IGNORED

Fascism In Ambient Music Culture

triachus

I hate how some of these nazi punk / fascist bands sort of try to hide or are coy about their affiliations.

also if you're a band that isn't explicitly fascist but you associate with many bands that are, or are on a label that is known for it, you're a pussy. i think racism and fascism is the sort of thing where if you're not explicitly against it, then you're basically supporting it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the article gets a shit load of important stuff wrong but I think there is a valid argument to be made about artists like Cut Hands appropriating exploitative 'Mondo Cane' style imagery from African cultures to create some kind of aesthetic package to accompany his cracker-ass horrible renditions of tribal music. Its not hard to see sort of his minstrel theatre approach to his aesthetic, and even if the music was even a remotely authentic rendition of tribal beats, his imagery is still inappropriate and crass.

artists like Death in June, Current 93 and Boyd Rice have openly toyed with fasicst imagery and belief systems, probably in part as a piss-poor generic way of being 'shocking' but unfortunately its not just a shock tactic, especially Death in June buys into a very juvenile european white pride belief system similar to Burzum

the article gets a shit load of important stuff wrong but I think there is a valid argument to be made about artists like Cut Hands appropriating exploitative 'Mondo Cane' style imagery from African cultures to create some kind of aesthetic package to accompany his cracker-ass horrible renditions of tribal music. Its not hard to see sort of his minstrel theatre approach to his aesthetic, and even if the music was even a remotely authentic rendition of tribal beats, his imagery is still inappropriate and crass.

fair point - kind of a "have it both ways" approach to framing one's music, especially the imagery. all for shock value but quick to distant himself from it being controversial. while over-hyped i did enjoy cut hands when i first heard it (but hey, just a casual music fan not an expert) but nonetheless i get your criticism.

would you find muslimgauze good alternative in the appropriation of ethnic percussive music ? i love his stuff but I never thought about how much his more sincere ethos seemed to factor in. He was pretty clear cut in his beliefs yet not one to judge those who listened more for the music than the political commentary in his track names and imagery.

artists like Death in June, Current 93 and Boyd Rice have openly toyed with fasicst imagery and belief systems, probably in part as a piss-poor generic way of being 'shocking' but unfortunately its not just a shock tactic, especially Death in June buys into a very juvenile european white pride belief system similar to Burzum

I know Boyd Rice is for sure, I've always been under the superficial impression Douglas P.'s fetishes all that historically convoluted third reich and European paganism imagery more than anything. I know for sure some fans of death in june and neofolk in general def find it appealing as white supremacist music, so much so as i've seen comments about how disappointed they were that death in june played Israel

Again, it's totally bonkers really as David Tibet really isn't a fascist. His lyrics largely relate to the more obscure ends of Christianity, particularly coptic texts, and he wrote a song about Hitler's return as an evil Hindu deity, dedicated to his father for fighting the Nazis in WW2. I don't understand how anybody could read white supremacy into his music. Over the years there have been people of different ethnicities in the C93 lineup, plus several gay and transgender members. There really isn't anything Nazi about Current 93.

Douglas P. I think has a more of a fascination with the imagery and ideas rather than a true belief that fascism is right (particularly as DiJ started out as a far-left punk band), but is far too ambiguous to the level that Death In June could very easily appeal to neo-Nazis.

Tony Wakeford and Boyd Rice are cunts and can fuck off, though.

Again, it's totally bonkers really as David Tibet really isn't a fascist. His lyrics largely relate to the more obscure ends of Christianity, particularly coptic texts, and he wrote a song about Hitler's return as an evil Hindu deity, dedicated to his father for fighting the Nazis in WW2. I don't understand how anybody could read white supremacy into his music. Over the years there have been people of different ethnicities in the C93 lineup, plus several gay and transgender members. There really isn't anything Nazi about Current 93.

damn it - i wrote current 93 when i meant death in june - sorry if that was confusing. i do think think death in june is far more in the murky nazi/fascist/whatever territory than current 93. did not mean to drag that band and david into it. i'm consider them more esotetic oriented than anything, they remind me of Ulver a bit actually

...as in thats a band i could personally compare them too

would you find muslimgauze good alternative in the appropriation of ethnic percussive music ? i love his stuff but I never thought about how much his more sincere ethos seemed to factor in. He was pretty clear cut in his beliefs yet not one to judge those who listened more for the music than the political commentary in his track names and imagery.

tbh I never was a big fan of any music by muslimgauze. I liked what he was all about and his ability to put out releases constantly and switch genres, but there is really hardly any 'tribal' electronic music being produced by white people that I like. Im not saying white people aren't capable of doing it, but I haven't seen many examples of someone capturing the vibe correctly. If you haven't already, check out the Only Now tape on RLR

Always thought my antisemitism and love of ambient music represented a dichotomy in my state of being, but I guess I'm much more one-sided than I thought.

that article is bananas. just another example of a writer crafting an angle to write about so they can appear to have very keen insight to people who buy into that pseudo-socialjustice garbage. this here princess gives it two thumbs down.

ironically fascist imagery is inherently interesting, even apolitically. there's been a lot of reddit threads about how shitty nazism is yet aesthetically it's hard to criticize from a design perspective (dat aesthetic tho!).

Isn't that basically the idea of Genocide Organ? Or are they just outright far-right? I've never really been able to tell.

when will someone do a SJW clickbait article that criticises articles like this one for trivialising serious issues such as mysogyny, racism, homophobia etc ? that will hopefully be the final nail in the coffin, and we can get back to dealing with more direct breaches of this social code, instead of looking for it in places where it mighta sorta actually doesn't exist.

thats a decent point. A lot of this SJW shit gives the impression all liberal people are overly sensitive little fucking babies and it's not actually the case at all. There are definitely a lot of people who are looking to offended by everything, but they are in the minority just like loud right-wing christians who start outrage campaigns over cities taking down christmas trees and shit.

when will someone do a SJW clickbait article that criticises articles like this one for trivialising serious issues such as mysogyny, racism, homophobia etc ? that will hopefully be the final nail in the coffin, and we can get back to dealing with more direct breaches of this social code, instead of looking for it in places where it mighta sorta actually doesn't exist.

thats a decent point. A lot of this SJW shit gives the impression all liberal people are overly sensitive little fucking babies and it's not actually the case at all. There are definitely a lot of people who are looking to offended by everything, but they are in the minority just like loud right-wing christians who start outrage campaigns over cities taking down christmas trees and shit.

south park did some parody of this but not from a misguided right-wing stance but more of a broad arguably liberal criticism of the same people you've both mentioned.

basically at the end of the episode they end up lynching "reality" - while funny it was quite a damning and dark

they're becoming the new ultra-PC "ban everything" crowd that jello biafra had to deal with in the 80's and 90's. somehow this irony is completely lost on them. i'm glad people are acting on their social consciousness but if you don't pick your battles you'll cowards are just gonna lose track of the big picture.

I'm still amazed to this day he was assaulted at 924 Gilman Street

Archived