IGNORED

Cycling bikes

Schlitze

oh just read @phling's posts. any reason you'd take the long haul trucker over the cross check? it was my first new commuter bike. has all the braze-ons for racks/fenders and can take up to crazy fat tires if you ever decide you wanna go that route. i had one for about 7 months before it got totaled. then i got a pacer thinking i wanted something sportier. wish i'd just gotten another cross check.

2016-Surly-Cross-Check-Black-1024x641.jp

i took mine on a couple of big rides (30+ and maybe a metric? but i was still pretty new to it and hadn't done many long rides yet) and i was able to keep up with the some of the hardcore dudes on carbon and 19mm tires clipped in just due to the fact that i was riding every day.

The crappy bike I got for 200 euros has cost me more in repairs than the original price was. Last week the left pedal just broke in two while I was going uphill and really cranking on it.. Got it fixed today.

Also got my winter tires with studs under and one of the studs was pushed through by a piece of gravel and it punctured the inner tube, twice.  :facepalm:

biking is awesome! did some short bikepacking tours last summer and now i am hooked. riding in winter though....

j73xv9.jpg

you're a boss for riding in that. my commutes have been dry but lows in the teens and windchill to 5 degrees. i never get warm all day once i get to work. go straight home and jump in a hot bath

yeh.. I’d like some snow like this here, but so far the winter tyres have proven 199% useless, they were fkn loud & slow... stowed them away.

@juiceciuj yay that Cross Check frame is in the short list! the LHT was the only Surly I was familiar with.. these Surlys have something, gotta decide if I want a more classic looking bike like that or some more modern cut.. not easy!

other than that, bumped the budget up to 2K euros... so I’ll probably get Shimano 105 gearing / drive + hydraulic disks... should leave plenty for frame + starter wheels..

also, made a mistake & found these guys:

http://www.fern-fahrraeder.de/arbeiten/chuck/

DSCF4987.jpg

they don’t even have price tags & you have to wait one year for them to build the custom fkn bike, for the ultimTe rich kid to hang it on the bedroom wall

i spent 1200 on a bike i wanted to be the ultimate commuter/exercise bike (the surly pacer) but ultimately didn't ever keep up with the cleaning and stuff when riding in shit conditions (it rains a lot here). so now that's just my workout bike and i bought an old trek frame (85) and built up a singlespeed commuter for $400. 

it's that special kind of lazy where i can't be arsed to clean the gears/lube the chain after a good rain but i'll ride where every pedal stroke uphill is harder because i don't have gears -_-

oh btw you can probably get a surly knockoff for a fraction of the price. know that unless you're getting a custom built frame they're almost all pumped out of like 5 factories in china/taiwan now. personally i like the old skinny cylinder steel tubes vs the big obnoxious carbon/aluminum frames. 

that fern does look pretty hawt. 

i spent 1200 on a bike i wanted to be the ultimate commuter/exercise bike (the surly pacer) but ultimately didn't ever keep up with the cleaning and stuff when riding in shit conditions (it rains a lot here). so now that's just my workout bike and i bought an old trek frame (85) and built up a singlespeed commuter for $400.

it's that special kind of lazy where i can't be arsed to clean the gears/lube the chain after a good rain but i'll ride where every pedal stroke uphill is harder because i don't have gears -_-

whatever, attacking hills is where it’s at and i have more fun on my single speed than my geared bike. like i get actively frustrated when i have to shift down because of the kaCHUNKs

yo phling, if i had your budget i would get this:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/crosstrail-elite-carbon/p/128955?color=239893-128955

if you're riding on occasionally rough roads/cobblestones/bumps, the front shocks are essential & will save your wrists. and you can lock it with one twist of a lever if you want a rigid fork.

in wet conditions, the disc brakes are life savers and require less maintenence & adjustment than rim brakes.

the carbon frame is light & absorbs vibration.

if you want to save your ass & back some pain, get this seat: https://www.amazon.com/Serfas-Suspension-Hybrid-Bicycle-Saddle/dp/B000UO6LJA/

haven't owned a car since 2002. ride my bike everyday. worked a bike courier job for 4 years. the above is what i've learned worked best for urban courier & commuting use.

my current ride: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/crosstrail-disc/p/126335?color=208463-126335

my bike is nowhere near as nice as the one i'm recommending for you and its a great bike. solid & dependable. you really don't need to spend more than $800 - $900 or so to get a really solid bike even for 8 hours a day heavy courier use, but if you have the budget then go for it. i am totally sold on the specialized crosstrails.

aye! thx for the recommends.. yea would probably love a lockout suspension fork tbh! started looking for bikes with drop bars & suspension, first one that came up was this:

CDale-Slate-small-2.jpg

bicycle-times-first-impression-cannondal

(Cannondale Slate)

it pushed the sequoia down from #1 do-want list, but is too expensive... but damn this is the kind of military-sorta looking weird sexy bike thing I want..

the Crosstrail does look capable! It’s on the list :)

Edited by Guest

yeh, gotta be smot... with that money one could also just decide to skip the cycling entirely and get into eurorack

(hahaha just kidding that would not be smot)

srsly tho, prob gonna be piecing it together from parts anyway, but that sex fork would bump the price by another 1000 lolol... this isn’t too far off from eurorack building...

is there something like modulargrid but for bikes...?

Just put some moustache bars on my Trek 520. Looks alright though didn't have any flat bar brake levers so had to use drop bars horizontally, whilst not the best, certainly up to the job. If you can find an old Trek 520 touring bike second hand, I'd recommend them to anyone. Old school steel frame with touring spec and built for strength without the Thorn or Surly price tag. 

• 4 months later...

my bike, which i commute with throughout the year including the hellish winters of the upper Midwest, was just stolen from behind 3 locked doors in my apartment building. bout 2 cry and convert to the hard right.

That blows, man. Hopefully you find a good replacement.

Thx mang. not the best time for me financially but I am excited to get something cool.

Edited by Alcofribas

my bike, which i commute with throughout the year including the hellish winters of the upper Midwest, was just stolen from behind 3 locked doors in my apartment building. bout 2 cry and convert to the hard right.

Damn, super sorry to hear :(  I had my bike stolen in college and it was devastating, as I had put hard work into turning it from a total beater into a less-shitty road steed.  But there is hope, I was able to move on when I found a new one to put love and care into.. and now wouldnt have it any other way.  So best of luck on a new bike-journey.

When i get the chance ill take some pics of my bike, its not flashy but probably my most beloved possession, considering i use it almost every day.

Edited by Marked x 0ne