IGNORED

Autechre Live. Metro. Chicago, IL 09/29/2015

donotseemecricket

how many recordings of this NA tour do we have already? I only have seattle and chicago. would be really nice to have them in one place. a new thread or something?

thanks to the guys for uploading and all the anecdotes and reports :)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how many recordings of this NA tour do we have already? I only have seattle and chicago. would be really nice to have them in one place. a new thread or something?

thanks to the guys for uploading and all the anecdotes and reports :)

there's boston recorded with iphone over here

Once the tour is over I'm sure we can compile all the recordings into one post/thread.

On a side note tho, going back to what æ are doing live now and the way they are approaching making/building music/instruments… this approach seems to be much like what Squarepusher is doing with Damogen Furies and his live sets. Where what they do in the studio is essentially what they are doing live now.
Has anyone else talked/thought about this simmilarity before?

Once the tour is over I'm sure we can compile all the recordings into one post/thread.

On a side note tho, going back to what æ are doing live now and the way they are approaching making/building music/instruments… this approach seems to be much like what Squarepusher is doing with Damogen Furies and his live sets. Where what they do in the studio is essentially what they are doing live now.

I was listening to this set on my commute this morning (amazing, i got lost in it) and imagining a squarepusher set being more like autechre live:
- no masks, no visuals just sound - I could live with that
- no straight album tracks but rather live jams using sequences, patches etc
- i'm not generally keen on a live set having the same track order as the latest album but in fairness TJ has mixed different albums/EPS into his sets but not on this tour
As for autehcre doing things like squarepusher? Nah, they're perfect!

I guess I didn't mean so much the sounds they make… they're very much their own styles, moreso the way they are going about making their music. What they do in the studio can be directly taken to the live stage with this kind of set up. Building their own software and instruments… I was reading an interview with TJ in The Quietus (http://thequietus.com/articles/17497-squarepusher-interview) and some stuff he was saying made me think of what æ was saying in that Vice interview posted earlier in this thread. (https://thump.vice.com/en_us/article/autechre-is-still-more-post-human-than-you-are)

TJ: "It’s something that has sprung from the nature of how the music has been constructed. Its utilising a software set up that I’ve designed myself. What happens in the studio is technically the same thing that happens on the stage.

For example on this [Damogen Furies], quite frankly what I did on the studio is what I’ll be doing on stage which is running a sequencer and doing some live tweaks. With the new set up if I just press play on the sequencer and record it, you’ve got roughly a bit for bit version of what will be happening on stage. Yes it’s all being generated live, yes I’ve got the flexibility to change it live but actually the differences between that and when you’d have a group playing are quite significant.

One of the more dispiriting things I think about endless touring is hearing the same piece of music over and over again and I end up feeling like a fraud.

My plan is if you come to the shows in the first run of dates the versions you’ll hear live are quite close to the record. But because I can set this up identically afterwards in a hotel room I can actually work when I’m on the move. The aim is that all the pieces will have had substantial remixes and different parts added and subtracted. The whole album is evolving as I go. So by the end of the tour it will be a different live experience."

So yeah, obviously SP and æ have their own sound and way to create music, but I guess I thought it was interesting that they both are going about it in the same way. Which I suppose is not so uncommon.

Also in another interview I read, Squarepusher said he used to play in complete darkness and hide behind the PA, because he hated having to have a stage presence. But he later decided to approach that in a more positive way by covering his body with LED screens.

I'm not trying to argue that what these guys doing are one in the same, I just thought it was cool to notice simmilarities. And the different ways they go about expressing their creativity.

Here you go.

Goddamn Chicago is a chatty crowd. One of my favorite things that I hear someone say at every Ae show is that they expected it to be weirder; always as a coded way to try and say they don't like it but want to keep their hipster XP.

the link doesn't work anymore!

can you reup it? pls

I like recordings like this because I've seen Ae 3 times live so i know how it sounds to be in that room with the beats and the darkness, when i hear the new beats i combine them with my memories of the old gigs and i'm back there getting into it and raving.

Here you go.

Goddamn Chicago is a chatty crowd. One of my favorite things that I hear someone say at every Ae show is that they expected it to be weirder; always as a coded way to try and say they don't like it but want to keep their hipster XP.

thx.

dat ending

8887137-1420295636.png

Srsly, it's like the ending of Utrecht but extended to a whopping half an hour, for that alone this is my fav of the bunch right now, decent recording quality, too... Big thanks again to datastream!

i asked in the other U.S. thread but i thought i'd try here... Does anyone know what/who rob hall was playing in chicago (or elsewhere)? a lot of it was pretty fucking great and i didn't recognize any of it.

