IGNORED

AE_LIVE

homecharlie

2 hours ago, Rotwang said:

Damn the Zagreb set is great. Not listened to any of the others yet, going to do my usual thing of familiarising myself with each set before moving onto the next one so that the differences are more surprising.

I listened to Zagreb this afternoon and it's my favorite of the batch for now. Such a great pacing, and the hard-hitting parts hit even harder !! I still have to listen to Helsinki though.

lol, in the Helsinki set, around 35:30 when that crazy breakbeat-y bit really gets going, there's this repeated bongo-type sound that sounds an awful lot like the one used in the Apache break (the one on the 2nd beat of each bar). the level of detail in these sets is absolutely nuts! can't wait to dive in further and find more of those funny bits

• Thanks 1

That emotional melody that forms out of the chaos at 55:30 min on Dublin. This is the kind of stuff that keeps me coming back for more. If this is what longform seated AE shows give us, can we just do that from now on? It's not like you can't dance in a seat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Username said:

That emotional melody that forms out of the chaos at 55:30 min on Dublin. This is the kind of stuff that keeps me coming back for more. If this is what longform seated AE shows give us, can we just do that from now on? It's not like you can't dance in a seat.

Great little section there: Pretty sure it’s only in the Dublin set (?) 

10 hours ago, Username said:

Soooo beautiful and warm! ❤️???

seems like hour-long compositions, as opposed to solutions to the what to play live question. like it seems like they wanted to do some long-form pieces and it just happened to be a good idea to use for live shows.

great composition. some kind of autechrean pinnacle. sounds great on monitors.

Edited by very honest
  • Like 2

I have been mostly listening to Melbourne so far, mainly out on walks at dusk. A couple of standouts for me:

Around 21:40 this harsh chord comes in, then proceeds to splinter off for like the next minute or so.

The Column Thirteen bit is Lush.

Also notably there is very little in the set that sounds anything close to what anyone would think of as a traditional snare sound. Even in the higher energy parts, fairly drums free at least relative to other sets I listened to yet.

Get jules off this subforum..so cringy, naff and embarrassing, like a 50 year old college jock that missed the last 33 semesters. ''hey thanks man''' 'awesome dude... thanks'..."Oh man, I agree that was a great track" ?Did Mike Judge base the character Butthead on this lame ass? Sure as hell looks like him. Absolute goofball. So sick of his grovelling and trying to inspire chat with his limited ability. So damn desperate to stay young. 

On 4/16/2020 at 2:00 PM, very honest said:

seems like hour-long compositions, as opposed to solutions to the what to play live question. like it seems like they wanted to do some long-form pieces and it just happened to be a good idea to use for live shows.

great composition. some kind of autechrean pinnacle. sounds great on monitors.

seems quite the opposite to me, that they're trying to fill up an hour or so with interesting and changing bits and pieces that allow for live manipulation and such with many pieces they could jump to given the room and their mood and so forth.... and many of the live bits actually of course morphed into full length 'tracks' of their own. especially given they obviously don't have qualms releasing actual hour(ish) long compositions. 

agree that the AE_LIVE stuff is a definite pinnacle tho ? maybe the best thing they've ever done. 

14 hours ago, auxien said:

seems quite the opposite to me, that they're trying to fill up an hour or so with interesting and changing bits and pieces that allow for live manipulation and such with many pieces they could jump to given the room and their mood and so forth.... and many of the live bits actually of course morphed into full length 'tracks' of their own. especially given they obviously don't have qualms releasing actual hour(ish) long compositions. 

agree that the AE_LIVE stuff is a definite pinnacle tho ? maybe the best thing they've ever done. 

i'm still getting to know the material but i found the transitions to be natural, not wandering, and the sections seemed to be part of a whole. the original AE_LIVE composition, though it was also well composed as a whole, was more all over the place and i got less of a sense that part A was attached to a distant part B. AE_LIVE 16-18 is like an alien mafia chem lab noir.

maybe it's that AE_LIVE was more aggressive or something? maybe s&b were going for more of a chill thing that flows more smoothly, here.

Edited by very honest

finally giving these a more attentive listening in the studio. these are all so good. there's much depth in these. really amazing. it's amazing how there's a beat but there's not really beat in some of this stuff.  all these other things are doing the rhythmic work real sneaky like. 

• Like 1

Gave a listen to 'em all. The Zagreb and Dublin ones were my favourites but I dunno but the majority onesix stuff was a bit too "musique concrete" for me. They're more formless than the latter portion of their live stuff. It sounded good in the background while doing things but it didn't grab me the way the other live shows did.

Yes, it's quite abstract and subtle for live stuff, but I like it.

Me listening to this

Spoiler

Moebius_StrengthOfMan_100.jpg

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Entorwellian said:

Gave a listen to 'em all. The Zagreb and Dublin ones were my favourites but I dunno but the majority onesix stuff was a bit too "musique concrete" for me. They're more formless than the latter portion of their live stuff. It sounded good in the background while doing things but it didn't grab me the way the other live shows did.

Onesix didnt grab you because you used it as background music....

Do a deep listen of 'Helsinki'

Oslo is one the best live albums I've heard in the last 25 years, on any genre, period. Amazing, really amazing, sutile, powerful.

Also lovely the Drane2 ghost at the end of the set.

Honest thanks to s&r, this album has convinced and motivated me to start my own journey making music on my late 30s. Fuck.

• Like 3

On 4/24/2020 at 4:51 AM, Entorwellian said:

I will do this.

Yeah man deep listening is Def rewarded here, there's so much going on across the stereo field. Go out for an evening walk with a decent pair of headphones.

I'm cursing my brother in law for sharing some utterly fucking dunderheaded shit on FB that I caught just before I went out to walk the dog yesterday. All the way distracted myself by thinking about all the pointless comments I could make but won't, instead of giving Dublin and the crazy twisted old chestnut trees on the walk the undivided attention they deserve.

Edited by EXTRASUPER81