IGNORED

Roland Boutique?! [new synths]

Psychotronic

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a friend who's close to the Roland CEO of Canada who happens to be the synth nerd of the Roland CEOs. He said that Roland's motto, until recently, was to always be looking to the future in design. The new CEO said fuck that and decided to look at what they were known for and do a resurgence since they haven't really done anything groundbreaking in a long time.

if it's ms20 mini-style analog recreation i'm all for it. if it's like tr8 or tr3 just in a different casing.. not so much. if it's a recreation but requiers baby hands like the boutique stuff i will be disappointed as well.

What you see i these pics is a magnification of 1:53.000

Guest bitroast

but will it be better than the avalon bassline for ~1k 

i can't say yes or no just yet but it is looking like cheap produced knobs and is likely going to be virtual pretending to be analoge as opposed to analogue 

Guest Chesney

they wouldn't do another load of digi emulations a year after saying the TR8 and TB3 were spot on. Imagine how many emails they have had with requests of analogue remakes? I bet they just gave in but they are gonna keep the costs and footprint down to get the widest consumer base.

oh, I didn't notice. They seem to be very much like the boutiques otherwise, same input output midi usb implementation. the 909 and 303 both seem to only have a single 3,5mm stereo jack output, headphone jack and mix/audio passthrough, just like the old ones. meh. colour me sceptical.

vsti hardware emulation of an analogue hardware. imo that's the worst possible scenario! and they did it again!

Why? The JU06 sounds amazing. If these are realistic digital emulations at a reasonable price in a small box then i'm all for it

vsti hardware emulation of an analogue hardware. imo that's the worst possible scenario! and they did it again!

Why? The JU06 sounds amazing. If these are realistic digital emulations at a reasonable price in a small box then i'm all for it

cause imo they're worse then the originals. one of the main reasons why those original boxes were designed the way they are is because they were analogue and they couldn't make them better. today we can make them better  but we choose to make inferior products instead, inferior event to those old originals

it's so odd that they have the TB-3 and now the TB-03... I really hope the new TB-03 is real analogue otherwise I can't really see the point unless they have improved on the TB-3's sound by a big margin.  the addition of CV is nice i guess and it looks cool but if it's ACB then the main thing about it (i.e. the sound) won't be up to scratch imo.  however, the TR-09 does look interesting to me and if they also do a TR-08 i'd likely get both (again, weird though coz of the TR-8 which is the same thing but in a different housing).  i dunno, roland have gone mental.

i guess they're maybe trying to quietly kill the aira line and reboot it with the boutique line?  like, the aira line was the last project of the old "future design" team and the boutique line is what the new CEO wants instead, and what should have been done all along (instead of aira).  maybe it's just an unfortunate timing thing... wouldn't surprise me if we don't see any new aira stuff though.

Archived