IGNORED

Powell v Steve Albini

Richie Sombrero

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pretty lol, but then he produces some whiny, sentimental Spanish indie band and doesn't even piss on their instruments

yes, this was produced by steve albini

Hahahaha, oh wow. Why does every single spanish indie band sound exactly the same? Jesus

Also, this

This guy has been an old man for a long, long time
Lol yeah. His gripe gets more focused and reasonable as time passes, though. I like dancing, watching people dance, and music that compels me to dance, but I'm not a fan of "club culture" or vapid disco spinoffs either.

• 3 years later...

Just cracked open the Big Black discog for the second time ever.  Lungs EP isn't very good, but not bad for a first effort by a 19 year old.  He's sure been at it a long time.  I was just getting born when he did this.  Hope he does a dance EP some day.

Also, lots of great entries in the "big black" search results.

Albini is one of my favorite people in music these days. I find myself agreeing on a lot of things plus he’s a god for working with Neurosis for so many albums. Plus Blessed Black Black Wings by High on Fire and all kinds of good shit. He’s as much of an expert as RDJ is when it comes to their respective disciplines and there are quite a few YouTube videos to prove it. He’s a lot more welcoming than his reputation suggests.

7 hours ago, Candiru said:

Albini is one of my favorite people in music these days. I find myself agreeing on a lot of things plus he’s a god for working with Neurosis for so many albums. Plus Blessed Black Black Wings by High on Fire and all kinds of good shit. He’s as much of an expert as RDJ is when it comes to their respective disciplines and there are quite a few YouTube videos to prove it. He’s a lot more welcoming than his reputation suggests.

Agreed.

Nah. He had it dialed in for Bulldozer and Racer-X though.  Just gave those another listen.  I agree with his own assessment of Lungs - possibly his weakest work.  But also that's to be expected considering he had no musical experience at that point and was still a kid.

Atomizer LP is very good. 

But for some reason on the version I have the song Big Money is half the volume of everything else.  I had to max the volume on my lap top and switch to VLC media player to crank the volume there to 150% (or whatever the max is in that player) just for that one song... which made Kerosene excruciatingly loud.  Are legit copies of the album like that, or am I just being punished for being a pirate?

Huh.  Weird.  I wonder how someone managed to fuck up the rip in that particular way.  Aside from the volume issue, the quality of the encoding itself is fine.  

You're right about Kerosene.  

I was the one who discovered Big Black and then the one who played Kerosene first to all my local metal/alternative/grunge mates. And it blew their heads off! I did that numerous times over the years. I tested their boundaries with early Aphex Twin but that was a failure, they all sat their grimacing and was told ‘that if I find this entertaining then we feel sorry for you’

Yeah! Creeping Death!!!’

Archived