remember the first time i saw a 909. That mofo is huge! I believe that its big footprint has an effect in music production. I never owned one but i remember that i couldnt stay unimpressed by the size while working on it. Somehow i had to 'make it big'.

Ha, I'm the opposite. I'm more impressed with smaller gear that still manages to have a nice interface.

i no! :wink:  just imagine how big should be a modular system to replicate the function and possibilities of a mnm and/or md

Welp I wanted to talk mad shit on that 01a but found myself unable to. Even on YouTube fidelity, it took me back to the days when I had one. Even though Behringer did the pro-troll move of dropping that MS-101 pic (complete with tits), I like the small studio footprint of the boutique. We live in strange times.

Yeah I didn't get the Behringer thing. Are they also dropping a SH-101 clone soon or what ?

Guest Chesney

In that vid he even says it does not sound exactly like a 101, so it's just another box missing the point or just a calculated sales ploy in a classic veil.

Weird times these are. Well, at least i'm not getting gas at lots of crazy new forward thinking synths (I am and always will ha)

Function + G# will generate a random melody.

Function + A# will mutate it.

Function + G# will generate a random melody.

Function + A# will mutate it.

Ah it was with the 1.04 update, got it now! Apparently g# randomizes just notes and a# randomizes just slides, accents, transpose.. Randomized a pattern last night, rounded off a couple odd steps, and had a brand new melody to create a song around. Talk about pure inspiration

Thanks for the tip off

• 3 weeks later...

The TB-03 is pretty great. I have no aspirations of having a real 303.

Same, I love it. I'm also now interested in getting more battery powered portable devices. Thinking the TR-09 would be the obvious thing to follow up with.

Archived