IGNORED

Roland Boutique?! [new synths]

Psychotronic

I think people have been doing this successfully using usb to midi interfaces for the iPad? I'm unable to verify this though, may be a tall tale from yonder.

Yeah, possibly. But again, I have no use for an ipad in a live setup other than that so it'd be a waste of my money.
Without the iPad!

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW, what does Boutique signify?

According to the Japanese Roland site, these are going to be sold exclusively at womens shoe shops.

Also, it's amazing how much Roland's concept resembles what many prolly imagined Yamaha Reface could be. I wonder which company played spy...

depends on components used and whether it's smd and that. the dude from oldcrow sells a set of boards to build a 4 voice obx clone and it works out to about $1000-$1500 in parts. this is a p much all discrete design, so there aren't any real expensive semiconductors in there or anything.

Nah, not yet. I wonder if these synth emulations will be available to the system 1 users as well.

depends on components used and whether it's smd and that. the dude from oldcrow sells a set of boards to build a 4 voice obx clone and it works out to about $1000-$1500 in parts. this is a p much all discrete design, so there aren't any real expensive semiconductors in there or anything.

The korg volca showed us

That analog polys can be done for super cheap ($150usd)

What would it look like

If Roland made a $400-500 analog poly?

I don't get why they don't do this

Just make the best one you can make that you would still make bank from

And everyone will buy it

The korg volca showed us

Not a poly, though.

Volca keys is indeed a poly

No, it isn't. The three oscillators share a single filter and a single VCA, which means it's paraphonic.

The korg volca showed us

Not a poly, though.

Volca keys is indeed a poly

No, it isn't. The three oscillators share a single filter and a single VCA, which means it's paraphonic.

You are technically correct that it is paraphonic

But so is the Mono/Poly

I don't care too much about the semantics here

I really just care about playing chords

Yeah, having three times as much circuitry for filters, VCAs, filter envelopes and VCA envelopes costs a fair bit more from a manufacturing viewpoint.

yes, but you can build a proper 3-voice poly synth out of three volca keys. you'd have tons of leftover pieces and it'd still be cheaper than what an analogue poly is supposed to cost (but definitely more than i'd pay, mind.) maybe adding a filter envelope and decay and sustain steps would really drive the price up? i mean, i know nothing about electronics but a $300, non-para, volca looks feasible to me.

anyway, those rolands look awesome and the airas sounded pretty convincing, so i'm excited

I think people have been doing this successfully using usb to midi interfaces for the iPad? I'm unable to verify this though, may be a tall tale from yonder.

Yeah, possibly. But again, I have no use for an ipad in a live setup other than that so it'd be a waste of my money.
Without the iPad!
But my point is, why do we need a converter? Modern synths still have DIN-MIDI as the only way to connect to a controller without a computer or USB-MIDI converter in between.

For example, the volca synths. Hey cool, they've got a DIN-MIDI input! Let's look at Korg's similarly small line of MIDI controllers (assume you have slim modey fingers and are ok with mini keys). Oh hey the micro key range is great! But oh, what's that? USB only? And Korg don't even make a USB-MIDI to DIN-MIDI converter so they're not even trying to cash in, it doesn't make sense.

The korg volca showed us

Not a poly, though.

There is software and methods of tricking the volca to play each oscillator independently when its respective note-on/note-off's are decoupled, instead of all three notes re-triggering when you change one or two of the notes.

p sure that's a feature on the bass.

and for the fourteenth time, there is only one filter for all the voices on the volcas. paraphonic.

yeah, using volca control. actually you don't need any extra software at all as long as you don't mind being limited to the onboard sequencer - you can get some pretty crazy sequences! shame you can't control the volume of the individual oscillators, though.

but as i said, three volcas cost $450 - you don't need all the parts in all three, just the EG's and the filters, so it looks like a proper volca poly for $300-ish isn't impossible, unless fitting it all in the same box drives the cost up somehow. of course it'd have D/R envelopes and no dedicated filter EG, which I'd kinda expect at that price point, so the point is moot I guess.

Archived