IGNORED

Itunes 320 vs LAME 320

hayhook

I know there has been a lot of discussion on here about best sound quality of mp3's.

Is there any difference/is one a better sound quality between a 320vbrjointstereo from Itunes and one created with LAME?

My desktop won't burn cd's anymore, I use my bf's laptop. It doesn't have the LAME encoder on it.

I can either use his itunes and compress to mp3 or dl as wav and hot stick to my desktop and convert with LAME there.

any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

It may well be fixed now but in the past the iTunes encoder didn't correctly set the metadata for seamless transitions between mix albums. Would sound fine in iTunes but on any other playback you'd get a click between seamless tracks (live concerts, mix albums, fsol albums etc.). There were two bits of data inserted - one was a pre-buffer, can't remember the other - but it flagged the mp3 player to buffer the next track for the milliseconds required for a seamless transition.

Why would you use iTunes for ripping and encoding?

My desktop won't burn cd's anymore, I use my bf's laptop. It doesn't have the LAME encoder on it.

I can either use his itunes and compress to mp3 or dl as wav and hot stick to my desktop and convert with LAME there.

Oh, that makes sense. Personally, I wouldn't use iTunes to rip CDs because it doesn't have a lot of flexibility. It would be better, in my opinion, to rip it and encode with LAME, but that's because I don't trust iTunes for anything except playing and organizing audio.

Guest bitroast

if using just go into settings > Import Settings and you can fiddle with compression settings. set it to 320 variable or fixed. it's what i used tbh cos its v easy

(altho i tend to have no idea where itunes saved the new files without immediately doing a file search for one of the tracks and finding the folder).

Archived