I guess I didn't mean so much the sounds they make… they're very much their own styles, moreso the way they are going about making their music. What they do in the studio can be directly taken to the live stage with this kind of set up. Building their own software and instruments… I was reading an interview with TJ in The Quietus (http://thequietus.com/articles/17497-squarepusher-interview) and some stuff he was saying made me think of what æ was saying in that Vice interview posted earlier in this thread. (https://thump.vice.com/en_us/article/autechre-is-still-more-post-human-than-you-are)

TJ: "It’s something that has sprung from the nature of how the music has been constructed. Its utilising a software set up that I’ve designed myself. What happens in the studio is technically the same thing that happens on the stage.

For example on this [Damogen Furies], quite frankly what I did on the studio is what I’ll be doing on stage which is running a sequencer and doing some live tweaks. With the new set up if I just press play on the sequencer and record it, you’ve got roughly a bit for bit version of what will be happening on stage. Yes it’s all being generated live, yes I’ve got the flexibility to change it live but actually the differences between that and when you’d have a group playing are quite significant.

One of the more dispiriting things I think about endless touring is hearing the same piece of music over and over again and I end up feeling like a fraud.

My plan is if you come to the shows in the first run of dates the versions you’ll hear live are quite close to the record. But because I can set this up identically afterwards in a hotel room I can actually work when I’m on the move. The aim is that all the pieces will have had substantial remixes and different parts added and subtracted. The whole album is evolving as I go. So by the end of the tour it will be a different live experience."

So yeah, obviously SP and æ have their own sound and way to create music, but I guess I thought it was interesting that they both are going about it in the same way. Which I suppose is not so uncommon.

Also in another interview I read, Squarepusher said he used to play in complete darkness and hide behind the PA, because he hated having to have a stage presence. But he later decided to approach that in a more positive way by covering his body with LED screens.

I'm not trying to argue that what these guys doing are one in the same, I just thought it was cool to notice simmilarities. And the different ways they go about expressing their creativity.

im going to be 'that guy' again but I can't help but feel like Squarepusher's alleged reaktor show patches and Autechres max/msp patches arent being portrayed necessarily accurately by either artist.

Until i see an actual video of Autechre or Squarepusher spitting out a current new style track of theirs with a patch (and also playing with that patch enough to show that it can make a whole new song section that wasnt prearranged or sequenced) i have a bit of a hard time buying the conceit. it does feel a bit like the mythos aphex,rdj, ae has tried to build around themselves before. Aphex is literally the only one who has 'proven' most of his claims at this point, but even he used to say shit like 'i made software to make my songs for me' during the RDJ album tour.

maybe im crazy but if Tom and Sean & Rob had patches that made new music in realtime for them, why are we hearing so many distinct similarities in the different sets? In that 'drunken rant' thread this is the one thing that stuck for me, like what if Autechre found themselves in a moment where within the first 10 minutes of a tour set, the audience wasn't feeling it *at all*. Would they even have the option with this 'real-time song generating patch' setup to veer off course and do something completely different or new from what we've already heard? I still don't think we have an answer to that.

edit: just to clarify, there have been instances in the past where it's pretty clear certain AE tracks were generated from a patch,the problem i'm having is that when Sean claims they can pretty much make a whole album now in real-time (or thats the goal they have in mind) how much composition or track elements are already in these patches to the extent that they are not that changeable? Meaning that do they just make a patch thats basically playing back a very specifically constructed 'song' with some dynamic slightly random parameters? One way to read what he's saying (mostly responding to the Vice interview) is that these patches can create new songs each time they use them, and Im not really sure if thats what he means, since if that was the case we'd hear more examples of that. The opaqueness of their working method still causes a lot of this confusion for me, and I suppose ultimately it doesn't matter. For whatever reason they've continued to put a layer of mystery over their production methods.

At the Dublin gig last xmas, a friend of a friend who picked the up at the airport said they explained their whole setup and even showed him in soundcheck. I'll see can i get any info....i was only told this secondhand......leave it with me...

Would they even have the option with this 'real-time song generating patch' setup to veer off course and do something completely different or new from what we've already heard?

In a controlled way during live conditions (aka limited amount of time)? No, IMO.

The problem is not the logic itself but to control the logic and creating something completely new (what that means is relative, because music itself is limited) and meaningful at the same time within a limited amount of time (live).

If it was that easy and feasible we would be hearing new music every Ae's set. Having said that, I definitely did spot moments in their current sets where they lost it, IMO (a bug, a human-input-caused error) so it is not as if the set was automated 100%.

And then there is the sound-design aspect of it. How would you change that? That is even more tricky than to change tempo, or rhythm/melody rules. More tricky at least in a meaningful way.

You can write an algorithm that would produce a meaningful album. But in order to produce a completely different meaningful album, you would have to rewrite the algorithm again or let it random and hope for the best, IMO.

I am not an expert on math and generative music though so I may be completely wrong (and would love to have more insight on that from the guys themselves).

not to knock your stuff but that sounds absolutely no where close to the level of sound mastery AE are at with max/msp, texturally or compositionally

Exactly my point.

I also did not understand why are we supposed to "stand corrected". What was your point, noairbag?

Archived