IGNORED

Roland Boutique?! [new synths]

Psychotronic

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so i keep reading that these are limited ... so they're going to stop making them some time>>? seems like everybody wants one... like the volcas, it'd be silly to stop making them

so i keep reading that these are limited ... so they're going to stop making them some time>>? seems like everybody wants one... like the volcas, it'd be silly to stop making them

Pretty much everything is a limited run. It more depends on the demand, the amount produced initially and the longevity of the machine.

Its a bit off topic, but the Moog Mother's are extremely limited. I spoke to a Moog rep at the Synth Demo in my hood over the weekend and he said they are back ordered everywhere and if you want one you better pre-order that shit. I don't think there is much chance of just popping into your local synth shop and purchasing one on a whim.

• 4 months later...

Probably a start/stop button... my money is that it's an uber sophisticated midi controller that tells your DAW to start or stop... possibly stop and/or start... No other thing it could be. Absolutely mindblowing stuff Roland is rolling out.

It's tagged with #808 on instagram, so it's either a reissue of the TR-808 or...I don't know. It would be strange if it is a true analog TR-808 reissue with the TR-8 being so good and all. I suppose people would spend money on it because 'analog warm imperfections blah blah blah'.

It's tagged with #808 on instagram, so it's either a reissue of the TR-808 or...I don't know. It would be strange if it is a true analog TR-808 reissue with the TR-8 being so good and all. I suppose people would spend money on it because 'analog warm imperfections blah blah blah'.

I wouldn't think it'd be analog? I seem to remember an interview with someone from Roland saying that the reason why they stopped making the 808 was because the transistor manufacturing process started getting better, and they couldn't source any broken/dodgy ones for the cymbal sounds anymore?

I tried the yamaha dx reface and was pleasantly impressed. The keys are pretty dinky but it sounded very much like the dx7. The editing parameter screen was bigger too but just as clunky to edit. Hard to say if the volca fm will outperform it.

just picked up the JX-03

so far i'm not blown away, was trying to re-create my own JX3P patches on it, but not with much success

hard to fine tune the settings, on the JX3P theres a slider of 1-16 value, whereas on the JX-03 it's just a knob

has anyone attempted this?

just picked up the JX-03

so far i'm not blown away, was trying to re-create my own JX3P patches on it, but not with much success

hard to fine tune the settings, on the JX3P theres a slider of 1-16 value, whereas on the JX-03 it's just a knob

I have a Kiwi'd JX-3p/PG200 with a modded resonance peak so I cannot really compare them too hard ( I only had the non-modded JX for a few months before sending it off to get all gussied up)... buuuuut. I didn't find the sound to be the same at all. The JX is the weakest of the bunch and TBH I'm not really sure why they did a re-fiddle of this AND the Juno seeing as they are very similar in some ways. Would be cool to see them re-do the SH-101 or SH-2 - they're pretty simple machines with huge sound that would fit in the 500-1000$ range.

The filter to the JX-3p is really unique and was not captured by the boutique re-work - if left un-modded the resonance really cuts the low end but never gets screechy like some of my other synths. After modding, it really made the low-end stick around and added some bite. Never really messed with the boutique's sequencer, but I love the JX's sequencer. What other old synth has a built-in 128 step 6-voice polyphonic sequencer that can be clocked by a CV trig out?! It's quite nice once you get over the mental wrap-around, which is funny because when my friends try to write a sequence they fuckin' hate the thing, but it's just become so second-nature for me to make really interesting poly-lines on it and basslines in 30 seconds.

TL:DR -- As a JX-3p owner and having sat with the boutique for a few hours, IMO they are very different. Not to say the boutique one sucks, but it's doesn't really hold a candle to its mothership.

It sounds alright but...Roland....what the hell...just FUCKING MAKE ANALOGUE MONSTERS AGAIN instead of stupid digital remakes,thats what softsynth are for...i mean this would have been awesome if would have been analogue.All these synth brand coming back with cheap analogues and thats all roland can do?

Ahh what can you do...the golden days of roland are long over i guess....

just picked up the JX-03

I have a Kiwi'd JX-3p/PG200 with a modded resonance peak so I cannot really compare them too hard

dang, thats the dream. Quite a costly investment, but very worth it i'm sure!

I had hoped the JX-03 would be able to be my live JX3P, save me the heartache of dragging it around the place...plus its really started to act up lately - some buttons just wont work, meaning i can't access certain presets... hopefully i'll sit down someday soon and grapple the JX-03 into submission

...or just sell the JX-03 on and get the JX3P properly serviced :cerious:

• 2 weeks later...

TL:DR -- As a JX-3p owner and having sat with the boutique for a few hours, IMO they are very different. Not to say the boutique one sucks, but it's doesn't really hold a candle to its mothership.

Couldn't agree more! Just after dropping mine back in the post to return to Thomann (god bless their return policy)

Tried my best to re-create some of my presets, but just doesn't come anywhere near it. Very different beasts indeed.

They should have just renamed these as their own stand alone units.

it's as if Roland have digged into a market of people who have never, and may never, own the real synths so will never know the difference, yet will enjoy using them in a sort of blissfully ignorant scenario - well played Roland...well played

Guest bitroast

I could be wrong but I believe the System-1 has some sort of SH-101 modeling incorporated into it with the plug out synth?

• 4 months later...

if it's ms20 mini-style analog recreation i'm all for it. if it's like tr8 or tr3 just in a different casing.. not so much. if it's a recreation but requiers baby hands like the boutique stuff i will be disappointed as well.

Archived