IGNORED

David Bowie - Blackstar

kaini

Just dropped by the local record shop and they had a copy of the vinyl still going for twenty quid - result.

It's being repressed anyway so I expect the crazy discogs prices will drop down soon enough.

yeah bowie is not going to be limited like warp LPs

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

got my wax, still wont open it

You should - it's a really nicely designed lp with a full size booklet included. You'll have a much better time spinning the LP while trying to read the black-on-black printed lyrics than you will looking at a sealed package on a shelf and worrying about falling discogs prices.

I'll go back to all his music in a few months time, maybe even longer. Its all overkill for me at the moment. Never been able to handle anything above 4.4 on the media/trend/richterscale.

I wish I could have recorded my purchase of this record. The cashier was a bearded guy of about 25 and I overheard him saying "I really love this album. It's very avant-garde and I loved it even before he died" to another customer. I brought my copy to the desk and what did he say? "I really love this album. It's very avant-garde. I was telling my friends how much I loved it even before he died". I just said "yeah man". If you're going to hipster at levels well over 9000, you have to be aware of the hilarious prospect of trying to claim Bowie as being cool before everyone else thought so.

Anyway, I don't find it avant-garde at all. It's a really good summary of his career and there's no better way to end both your life and art. It's a bit heavy because Bowie is someone my dad and I shared and he's quite ill at only 65--not unlike David himself. He even avenged my electronic love when he released Earthling. Even though it kind of sucked, it served as a bridge between generations. I rarely do physical except for vinyl but my dad still loves "discs" so I bought it for him and ripped it for me.

Life gets weird as you get older. Glad guys like Bowie helped the transition with style before heading out.

Earthling didn't "suck".

Guest bitroast

fucking leaches on Discogs.

pretty insane. it's not like the album isn't massively popular and produced by a large scale record company, and isn't already pipelined for an immediate repress.

wtf is wrong with people :catcry:

I've been stalling listening to this whole album, all I've heard from it were Blackstar and Lazarus because of the awesome music videos. But I've been listening to the shit out of his older albums. Teenage Wildlife, man.

Hearing the news at the end of a stressful night at work I was just like "WTF, universe. Fuck you."

I've been stalling listening to this whole album, all I've heard from it were Blackstar and Lazarus because of the awesome music videos. But I've been listening to the shit out of his older albums. Teenage Wildlife, man.

Hearing the news at the end of a stressful night at work I was just like "WTF, universe. Fuck you."

When I was in the looney bin (the first time), there were two records that saw me through:

Daft Punk's Discovery

And Scary Monsters

Listened to those two records like 2-3/day each for a couple weeks

The lyrics that I clung to were "why don't you play the game?"

And "up the hill backwards it'll be alright"

There was something so reassuring about Fripp's chaotic playing on that record...and "Ashes to Ashes" is def my fave DB song of all time

• 2 months later...

The lyrics that I clung to were "why don't you play the game?"

Man, this lyric from "Digital Love" has always been a cosmic reassurance for me that not giving a fuck and enjoying life is really the only sensible thing to do! I thought that it resonated only for me with such a significance but great to once again realise that we as people share almost everything.

Blackstar is a great album btw. My favourite off it is "I Can't Give Everything Away", it's just such an honest statement. On his last song from his last album he chose to say that he's just a human, not a myth that he helped create, it really touches me - while the melody of course is top notch. Good, good

Guest bitroast

its intense by all means but also definitely worth ballsing through it. it's very lovely, in the end.

had the opp to listen to it recently on wax and ... damn. need to grab this album still !!! is v good.

I found the vinyl a couple weeks ago in a malaysian record store. It sounds nice. I think it is the repress, but I am still surprised that I found it over here. What is the most jarring thing for the album on vinyl is the acid-y part of the track Blackstar. It is much more noticeable on analog.

I wish I could have recorded my purchase of this record. The cashier was a bearded guy of about 25 and I overheard him saying "I really love this album. It's very avant-garde and I loved it even before he died" to another customer. I brought my copy to the desk and what did he say? "I really love this album. It's very avant-garde. I was telling my friends how much I loved it even before he died". I just said "yeah man". If you're going to hipster at levels well over 9000, you have to be aware of the hilarious prospect of trying to claim Bowie as being cool before everyone else thought so.

Anyway, I don't find it avant-garde at all. It's a really good summary of his career and there's no better way to end both your life and art. It's a bit heavy because Bowie is someone my dad and I shared and he's quite ill at only 65--not unlike David himself. He even avenged my electronic love when he released Earthling. Even though it kind of sucked, it served as a bridge between generations. I rarely do physical except for vinyl but my dad still loves "discs" so I bought it for him and ripped it for me.

Life gets weird as you get older. Glad guys like Bowie helped the transition with style before heading out.

I think Amazon was the only store that included a digital version with the vinyl. Strange it didn't come with a code.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest WNS000

I got to finally get this album. I heard most of the tracks scattered over the webs and all were good.

i still can't bring myself to listen to this. was such a huge bowie fan as a teenager, his like fam in my music life.

:cry:

Me either actually. I've got the vinyl but haven't put it on yet.

I wasn't a huge fan through the ages but when he passed and I started listening to his discography, I recognized so many songs from epic parts of movies, or songs I had heard on TV shows or my dad would put on when I was young, etc. Realized that even though I wasn't a direct fan buying his CDs through my childhood that his music had crept into my life anyways.

Made me kind of sad I wasn't more active in checking his tunes out. But for some reason I'm scared to put the album on, heh.

Guest bitroast

def listen to it guys.

it was made to be listened to. to pat your heads and say 'there there'.

I know, lol I know it's completely weird and doesn't make a lot of sense.

I guess I'm just waiting for the right time to give it a good listen through.

Archived