IGNORED

AE_LIVE

homecharlie

22 hours ago, X4creek said:

hey im friends with the person that made this (and the elseq 6-10 thing) and i wanted to say that their pronouns are she/her and they/them!

listening to the elseq 6-10 and loving it. some really 'deluxe' moments in there and i'm only 20 minutes in. nice work. kudos/high five etc to your friend. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Confession: I wound up revisiting the initial live sets so infrequently that I decided to sleep on the onesix crop. 

That gnawed on me over time so I wanted to splash for 1 in full 24 bit glory. You lads went on and on about Dublin and I just want to thank you because it does indeed slap. The final 40 minutes are some satisfying cyborg climaxes after all that edging.

• Like 3

So is it most people's opinion that the live stuff is better than elseq and nts? 

As far as new stuff goes, new being exai and newer, I'd like to know what I should be checking out because I've kinda been ignoring ae for a bit and tonight I decided I want to get back into the stuff.

Edited by yekker

59 minutes ago, yekker said:

So is it most people's opinion that the live stuff is better than elseq and nts? 

As far as new stuff goes, new being exai and newer, I'd like to know what I should be checking out because I've kinda been ignoring ae for a bit and tonight I decided I want to get back into the stuff.

If you haven't checked Exai properly, do so. In my opinion it's their best album yet. It has everything AE is known for and feels very composed. Also the length of the album is perfect for what it is in my opinion. There's no weak moment. Well, I mean Exai + L-event actually. The original idea was to release 5 EPs but 4 of those EPs ended up as an album (Exai) while the 5th EP (L-event) is standalone. L-event was actually released only in an inner sleeve (sort of a fancy one) and fits into the Exai box.

NTS Sessions have my second place among the new era of AE. It's long as fuck but filled with great ideas and stunning sound design. I enjoy AE_LIVE very much but can't say I listen to it that often.

• Like 2

for me:

onesix=ae_live>elseq≈sign>nts(2 in particular)>xi>plus

or something like that, fluctuates with mood.

so i guess

6 hours ago, yekker said:

in my case yeah, but

1 hour ago, very honest said:

i like it all and consider it all leagues beyond mortal music

^

6 hours ago, jaderpansen said:

for me:

onesix=ae_live>elseq≈sign>nts(2 in particular)>xi>plus

or something like that, fluctuates with mood.

so i guess

in my case yeah, but

^

What is onesix?

onesix is the catchall term for the more ambient/beatless-leaning and most recent live set (from '16-'18, i think?). selected sets available for download at https://autechre.warp.net along with AE_LIVE (beat-heavy, lots of sets available, live set from '14-'15 i think)

SIGN and PLUS are both really good, and so is NTS but it's so sprawling and with lots of dense & long tracks that it might be pretty daunting for the non-hardcore listeners.

Exai is pretty cool, might be a good place to start if you've been out of the loop since around then, but still has a lot of different feels from track to track, a few absolute standout tracks.

avoid elseq imo, i think it's mostly mediocre/some just weak (but i'm in the minority here i think).

but really, maybe just listen to some previews and follow your nose. :music:

Exai is teh god. 

elseq has soooo many amazing gems. i made a playlist after a while of all my favs and it's pretty deep and i love listening to it. a great listen.  there's stuff on elseq that has no equal imo. 

so, elseq is also teh god. 

nts is like being plundered by morphed versions of evolved ae releases. pristine digitalness. 

idk.. i'm biased by my own opinions. wait.. what?

Edited by ignatius

On 8/25/2021 at 3:34 PM, auxien said:

avoid elseq imo, i think it's mostly mediocre/some just weak (but i'm in the minority here i think).

I'm also not a huge fan, I think it has a few absolute gems, but the rest is sort of hit or miss for me. I've always had trouble with the way it's mixed, everything is so dense and pushed to the front, it can feel kind of claustrophobic. I like the more subtle deep-mixing style of SIGN/PLUS.

I love NTS though, that's probably my fav of the decade. The live material is all great too, but I strongly prefer the onesix sets to the 2014/15 ones, probably for similar reasons - more subtle and nuanced.

