IGNORED

AE_LIVE

homecharlie

Ok, now that I'm part of the gang and have the soundboards I've got a question which hopefully doesn't seem blasphemous. Which to listen to first? Reason being, I hate getting too much music by a single band at a time. No matter how much I love the band, I just don't like the overload so in a situation like this i ration the music. Probably give each set a month or so.... I'm still only about halfway through the AFX soundcloud dump for example.

So, chronological is obvious but perhaps there is a better order. Any thoughts?

obviously they're meant to be listened to simultaneously... parts interlock, holes are filled. there are some striking combinations, it makes sense. A four-part puzzle, like Zaireeka. A single timeline, multi-layered -- The past is the present, and vice versa. As the concept of Zebra

Guest bitroast

obviously they're meant to be listened to simultaneously... parts interlock, holes are filled. there are some striking combinations, it makes sense. A four-part puzzle, like Zaireeka. A single timeline, multi-layered -- The past is the present, and vice versa. As the concept of Zebra

obviously

This is excellent, will have to wait a little while to grab these since I need to save on funds. I'm curious as to what else is going to be on the store. I also wonder if they're going to release a whole bunch of live stuff going back through the years. Would love a soundboard of the show I saw at the SE1 on the Untilted tour.

just listening to krakow over and over is enough for now. saving the others. basically anyway, i listened to the utrecht bootleg a few times and played the first half of dublin as an alarm (on relatively shit speakers), but having not heard them on my monitors its like i havent heard them yet, and brussels is totally unheard. will be nice having those, and krakow is more than enough for a while. real glad i got monitors, its like a different set compared to playing it on my car's jbls, and i thought those were good. i gather that the sets are largely different, which makes this not less than a normal release, but more. this is a quadruple album.

Only listened to Krakow so far but already in Autechre heaven, so good. It sounded amazing as an auidance recording but whole new level now. looking forward to the listening to the rest not even heard any of the recordings from the other sets so excited to hear whats in store! :)

This is excellent, will have to wait a little while to grab these since I need to save on funds. I'm curious as to what else is going to be on the store. I also wonder if they're going to release a whole bunch of live stuff going back through the years. Would love a soundboard of the show I saw at the SE1 on the Untilted tour.

That show was pretty mind-blowing - only time I've seen them that the venue really managed near total-darkness. My mate said it was like 'being in Abu Ghraib, but in a good way'. The monomachine stuff they were doing about ten minutes in made my head feel like it was turning inside out at that volume.

The Glasgow soundboard is pretty close to that set - have you checked that one out?

That show was pretty mind-blowing - only time I've seen them that the venue really managed near total-darkness. My mate said it was like 'being in Abu Ghraib, but in a good way'. The monomachine stuff they were doing about ten minutes in made my head feel like it was turning inside out at that volume.

The Glasgow soundboard is pretty close to that set - have you checked that one out?

Yeah I have but I would like the one I went to if it's possible. Such a good night, the sound in that place was excellent. I remember it being quite oppressive up the front by the speakers, the sheer volume and the amount of kick drums. It really was quite something, head scrambling in the most excellent way.

a note on the Dublin recording, primarily the first half of it.. it's remarkable how much restraint there is on the tonal/color/melodic/neon-gaseous elements, there's a strobe-like tremolo effect, as the sounds are constantly sort of flickering on/off. it creates a lot of space, and you can really turn up the volume without being overwhelmed by constant wall of sound, but it's also sort of a tease, like i kinda wish they'd let the sounds ring out more. anybody have a similar impression?

I think the last two tracks on Ultrecht are probably the craziest pieces of anything I've ever heard.

The second last track (45:52) sounds like they are tuning their radio, dialing in to some sort of alien communication. They finally tune in around 50:53.

Completely alien sounding.

Edited by StephenG

Listening to Dublin again now, listening on my monitors is making a massive difference, were pretty shitty speakers before. Wonderful stuff, love the space in the tracks, easy to concentrate on a couple of the elements and really focus in on them, a lot of their recent output has been a bit too dense at times for me.

I think the last two tracks on Ultrecht are probably the craziest pieces of anything I've ever heard.

The second last track (45:52) sounds like they are tuning their radio, dialing in to some sort of alien communication. They finally tune in around 50:53.

Completely alien sounding.

i could be way off, but there are a lot of similar events going on in the latter thirds of both the Dublin and Utrecht sets.. the extra 13 minutes or so of the Dublin set allows those sounds to unfold more naturally, where the Utrecht finale feels a bit more hasty. this might be after the part you're referring to, though.. still getting familiar with Utrecht. everything comes together so nicely for the last 13 minutes of the Dublin recording. it really 'gels'

just a thought, since we have a very goddam good audience recording of Krakow, someone could easily give the Krakow Soundboard the 'Brian Albers treatment' meaning doing a very good sounding mixture of audience recording & Soundboard. Might not be everybodys cup of tea but i think its worth a try, especially since its probably one that everybody has rinsed the most already making it the least exciting of the 4

just a thought, since we have a very goddam good audience recording of Krakow, someone could easily give the Krakow Soundboard the 'Brian Albers treatment' meaning doing a very good sounding mixture of audience recording & Soundboard. Might not be everybodys cup of tea but i think its worth a try, especially since its probably one that everybody has rinsed the most already making it the least exciting of the 4

No blatant phase issues?