Anyway, what I wanted to clarify is that hardware boxes can be good for their DSP. It is fast and suitable for real-time audio manipulation without latency. That can be problematic with computers because typical OSes tend to hassle with data flow a lot.

So yeah, if I was playing the guitar I would definitely use dedicated FX units too.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chesney

No offence Jev but if you have not had anymore experience with hardware than the MPC then it's going to be hard to take you seriously.

Basically, software is so good now that the sound is pretty indistinguishable. Sure, there is still certain feels you cannot replicate with software and there are loads of limitations with hardware but it's a personal thing.

I too hated the MPC, I tried and while I could see the potential, it did not fit me at all. But I am a hardware geek.

I glaze over when I look at software interfaces but am trying stuff out and I totally see how powerful and amazing sounding software is.

Not one is above the other. And yes, some hardware is stupidly overpriced but you pay for the engineering as opposed to coding.

Anyway, sorry OP. Get a cheap synth and some tweak able effects. You could literally use anything and could get a great noise setup from ebay for less than £100

Fair enough that the workflow wasn't for you, but not everyone looks that horse square in the mouth, for example:

Sorry, what was the point? Or was Fol3 made exclusively in MPC?

Of course you can do this with hardware (Quaristice reportedly took 6 months to edit in a DAW though) but I was talking about general workflow and capabilities and money. If you can afford a modular, you can be very experimental indeed. It will still be slow and PITA to rewire everything without being able to save the patches though.

You can create this in a DAW in a more flexible and quicker way. That is my point.

No offence Jev but if you have not had anymore experience with hardware than the MPC then it's going to be hard to take you seriously.

Basically, software is so good now that the sound is pretty indistinguishable. Sure, there is still certain feels you cannot replicate with software and there are loads of limitations with hardware but it's a personal thing.

I too hated the MPC, I tried and while I could see the potential, it did not fit me at all. But I am a hardware geek.

I glaze over when I look at software interfaces but am trying stuff out and I totally see how powerful and amazing sounding software is.

Not one is above the other. And yes, some hardware is stupidly overpriced but you pay for the engineering as opposed to coding.

Anyway, sorry OP. Get a cheap synth and some tweak able effects. You could literally use anything and could get a great noise setup from ebay for less than £100

No offence taken. If you are a gear-fetishist and the feel of the system is important to you then I understand you prefer "hardware" (a computer with a dedicated DSP chip and dedicated interface). I prefer control, precision and flexibility. It is also important for my ADHD creativity to make anything I want quickly. If I want to mangle a sound in a certain way a box does not support then I am fucked. On PC, I just google it and download an open-source solution. Works for me.

Guest Chesney

That's wicked man. It's amazing how different we all are. I wish people would know more about what they want and then maybe would try different things to get there instead of just copying peers and making elitist trends in both worlds.

Individualism is rare nowadays.

Also there's something very satisfying about getting good sounds from limited tools. This is one reason you can make the pro-software argument all day every day and not be objectively wrong at all but still miss the forest for the trees. If you don't find that kind of boy scout / MacGyver attitude romantic (I do, depending on my mood) then sure, just roll your own megatool with the computer.

Anyway, sorry for monopolizing your thread. Last 2 cents: buy a Tascam 424, some tapes, some 1/4" -> RCA cables, and a miniKP. Run the mini KP on the send, record it feeding back into itself onto a track or two, and then make it dub itself of it by sending the previous recordings back into it. This is a pretty sweet minimal noise setup and I imagine you could even perform live with it if you get creative. If I ever bother to upload some of the recordings I made with this setup I'll share them.

I believe it was.

Yeah, whatever floats your boat, Chesney.

The reason why I am a bit militant here (and I am sorry for that) is that I often see people complaining how much money you need to produce quality music while the opposite is true. It can be very, very cheap if you don't listen to the myths the companies are spreading in the audio/music world.

Guest Chesney

I don't think that's true at all. Mags like SOS and Future Music etc etc show more producers with minimal setups and use predominantly software and those who have the token Juno or 101 freely admit that they gather dust and rarely appear on the track while they applaude the fact they sound amazing. People do have hardware as a sort of medal while still using software because it's quicker and easier to integrate into their music.

Software reigns supreme in production land especially for electronic music but there is huge potential with hybrid setups and people are beginning to see that but only if they enjoy the work that comes with it.

I personally pretty much make my music dated because of the way I like to work, I'll never have a current sound or get anywhere because of it, that's all good because I don't like to compromise how I get my kicks making music.