• Like 1

I will also say that of the post-Exai material, elseq is my least favorite 

however some tracks on elseq are absolutely amazing, and are superior to much of NTS. But the “whole” document just doesn’t hold up well enough. It would have made a great ~2hr album with certain tracks cut out 

Edited by fizzkinz

Yeah Elseq in its current form is kind of all over the place and one of their weaker releases (for me anyway).

Cutting and editing it into a more standard format (like an LP and accompanying EP) puts it right up there with their best though.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2021 at 1:36 AM, yekker said:

I dunno if I'd say the live stuff is better (I'd say it's all good) but it's a good reference point for a lot of the stuff on Elseq and NTS. I would just pick one or two of the live sets (from each era - 14/15 and 16/18), maybe with relatively far-apart dates if you're interested in seeing how the sets developed over time.  As for elseq/NTS, I would generally pick a track or two at a time since they are so immense. That's pretty much how I've done it because even as a diehard fan these releases have taken years to really sink in - this has been the Summer Of Elseq for me lol, I guess it took that long, because I had a lot of the same criticisms people have mentioned here, but in the end it has a ton of character and depth and is just as meticulously crafted as anything that came before it. NTS will take awhile because the tracks are immense and there's a lot of what some might consider filler, things stretch out even more than they did on elseq and feel looser/jammier and more spacious.  SIGN and PLUS are pretty accessible but again have that "deep listening" effect where things are not quite as they seem, particularly SIGN.   But, tldr tbh imo if you haven't even heard Exai yet then start with that lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, toaoaoad said:

I dunno if I'd say the live stuff is better (I'd say it's all good) but it's a good reference point for a lot of the stuff on Elseq and NTS. I would just pick one or two of the live sets (from each era - 14/15 and 16/18), maybe with relatively far-apart dates if you're interested in seeing how the sets developed over time.  As for elseq/NTS, I would generally pick a track or two at a time since they are so immense. That's pretty much how I've done it because even as a diehard fan these releases have taken years to really sink in - this has been the Summer Of Elseq for me lol, I guess it took that long, because I had a lot of the same criticisms people have mentioned here, but in the end it has a ton of character and depth and is just as meticulously crafted as anything that came before it. NTS will take awhile because the tracks are immense and there's a lot of what some might consider filler, things stretch out even more than they did on elseq and feel looser/jammier and more spacious.  SIGN and PLUS are pretty accessible but again have that "deep listening" effect where things are not quite as they seem, particularly SIGN.   But, tldr tbh imo if you haven't even heard Exai yet then start with that lol

Thanks Toadddd ?

• Like 1

there's a run of a few tracks at a time in elseq that are wicked then something i find less interesting then another run of amazing stuff.. . and overall.. like pretty much any ae release the more time you spend w/it the more you get out of it. ymmv

if you're going to jump in the live stuff i'd recommend the Krakow and orlando sets from 2015 and the dublin and helsinki sets from the one six 2016/18 

there's some good variations in a lot of them though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Already six years since the North America tour. Still mesmerized by the last three minutes of the Seattle set. Of course being there IRL was an experience like no other - one that I may never see/hear again.

However, Ae still manage to surprise us in one way or another, such is their tradition.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

When I saw Ae on this tour I was very excited and it remains the only time (so far, fingers crossed for more in the future) I've seen the lads live. Now while I was certainly thrilled to see my favourite musicians performing an incredible live set the night of was lackluster. This was in no part due to the brothers 'chre however, and was in fact that of the people who manage and run the Phoenix Entertainment Centre. Neither was the venue dark enough nor the music clear or loud enough. I am over the moon that they released soundboards for this tour, because it meant that in most important respects, I was better able to enjoy the music from that night better after the fact.

And holy shit is this ever a great set.  It might feel trite at this point to say so for the millionth time, but I can't help it: it's incredible not to mention rare that a musical act delivers so much of its best material a quarter century to thirty years into its career.

• Like 6