IGNORED

AE_LIVE

homecharlie

Is there a somewhat consensus opinion of the best shows of this set?  I was at Austin (which was mindblowing), and I'd have to say that one has my favorite version  of North Spiral I've heard so far, despite being barely 3 mins. But then again, I might be biased.

Poll?

Edited by Extralife

It almost feels like malicious compliance at this point, after the decade or so of fans constantly asking for live sets.

Like, "OH, YOU WANT SOME LIVE SETS?!?!?!?!"

I see the same malice behind the live 08: "here's your cock-set, have fun now".

The amount of dates of the 014/15 set, however, makes me think of a solution that works as a surrogate for a self-generating process.

How many times have we theorized (with a vision ascribable to dystopia) of Autechre2.0, the definitive processor that will create infinite variations so that the music is new with each listening? Well, today we have 28 versions of AE_LIVE, for a total of over 28 hours. It is clearly impossible to distinguish one date from another, all different yet similar, spread over a duration of more than a whole day. In other words, it will no longer make sense to have a "favorite date", randomly choose from the 28, as if they were a single date, each time generated as if it were the first...

very interesting. shows Eno's influence on their work too. Didn't Eno release an app that does what you are describing: same 'piece' of music, but different variation each time you listen?
IIRC the app Eno designed wasn't different variations with every listen but rather a constant flow of generative music.

I gave Miami and Montreal a shot, both are awesome. The system they designed seem to never reach its limits but I'm very curious about how Ae next era will sound like!

It will sound like Max/ MSP...

Yeah but Max/MSP sounds like what they want it to sound. Exai, AE_LIVE, Elseq and NTS share strong sound design similarities because they were made using the same Max environment.

I'd like to hear what their next software sound production environment will sound like ! IIRC they said in an interview that they started to feel their actual system was getting a bit old.

it was an irony man, paece out! Me too, I am really interesing what will be their new approach? Or maybe there won't be any (All end anyone?!):)

Is there a somewhat consensus opinion of the best shows of this set? I was at Austin (which was mindblowing), and I'd have to say that one has my favorite version of North Spiral I've heard so far, despite being barely 3 mins. But then again, I might be biased.

Poll?

I think these sets / dump are to be for you to grab the one you were at and explore a few others. There isn’t going to be a definitive version of this set aside from Krakow for obvious reasons.

Just enjoy the options!

^ word is "one six" is next after the krakow set shows

i was trying to come up with the best way to arrive at chopped up audio files of different sections for each of these... would take a lot of time to manually go through and do. tens of hours. 

would be cool if there were a site like fx made for the aphex twin soundcloud voting, for watmmers to mark where they think track breaks should be. i kind of doubt it would be used enough to be worth making.

the threads here have a lot of data of people pointing to good segments in various sets. would take time going through that.

just trying to figure out a way to make easier for me to catalog, remember, and revisit different parts. i can never remember what is where.

if people think a site like i described would get used and populated with data it may be doable. could probably open source it too

Portland : 40:00  :music:

.. If the first half hour consists of a hasty resume of everything we know, the second part, full of new ideas and revolutionary arrangements, releases a melancholy as I have rarely heard.

Hmm, I'll have to revisit that one. Sweepstakes and I were at that show, and it was the first of their North American tour. All I remember is it was dark as shit and I was practically in hypnosis with all the crazy sounds they were blasting. Holocene was my favorite venue of the three we went to.

Holy shit this is awesome! Just listened to the Chicago show last night. Goddamn. So glad I get to hear this again, I had no context going into that show so it was a lot for me to take in at the time and came away not knowing what I just had experienced. Man does this sound so good after having heard the other AE_LIVE recordings and their recent work.
Cheers Bob and Jon!

Hmm, I'll have to revisit that one. Sweepstakes and I were at that show, and it was the first of their North American tour. All I remember is it was dark as shit and I was practically in hypnosis with all the crazy sounds they were blasting. Holocene was my favorite venue of the three we went to.

hey i was at that show too and went to both portland shows.  holocene used to sound like shit but they spent some time and $$$ sorting it out. 

What blows my balls off is that this material is like 4-5 years old now right?  I can't even begin to imagine what they are working on currently.

Australia has some hints

NY overall is solid, but has lots of cool moments like this scuttling climax at 50:48 :emotawesomepm9:

Someone someday should do a super mix of each set from around 12 minutes left until end, the land of the off leash discoveries.

NY overall is solid, but has lots of cool moments like this scuttling climax at 50:48 :emotawesomepm9:

Someone someday should do a super mix of each set from around 12 minutes left until end, the land of the off leash discoveries.

yes. And yeah. Charting those variations.

Variation charting was started by a couple of people with the first stuff but they started naming the sections (maybe necessary but...) and everyone just made fun of the names so I think they gave up.

I don't think it particularly requires close attention to detail, I just meant a uniform duration cut-off (say the last 12 minutes) cut together in chronological order.

I personally love the sets as is (in full and in context), and reading someone's detailed, descriptive sectioning take of a particular set can be a fun diversion (to a point). I'd probably never listen to a variations mix, but it seems like a quick, easy (and potentially illuminating) project that might be a useful alternative for the complainer types less likely to listen to several soundboards, or who are struggling to get into it and make a foothold.

Edited by Roo

And the discogs page becomes even more cluttered... 

=P

I haven't really had much of a chance to dive into these yet, so far I've only listened to Portland and Seattle... but so far, they seem to sound a bit darker than the EU shows. I'm excited to hear the progression through to Denver. Though... it took me over a year to really get to know the first 9 sets... I can't imagine how long it'll take me to really get to know these. 

Autechre overload!

=D

.. If the first half hour consists of a hasty resume of everything we know, the second part, full of new ideas and revolutionary arrangements, releases a melancholy as I have rarely heard.

Portland also hides this drugged version of Latentcal that deserves a place of honor 51:36