Also there's something very satisfying about getting good sounds from limited tools. This is one reason you can make the pro-software argument all day every day and not be objectively wrong at all but still miss the forest for the trees. If you don't find that kind of boy scout / MacGyver attitude romantic (I do, depending on my mood) then sure, just roll your own megatool with the computer.

Yes, that is something I enjoy too, when I am in a mood for tweaking without any goal. I like to relax with Blofeld because it is nice to not sit in front of the computer screen from time to time. But I prefer PC when I actually produce music that is supposed to be fully realized and finished, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, if Blofeld wasn't so buggy and had more options I can imagine using it much more. That is true. I would love to have a completely virtual-modular hardware box with dedicated buttons and e-book-reader-like display and lots of processing power. That would be fun to design sounds with. But then the part of actually automating the whole thing and dealing with latency and other MIDI to DAW problems and my dreams change to nightmares...

I believe it was.

Vanilla or JJOS? And source?

I don't think that's true at all. Mags like SOS and Future Music etc etc show more producers with minimal setups and use predominantly software and those who have the token Juno or 101 freely admit that they gather dust and rarely appear on the track while they applaude the fact they sound amazing. People do have hardware as a sort of medal while still using software because it's quicker and easier to integrate into their music.

Software reigns supreme in production land especially for electronic music but there is huge potential with hybrid setups and people are beginning to see that but only if they enjoy the work that comes with it.

I personally pretty much make my music dated because of the way I like to work, I'll never have a current sound or get anywhere because of it, that's all good because I don't like to compromise how I get my kicks making music.

Sure. But I recalled this thread.

And then I see on youtube what kind of super-basic, generic music people produce on their Elektron trinities or modular synths...

I believe it was.

Vanilla or JJOS? And source?

No hard evidence but lots pointing in that direction.

OK, I haven't noticed anything about Fol3 in any interview I know.

I can only guess what combination of techniques was used for it.

And then I see on youtube what kind of super-basic, generic music people produce on their Elektron trinities or modular synths...

It's people that do that kind of music, not the elektrons. They are just poor boxes beeing abused in misguided ways by boring people.

A microphone, a computer with some sort of line-in recording, and a speaker.

Put the microphone up to the speaker and press record.

Leave the room and do something else.

Come back and pitch shift everything down by like 5 octaves

You will have one noise track ready to go.

I'm going to try this with my Octatrack just to be as contrarian as possible.

I'm going to try this with my Octatrack just to be as contrarian as possible.

Hahah. I've done it before but I kept moving the mic back and forth to change the timbre and pitch. So I guess you shouldn't technically leave the room.

Guest Chesney

It's people that do that kind of music, not the elektrons. They are just poor boxes beeing abused in misguided ways by boring people.

Poor boxes as in bad gear or poor as in "oh no, think of the poor elektrons"?

My argument in this battle is that I work in front of a mac all day, using similar skills to the ones I use when making music on a computer (technical graphics work), so when I get home the last thing I want to do is sit in front of the computer with my mouse and keyboard to make music, especially noise.

I admit there are people out there making amazing noise/experimental music with software, but when it comes to live noise performance I'd much rather see Justice Yeldham spluttering and cutting himself up with a contact mic-laden sheet of glass than Pita sitting motionless at a laptop while brutal noise comes out, even if Pita's stuff sounds better.

jev youre spamming this thread what is wrong with you ? i asked about making "music" without computer and you start arguing about the advantages of pc software music ....

anyway thx for the help guys i now have some good informations :)

jev youre spamming this thread what is wrong with you ? i asked about making "music" without computer and you start arguing about the advantages of pc software music ....

anyway thx for the help guys i now have some good informations :)

Ha ha, I am just trying to save you some money, mate. I thought you were an inexperienced lost soul needed to be saved from unnecessary spending thinking HW is a "proper" way to do music. Sorry.

Anyway, to give you a tip: one interesting technique is you can abuse your burned CDs with a pen and knife to produce glitches and noises. You will probably need a CD player with a strong laser to read them though. Also, you have to be very careful with amount of damage you do to the disks because there is a very thin line between a glitching disc and a disc that cannot be read at all (it also probably depends on the CD player if it refuses to read a damaged disc). I tried it myself and failed but there was some website with tutorials for this. I believe Oval and Terre Thaemlitz produced their music like that.

You can also abuse your tapes but make sure you have a plentiful resource of them.

Archived