IGNORED

Cycling bikes

Schlitze

Here's my ride, a bike so uncool that it's probably unintentionally hipper than all of yours to some eyes.

hVOyMrt.jpg

That hub dynamo is one of those little things in life that can make me realize I'm living in what was once the future. Like talking to my car stereo.

my bike is a cheapo one from Decathlon. I guess it's a mountain bike cause the tires are not the ultra thin road ones. It's also got regular handelbars like manmower's, no curvy weird shit from the olympics. I ride it everyday to class and back 4 times a day, so I guess rougly ~40 minutes of biking every day? I don't know shit about bikes other than the essentials (how to patch and change tires, the odd chain fuckup)

what do you guys think about single speed bikes?

Honestly, I prefer riding a single speed because of the ease of use plus easy to maintain. Fixing a flat tire or modifying anything is a breeze compared to dealing with multiple gears.

what do you guys think about single speed bikes?

Pretty useless unless you live in a flat town where you don't need to change gear.

I like these bike pics, the retro bikes look in very good condition for their age. The early 90's Marin looks mint, what a bargain for 70.

I live in an extremely hilly city and my single speed does me just fine. If anything, it forces you to get stronger and/or plan better routes.

ad1ef7cb7da1e66f0666a91ecd22926d.jpg

My 1979 Soma Japanese road bike. I'm addicted as of around June of this year... hadn't ridden a bike in ages before that. You'll get used to it

post-7823-14433979411229_thumb.jpg

Edited by acroyear

A Fahrradmanufaktur - solid bikes but also heavy. A bike is not just a bike it has to feel right doesn't it, the best bike I ever had was a £100 Dawes Discovery, owned loads since and many haven't felt as good even with better frame/wheels/parts. I would consider one of those german ones though definitely.

one of these:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-aRyw0UjJdoo/T2zuDYstOGI/AAAAAAAACmc/C5r_PPyrYN0/s1600/IMG00875-20120322-1608.jpg

Its heavy but solidly built german bike, i wouldnt really recomend one I cant say I'v fallen in love with mine.

I ride it to work, 7 miles each way

Dawes bikes are solid, they're everywhere. I think it's a case of, if you look after the bike, the bike will look after you. Degrease your chain and give the cassette a spray after every few rides and you will get longevity.

OK, so i took my new cyclocross out for a spin through the city yesterday and i'm starting to like it. Posture still feels weird but it's damn fast. I shaved 5 mins off my commute to work this morning. Struggling a bit with how low your hands have to go on these weird bars but that'll take time. It's very sturdy with these tires, it seems to handle anything except boulders and rocks.

Pic from yesterday while it's still nice and new:

DSC02466.jpg

5 mins is a pretty big shave, nice! especially considering it looks like you're still on pretty fat tires. yr stem looks low compared to yr seat which is probably making yr reach further. my stem is jacked up so high on twice as many spacers as yours to try and get comfortable but i still feel like i want to raise my seat a bit which would put me further away from my bars =\

would probably be fine for racing/only working out but for commuting day to day i think i definitely need something more comfortable and less road/race inspired.

as far as taking care of your bike every few rides? meh... will post a picture of my baby when i get home

Dawes bikes are solid, they're everywhere. I think it's a case of, if you look after the bike, the bike will look after you. Degrease your chain and give the cassette a spray after every few rides and you will get longevity.

OK, so i took my new cyclocross out for a spin through the city yesterday and i'm starting to like it. Posture still feels weird but it's damn fast. I shaved 5 mins off my commute to work this morning. Struggling a bit with how low your hands have to go on these weird bars but that'll take time. It's very sturdy with these tires, it seems to handle anything except boulders and rocks.

Pic from yesterday while it's still nice and new:

DSC02466.jpg

where do you live? looks gorgeous

All i see in my bike route is shady laundromats and abandoned pizza places so you are fucking lucky lol

Edited by Deer

where do you live? looks gorgeous

All i see in my bike route is shady laundromats and abandoned pizza places so you are fucking lucky lol

That's a big chunk of ancient volcanic rock in the middle of Edinburgh called Salisbury Crag's and it's pretty much on my doorstep. I moved to this part of town in June, before that i was having to bike through pretty much the length of the city to get to work and it was all busy streets, traffic lights, etc. a slow way of getting around. It was depressing to go through that every day, i had to get a better location. I got lucky with where i'm at now, i've got a 2.5 mile journey every day and 2 miles of that is cycle path with no traffic. With the new bike i can get there in 10 mins meaning i can get out of bed 5 minutes later (alarm goes off at 8.25 and i'm in there for 9).

Commuting eats into a massive part the day for a lot of people, i cannot hack it at all.

Also, now that i don't need to use the MTB for a while i've stripped it down and started cleaning all the components.

DSC02472.jpg

I took off the disc rotor to sand down the edges and then got a little carried away.

• 3 weeks later...

I really need a new bike, I mean I have one currently, but I hate it... I had a nice Trek that was probably the best damn bike I've ever had, unfortunately it got stolen a couple summers ago. My girlfriend bought me a cheap Target brand bike just to have something to ride, but I really wish she had just given me money towards a better bike instead. This thing is the most uncomfortable piece of shit I've ever ridden, it literally hurts to ride for an extended period of time. It's like the crank and pedals are from a kids bike and they threw it on the larger frame.

I should hit up a local police auction next time they throw one, lots of unclaimed once stolen bikes they sell off for cheap.

so, bike lights.

no idea whats good, i want to be super visible and have them easily detachable so i can pocket them when i go into work.

anyone got any ideas? budget around 30-40 quid

thats pretty weird advice, there is absolutely no way a reflective bit of clothing is as visible as a light. i already wear hi-vis but it isnt enough. its also illegal to cycle at night without lights

unless that was just a strange joke

I don't know man, when I just had lights cars just ignored me, almost got run over a few times, but now cars see me from a distance cause you look radioactive with those safety things on, drivers pay more attention to you.

If having lights is the law where you live just ignore me my safety shirt is just useless advise them

Edited by Deer

so, bike lights.

no idea whats good, i want to be super visible and have them easily detachable so i can pocket them when i go into work.

anyone got any ideas? budget around 30-40 quid

If ur in UK decathlon do a bunch decent lights all charged via USB. I've stopped using lights powered by batteries cos they would always lose power going over rough surfaces cos of the batteries momentarily breaking circuit. No matter what brand I try I always got that fucking problem. Probs not an issue for bikes with suspension and fat tyres

I've been meaning to buy a decent front light for years. All the AA battery ones I've had have broken through the years or fallen off and smashed. I wanted to get a heavy duty rechargeable one, not just for the purpose of being seen in the dark by cars, but one that you could take into the wilderness and see the trail ahead. So i just picked up this one for £50 on ebay.

hope-vision-1-led-universal-front-light-

Nice and small so it doesn't clutter the handlebars and really bright

1288344668361-1r3hyno8i6m7p-500-70.jpg

With the nights drawing in it's a good investment, and a reason to go out onto the trails which are busy during the day with hikers and dog walkers, I've almost run over a few chihuahua's and daschunds coming round a bend a speed and had to slam on the brakes.

Will also get the illuminous safety t-shirt to compliment the look :-)