IGNORED

Squarepusher: 10 songs that taught me how to play bass

fenton

You might expect Tom Jenkinson to have been inspired by jazz-fusion maestros, and he was. But Senseless Things? Here’s his list of the giants of bass who helped get him started

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2015/oct/02/squarepusher-10-songs-that-taught-me-how-to-play-bass

After school one day a guy starting talking to me about the bass in my hand. It turned out that he was in a band and they needed a bassist. It also turned out that there was a band member who was a Jehovah’s Witness who wasn’t allowed to do gigs (all of the time I was in the band I never actually met him), but who would nonetheless speak his opinions through two of the other members. It was a prog rock band so it was supposed to be confusing I guess, but nonetheless they introduced me to some very weird and wonderful music including this incredible song featuring monolithic bass from Chris Squire. As for the school prog band, the rest of the group also became Jehovah’s Witnesses and they had to disband.

Say whaaaaaaaaat?? If anyone else said that I'd assume they were taking the piss, but Tom seems to be 100% straight talker all the time. Anyway.... that's fucking hilarious and amazing.

Archived