IGNORED

AE_LIVE

homecharlie

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like it's easier approaching these sets now we have NTS Sessions. I couldn't get into them at first, especially with headphones.

Brussels and Dour are doing it for me right now.

I know it's not always an option for everyone, but damn I'll never get over how many people listen on headphones instead of speakers. Speakers > headphones, pretty much always imo...particularly for stuff like this since it was literally designed to be pumped out live over big speakers :) Not that one can't appreciate the music on headphones, but imo the experience is far and away better on speakers. 

Dour's good, not sure when I last listened to Brussels. Katowice a couple weeks ago was pretty nice. :)

I've been obsessed with Krakow since mid-late May. In that time, Move of Ten (has aged marvelously) and the AuStechre bootlegs are the only other ae I've really spent time with (as well as the Sydney show).

Krakow is everything, I have a weekly ritual through speakers where I just dance like a demon for the duration. On the verge of being one of my top 10 releases of the 2010s (NTS and Exai in my top 5). It is one of those ae releases that demands some home speakers and a dancefloor.

I have tended to stick with Krakow and Dublin given their difference, need to branch out to the others a bit more. I listened to Utrecht a bit on release, which felt like a standard template. Still haven't caught up with 5-9.

Edited by Roo

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Having lived with these soundboards (1 through 9) for over a year and a half now, I find myself wishing they had shifted up the setlist a bit more from gig to gig, because I've ended up listening to the first 30 or 40 minutes of each set MUCH more often than the last half or third. Even when I do get through to the later parts of the set, I'm typically mentally and aurally fatigued enough from the first half that I don't find I have the faculties to fully appreciate what's going on, which is a problem I don't encounter with AE's work when I can listen track by track (yes, I know WATMM has provided track indexing, and I have split these recordings up into individual tracks myself, but without track names I sadly have a lot of trouble digesting them; they're just a huge unapproachable mess with not enough variation from set to set).

It seems like they've addressed this fatigue issue in the more recent 2016 sets by playing in a more blown out ambient style, but they still seem to be playing everything in a very specific order. This is less than ideal for me, as without more recognizable divergence from set to set, I'm worried I'll run into the same issue of finding the first 30/40 minutes very familiar, and leaving the last 30 minutes or so more neglected, unexplored territory. They may also address this problem by releasing fewer sets, as to be less overwhelming, though that feels kind of antithetical to this literally awesome and totally overwhelming "milk it for all it's worth" strategy they've taken since AE_LIVE.

In any case, now, when I find myself listening to the AE_LIVE recordings, I typically am only listening to the second half of whichever performance I'm diving into, which is a bit jarring and hardly an ideal listening experience. Regardless, it's nice to come back to these and hear new bits after spending a year grokking ELSEQ - for instance, I'm just now hearing a twisted version of the "7th slip" intro synth stabs around the 49 minute mark of the Dour set :music:

Has anyone else here come across this problem with the AE_LIVE recordings? Any elegant solutions I'm missing?

Same here. I also would like to split the recordings, where can i find the provided track indexing?

Edited by klek

I know it's not always an option for everyone, but damn I'll never get over how many people listen on headphones instead of speakers. Speakers > headphones, pretty much always imo...particularly for stuff like this since it was literally designed to be pumped out live over big speakers :) Not that one can't appreciate the music on headphones, but imo the experience is far and away better on speakers. 

Dour's good, not sure when I last listened to Brussels. Katowice a couple weeks ago was pretty nice. :)

i totally disagree, I almost always prefer autechre though headphones for two reasons>

1. for me its pefect walking music.  especially the live sets and longer tracks on elseq/nts.  changes in movement/environment activate different parts of my attention which for me is ideal for dense and long tracks

2. been living in dense city places, and its not like i can hear neighbors or anything but i still never feel like i can truly crank it as loud as it would be at a show, and as i can on headphones

Edited by Marked x 0ne

^^ I do not remember that bit from Krems at all, going to have to relisten to the whole show now :)

That brings up a point in how I approach the AE_LIVE sets...I don't ever dissect/analyze them really, I just listen and let them wash over, which is pretty unique to them. They're all sorta the same but still wildly different at times, and nothing every truly repeats but yet it's mostly the same material. I can't listen to Gantz Graf for the first time ever again, it's great, but I pretty much know it. It's amazing in fact, but it's a known quantity: though I may hear some bits differently each time, nothing's changed. AE_LIVE sets are like something new over and over but they're also still familiar, like hearing the same jazz band ( :emotawesomepm9:) do basically the same set every week. Except it's Autechre. (I'm quite sure that comparison has been brought up ITT and elsewhere, but it's obviously fitting). Anyway my point is it's a really great experience to have them as they are, undissected and sort of 'fresh' even when I go on a binge and listen to multiple sets regularly.

still absolute peak material, this.

Agreed.

this part killed and still kills me, pure bliss

this bassline @0:30 is gonkin. appears in no other set afaik.

sublime, these are two sublime passages.

Dour, among other things, is one of my favorite sets: I have a severe affection for the slowdown at 51:58, then reached by that asthmatic sound, at 52:56, which makes a short (and sensual) solo of a few notes, but capable of transport me to a place definitely more interesting than what I live.

^^ I do not remember that bit from Krems at all, going to have to relisten to the whole show now :)

That brings up a point in how I approach the AE_LIVE sets...I don't ever dissect/analyze them really, I just listen and let them wash over, which is pretty unique to them. They're all sorta the same but still wildly different at times, and nothing every truly repeats but yet it's mostly the same material. I can't listen to Gantz Graf for the first time ever again, it's great, but I pretty much know it. It's amazing in fact, but it's a known quantity: though I may hear some bits differently each time, nothing's changed. AE_LIVE sets are like something new over and over but they're also still familiar, like hearing the same jazz band ( :emotawesomepm9:) do basically the same set every week. Except it's Autechre. (I'm quite sure that comparison has been brought up ITT and elsewhere, but it's obviously fitting). Anyway my point is it's a really great experience to have them as they are, undissected and sort of 'fresh' even when I go on a binge and listen to multiple sets regularly.

still absolute peak material, this.

Agreed.

totally agree with this. I think the fact that it’s one giant lump of music with no track titles makes it this way for me. It’s just a big creative journey. Also love comparing the different bits from show to show. It takes me back to my jamband days.

• 3 weeks later...

How much of a stupid first world success would it be for me to convince my wife to get one of those rugs? It would actually work for the feng shui.

Been on a Utrecht tear this week (great set!). The emergence/increased emphasis of things like c16 deep tread and g1e1 is well-storied, but in that last 11 minutes I could swear you also get snippets of dummy casual pt2 (around the 49-50min mark) and c7b2 (among other familiar elements I can't quite identify).

Edited by Roo

Yep, love the continuity between AE_LIVE, Elseq, and NTS. Definitely hearing the c7b2 on Utrecht at the end; one of my top 5 tracks on Elseq for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

triachusToday at 11:00 PM

are you guys considering releasing the OneSix tour like with AE_Live?

z7zToday at 11:02 PM

yeah when we get round to it

we've been through all the usa 2015 sets now so they're next, then the 2016 ones maybe, idk yet we need to go through them properly, takes a while and had too many other things happening