IGNORED

Cycling bikes

Schlitze

• 1 month later...

no big story but cycled from the start of the Grand Union Canal (slough arm) all the way to Paddington Basin and hopped on the train home

usually I'd hook north at the end of the slough arm and head up towards Denham and Harefield (very picturesque and good pub Old Orchard) ending at Batchworth then turning around coming home but decided to head towards the city, pretty cool to ride all the way into the City of London without seeing a single car, also kind of cool it's only a short hop from there to Camden. Something special about cycling canals they are ghost highways silently running through so much noise and traffic

left my house at 7am got on the GUC at 7.20am got the 9.45am train home, first beer in the garden at 11am, job done

Edited by beerwolf

• 1 year later...

single speed all pedal no thinking bar bike commuter etc. bought at a pawn shop for $200. fixed i tup a bit. love riding it. so fast and fun. all steel

sold this bike a couple years ago. full carbon ridiculous road bike. great on climbs not so fun on descents because twitchy handling. fast though. 18 lbs!

salsa Vaya best bike ever. steel through and through. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lapis Lazuli said:

wow nice!. expensive tho... what is the bike next to half a car lol

that was the Scott i owned. CR1 i think. I bought it at a plce in portland that is the outlet of a big bike shop. They hold on to the older previous year things that didn't sell and sell them reduced. so that bike was a previous year model and I got it for $1500 i think. Rode it for a year or so and sold it. . 

The grey bike is a salsa vaya. I bought new in 2012? i think. It'll last forever barring any accidents that mangle it. it was around $1300 new but i upgraded the gear situation and that was like $300 or something. great bike. so smooth and awesome for long rides. I've hit 45mph on it on some descents. it's so solid/steady/smooth. it's heavy though and meant to be loaded with bags and used for touring. back when i was riding a lot i would routinely do 150-200 miles a week w/lot's of hills and stuff. i miss those days. there were times when i didn't drive my car but once or twice a month to the grocery store and that's it. i rode everywhere.

anyway.. the only bikes i have now are the vaya and the brown SE Lager thrift store bike. it's a 2007 model. all i did was replace the bottom bracket and give it a tune up and new bar tape. 

Edited by ignatius

I've been riding the same single speed bike since about 2011 and I'm feeling my age start to creep in. I need to get a bike with gears eventually.

• Like 1

I've been riding the same single speed bike since about 2011 and I'm feeling my age start to creep in. I need to get a bike with gears eventually.

I need the gears when there’s hills especially. The single soles I ride is reasonable. I think my knees would explode if I tried to ride a hill on it.

Gears are great if I’m tired or sore. Or feeling good and want to go faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current state of my mtb which I've been building back up from scratch after sending the frame back to the factory for a repaint

DSC-1168.jpg

DSC-1172.jpg

DSC-1173.jpg

I've loosely assembled it together to take to a bike shop to do the finishing touches that I don't have the tools for, bottom bracket and headset fitted, gears sorted out. I phoned round all bike shops in my area and they all  said no, all booked out. I said sheeeyit..butI'm not going to mess with it, temping as it is.. i'd rather let the expert fix it, while its tempting, experience has taught me some shit will cost you more in the end if you think you're a wizard from youtube tutorials and get too complex 

• Like 4

Did a 120km ride (~1km elevation gain) this weekend, from doorstep all the way to the border of the neighboring state of morelos. The path is a disused railway that they converted into a bike path, with nice infrastructure (food, lockers, repair stations) along the way.  Nice smooth grade since it used to be for trains.  Once you get outside of the city it goes through some awesome volcanic landscapes.

