IGNORED

AE_LIVE

homecharlie

I don't care about your opinion, especially not in a cool thread about AE_LIVE, which is why I hid it. I said this before, take that stuff to redpill.

All messages about this in this thread will be deleted from now.

• 4 weeks later...

Listening to Nagano, the first time I've played any AE_LIVE since elseq came out...this is so superior. Like, elseq is good, great at times, but fucking hell the strength and variety and absolute HUGE FUCKING BALLS on display in the live sets are just unparalleled. Not that I'm saying elseq should be compared to LIVE but given how similar their origins seem to be (likely made from similar patches/software/whatever) it's a point that will be discussed. And fuck, elseq loses in a blowout. I'm glad elseq exists and there's some great tracks in there and it may grow on me over time, but it just is not even fucking close to the AE_LIVE sets. This set and a few others are just so damned strong.

Maybe LIVE is just the type of AE that I enjoy more so than their more meditative noodles and experimentations, but just listening to one live set since elseq really firmed up in my mind how strong they are. All this is of course imho so yeah. Just saying. long live AE.

aside from Kraków, I find it much more difficult. not that it's a bad thing, but I'm enjoying chilling to elseq more than enduring the live stuff. but maybe because I've spent so much time with those sets.

I prefered AE_LIVE... live.

:emotawesomepm9:

It's good shit but it did make more sense to me blasted on speakers worth more than my house, at intestine-rumbling volumes, in a dark club full of other writhing bodies. I think I like elseq better as a, um, recorded artifact.

comparing live sets to released albums is futile, they're fundamentally different beasts composed differently.

comparing live sets to released albums is futile, they're fundamentally different beasts composed differently.

Futile? You give up too easily. And I think you're wrong. Anything can be compared, especially music composed and performed by the same people using the same technology.

futile as in pointless, not as in too hard. I maintain it's pointless trying to compare the two when they're built with different settings and purposes in mind, which ultimately shape the composition of the tracks and the structure of the output. it's irrelevant that the same people are behind them and are using the same tools, it's ultimately apples and oranges.

there's a reason the live sets are branded as such, Ae have always viewed them as distinct entities from album material, each made for that particular time and place, taking into account the room, the audience, etc. as I'm sure you know, this is one of the reasons they've been so clandestine about them up til AE_LIVE, because they're an entirely different experience (the commonality of it all boiling down to vibrations in your ears notwithstanding) to sitting down and listening to an album track-by-track. the live sets were like a superweapon, something even a lot of Ae fans were unaware of til they went to a show of theirs. so comparing something built with that approach to, say, elseq, and saying "elseq totally loses to this", is just dumb imo.

or ok, not dumb, I'm being a prick, but it's totally subjective, as is liking an apple more than an orange.

Comparing something is so much more than simply concluding that a>b. That whole middle paragraph you just wrote is pretty much a comparative analysis.

ok, I'm not going to pick apart the meaning of comparison. balanced comparisons taking into account the nuances and commonality/dissimilarity of each, sure.

but what I'm essentially saying is that saying "live set x is better than album y" is dumb.

I think it's worth comparing the different forms, especially since they're so similar in origin...but as I said originally imho LIVE>elseq...but thats just my opinion. I couldn't make a case that Music A > Music B that would stand up in an objective logical form because music is too much art to reduce to that, IMO.

Holy shit, swans too. Might actually look into doing this if I can find out some more info soon

From now on, every month there will be new announcements about the artists that will be in C2C. I'm following this festival since 2014 and it's pretty relevant as electronic and avant pop music.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else here very distinct talking/vocals on Katowice from 46:50-47:05?

I can't make out what it's saying at all but I swear I'm hearing voices. Maybe I'm going schizo tho.

Anyone else?

No, i think you're just going mad, but thanks for getting me to listen to that last chunk of Katowice again. It's hard to put into words how good that is.