Sign in to follow this  
homecharlie

AE_LIVE

I dont claim to understand their process but that's kind of what it is right? it's like an AI system that generates the music. whatever it is, Autechre are at least 500 years ahead of the rest of us lol. they're the GOAT

Nice post, made me pop on the Atlanta set. I feel like AI might be the wrong way to describe their system, although, like you, I have a very limited understanding of it. They talk about it at the end of their Resident Advisor interview a few years back (https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/2756), and the whole interview is really good too. All of the decisions that are made in max regarding sound-design, sequencing, and arrangement seem to be the product of human decisions that are programmed into the software by Autechre, at least that was my take-away. They talk about markov chains and AI in the interview, but it seems like knowledge of some AI has informed their decisions rather than the system utilizing artificial intelligence proper. More like art official intelligence, amiright?

I think it's more pendulums on pendulums (or LFOs triggeting LFOs triggering everything else):

I dont claim to understand their process but that's kind of what it is right? it's like an AI system that generates the music. whatever it is, Autechre are at least 500 years ahead of the rest of us lol. they're the GOAT

Nice post, made me pop on the Atlanta set. I feel like AI might be the wrong way to describe their system, although, like you, I have a very limited understanding of it. They talk about it at the end of their Resident Advisor interview a few years back (https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/2756), and the whole interview is really good too. All of the decisions that are made in max regarding sound-design, sequencing, and arrangement seem to be the product of human decisions that are programmed into the software by Autechre, at least that was my take-away. They talk about markov chains and AI in the interview, but it seems like knowledge of some AI has informed their decisions rather than the system utilizing artificial intelligence proper. More like art official intelligence, amiright?

I remember this interview, such a good one! I'll have to reread it. you're probably right that AI isn't the most accurate way to describe it. Like the actual logic of the system is probably more dictated by those decisions that they've programmed into it. it's definitely still generative and unpredictable, but it's not like the machine is entirely responsible for coming up with the ideas, it's really based off of those human decisions.

I love the quote in that interview (at least I think it's from that interview) where they say that even though it's a computer system it's actually really human because of those decisions embedded into it. I think that's so true, the music has an extremely fluid and dynamic quality that feels really human - it's like the electronic equivalent of a virtuoso musician who's memorized every inch of his instrument and has an insanely precise degree of control over every aspect of the sound  

Anyway if i'm wrong about any of this then anyone feel free to correct me, like I said I def don't claim to understand this stuff

Guys I can't remember: I have proper track splits and names (like tlapa etc.) there in the Europe music. Was that community driven?

yeh that was one of ae sub forum’s cringier episodes.
It did result in this great follow-up post however:

Here's my infamous unofficial tracklist + meaning of each track hope you like it

1. gabagool - rain that looks like that mismatched sock that's been there in the drawer for months whose pair you can't find

2. rigatone - rain that looks like dad didn't leave when you were 5

3. mammamia - rain that looks like checking the fridge again after having checked it 10 minutes ago and confirmed there's nothing to eat

4. tonisoprano - rain that looks like my gf didn't leave because i did it right that time please rebecca give me another chance

5. gabagool2 - rain that looks like it's falling sideways

6. prego - rain falling on a 50 year old's combover

7. porcamiseria - rain that looks like I'm running out of ideas for these

8. spaeghetti - rain!!

9. pizzaplace - rain that looks like the Simpsons episode with Lady Gaga

10. macaeroni - rain that looks like applying for 30 jobs and getting zero replies

11. bolognessss - rain that looks like a midlife crisis

12. pastae - rain that looks like mama's spaghetti recipe

13. baesta - rain that feels like postmodern bonner

14. manjaere - rain that makes rain that makes you say yes

Here's the AE_EURO track names I came up that causes  the   o   u   t   r   a   g   e   :w00t:

sheet 2

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1X68nxBTmjILs_8i-nlxPvXpvHSyLaEWSE1Ic81W1aRE/edit?usp=sharing

fuck off

Well that escalated quickly.

mutherfucker SF @ 43:00 just goes completely off the rails in the best way.

those live segment fan titles gave the 'chre-dem cancer.

guess that prevents another abomination like nts sessions  :emotawesomepm9:

ps more AE_LIVE = good. thx chre'

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

th'art a noob and a twat, sirrah.

really surprised no one has made a youtube of "all 28 of the autechre live sets simultaneously"

also, why not release both portland dates.  "19 more live sets is just right amount.. 20 more live sets would be one too many."

maybe they just hit spacebar on the first Portland set for the 2nd one :^)

Edited by hello spiral

maybe they just hit spacebar on the first Portland set for the 2nd one :^)

nah. i went to both. they were diffffreent. 

guess that prevents another abomination like nts sessions  :emotawesomepm9:

:cerious:

really surprised no one has made a youtube of "all 28 of the autechre live sets simultaneously"

.....brb

You have more interesting Ae audiences.. I think in Helsinki it was mostly just bearded nerds standing still.

except for that strange interactive part with the audience call & response.

(ORGAN-"whoo!"—ORGAN-"whoo!")

... screw interesting people.

lol, that moment is definitely autechre at their most phish

also didnt realize they played 2 portland shows.  back to back nights? at the same venue, or different venues?

Edited by Marked x 0ne

lol, that moment is definitely autechre at their most phish

also didnt realize they played 2 portland shows.  back to back nights? at the same venue, or different venues?

IIRC I think they made a last-minute decision to do an additional Portland gig the night before the original was scheduled because tickets sold out. So I think it was intended to accommodate overflow. Both at Holocene I believe.

I’m friggin broke, so I have to do this new batch piecemeal, starting with LA because I was there with my wife. It’s glorious, can almost see that one androgynous alien cyber goth getting cozy with the PA again.

Should I grab Chicago next? Seems like a favorito

first portland gig sold out fast so they added another date. back to back in same venue. it's 3 blocks from my work :)  was nice to savor the moment(s) over 2 days. 

Dicing up these sets is a lot of fun, done Dour, Chicago, New York and Denver so far, NY in particular has some amazing standalone tracks. Plan to listen and dissect the tracks at home and blast the sets in my car, thanks sam and bob

post-13505-0-86536600-1549573568_thumb.jpg

12. pastae - rain that looks like mama's spaghetti recipe

just put on the Philadelphia set, it's the city closest to where I grew up, unfortunately I was not living there during their tour. The venue that they played, Union Transfer, is a warehouse that many businesses leased before it became a music venue, and the last business before that was an Italian restaurant called Spaghetti Warehouse lol. 

Seattle is one of those sets which has a bit of latentcall and violvoic mixed together at once (around the 54min mark).