Only downside was that I forgot to sunscreen my legs (its easy to forget while biking since the wind makes you feel 'cool') and they are red like lobsters today

WHI0hHe.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Braintree said:

That's so dope. I wish there were some kind of bike highway around here.

there's a few in cali. definitely in idaho and some oregon too. there's a super long one on east coast and more being built. 

the "rails to trails" thing is big all over.. here's the site.. you can find out what's near you

https://www.traillink.com

lot's of info here on routes if you want to just jump on the road. 

https://www.adventurecycling.org/members/

1 hour ago, ignatius said:

there's a few in cali. definitely in idaho and some oregon too. there's a super long one on east coast and more being built. 

the "rails to trails" thing is big all over.. here's the site.. you can find out what's near you

https://www.traillink.com

lot's of info here on routes if you want to just jump on the road. 

https://www.adventurecycling.org/members/

Ehhh I've ridden all over SF and it's kind of funny for them to mark some of these as trails. Some of them are just part of the Mile 49 "trail." Nearly the entire route requires you ride with cars. And a lot of these are mixed running/walking trails.

The closest actual trail is near Rockaway Beach in Pacifica and it doesn't last too long. I actually rode down highway 1 to get down there once. Perhaps the most terrifying ride of my life. My friend and I were told that locals do that all the time. We were literally on the fucking highway!

That Adventure Cycling page is decent, but I'm talking about a literal highway for bikes. No cars. I think construction on one had begun a few years ago, but I can't remember the details about it.

Interesting bike history: https://www.vox.com/2015/6/30/8861327/bike-lanes-history

17 minutes ago, Braintree said:

Ehhh I've ridden all over SF and it's kind of funny for them to mark some of these as trails. Some of them are just part of the Mile 49 "trail." Nearly the entire route requires you ride with cars. And a lot of these are mixed running/walking trails.

The closest actual trail is near Rockaway Beach in Pacifica and it doesn't last too long. I actually rode down highway 1 to get down there once. Perhaps the most terrifying ride of my life. My friend and I were told that locals do that all the time. We were literally on the fucking highway!

That Adventure Cycling page is decent, but I'm talking about a literal highway for bikes. No cars. I think construction on one had begun a few years ago, but I can't remember the details about it.

Interesting bike history: https://www.vox.com/2015/6/30/8861327/bike-lanes-history

they don't call it 'adventure cycling' for nothing. ?

most routes here are w/cars as well but many are pretty chill. there's sometimes some shitty transitions between different roads. I've ridden on some highspeed roads for certain stretches but quite straight so not a bunch of curvy roads which can be sketch. 

the 'rails to trails' thing is pretty good thing to check out if there's one near you. there's one near here that i haven't checked out.  i haven't messed w/any gravel routes but there's  a lot of them around that are minus any cars.  

a friend of mine pretty much just mtn bikes now to avoid cars and enjoy the outdoors. 

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, iococoi said:

really liking those SUB style cargos..

LPP_HOME_2.jpg

that's a fuckn bike truck! dope. a friend used to ride one all over seattle to make deliveries for a bakery. i think his had a road bike rear end though so big wheel in the back. 

the frame is actually quite affordable..440€ inkl. fork and front rack..

https://shop.lepetitporteur.com/en/17-22-le-petit-porteur-frame-set-with-front-rack.html#/frame_color-black

i was looking into omniums, but frame-set brute is starting at 750€/920$ for the mini..and 1100€/1300$ for the mini-max..too much

Omnium-Mini-2.jpg

i like those..

https://bikeindex.org/bikes/410998

large_IMG_1214.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Haahaa, I still ride my trusty kona jake 2015 cx bike the most, even though i have a specialized single speed and a kona mountain bike. The jake has seen about 20000 km now, and almost all of the parts have been replaced at least once. 

This summers highlights cycling-wise are a 5 night bikepacking trip going around the biggest lake (saimaa) in finland and a I managed to do a 200km brevet at the end of august. Some shorter bike packing trips of course.

Bike is still the one and only means of transportation for me (and my family). I basically go everywhere by bike and riding makes me so happy. Perfect way to stay in touch with the nature and stay in shape as well. 

We have 2 year old who loves to travel in the trailer. 

Cycling has transformed my life. I love the time on the bike. It is meditative af when you ride more than couple of hours in one sitting. 

Anyway this is sort of a love letter to cycling :)

https://ibb.co/V3FwNrb

• Like 4