IGNORED

AE_LIVE

homecharlie

@Zantman

Beautiful example!

1 minute ago, misuta Go said:

can anyone explain the lack of bass in the recordings? i mean, i was there, the bass was huuuuge, it shuttered your chest.

and yet it's almost absent from the recordings...

Different kind of mixing/mastering for domestic use? Makes sense to me

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, misuta Go said:

can anyone explain the lack of bass in the recordings? i mean, i was there, the bass was huuuuge, it shuttered your chest.

yeah. buy a bigger set. and pump up the volume.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, misuta Go said:

the mix for the live show is per venue so what came out of their computers may have had less bass but the venue produced bass via the sounds system. i'm guessing massive subs have something to do w/it. 

anyway.. so the recording may be more "flat" sounding but if played back in the venue it'd sound big bass etc. 

i listened to some on my studio set up which has a subwoofer and there's bass there. it's just pretty low. so average home speakers aren't going to reproduce it from the recordings since they probably roll off at 55 or 60hz or something unsatisfying. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ignatius said:

the mix for the live show is per venue so what came out of their computers may have had less bass but the venue produced bass via the sounds system. i'm guessing massive subs have something to do w/it. 

anyway.. so the recording may be more "flat" sounding but if played back in the venue it'd sound big bass etc. 

i listened to some on my studio set up which has a subwoofer and there's bass there. it's just pretty low. so average home speakers aren't going to reproduce it from the recordings since they probably roll off at 55 or 60hz or something unsatisfying. 

makes sense. thank you...

Aye, whatever system you have is going to be nothing like the sound system at a live venue.  One of these days I want to hear Confield on a club PA system, as that's one Ae release where the low end is conspicuously absent... and probably the biggest gear shift stylistically.  That album really broke down all walls.  I've wondered for a while if they just mixed it on a system with huge subs, and if so whether they regretted that decision.  It does lessen the impact greatly on a less souped up system.

the impression I have is that, currently, the situation is this: the albums (elseq - nts) are a collection of sketches, certainly edited and enjoyable, but the work done, the aim, is what we listen live.

Dublin was an overwhelming experience yesterday. I am almost afraid now to listen to it soberly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The chord progression of the cut-up-organ-chords track (you know the one) remind me of Leterel a lot !!! (Leterel reconstructed by bots on a distant planet, but Leterel still)

Melb 54-56 has a lovely bit of buried lush.

always laugh at the innocent enchanted forest a few minutes before the Dracula organ stomp. Lambs to the slaughter, so foreboding.

Yeah, really nice to hear clarity in the low-end for these. Very nuanced, subtle, ethereal sets. Enjoying the fuck out of these. Not sure on a favorite yet: Zagreb early contender.

Also, going into full obnoxious audiophile mode today:

doyourselfaflavor.png.861fc2889bd036714c8ecc1aef3ccd04.png

• Like 3

so far im preferring 2018 sets for one reason> the thumpy drum track (a k a ~34m in zagreb, but its in all the 2016 sets, comes in on top of the descending chord melody) is not my favorite.. its almost has a bro-step vibe.  they toned it down significantly in the 2018 sets, for the better.

Edited by markedone
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, markedone said:

so far im preferring 2018 sets for one reason> the thumpy drum track (a k a ~34m in zagreb, but its in all the 2016 sets, comes in on top of the descending chord melody) is not my favorite.. its almost has a bro-step vibe.  they toned it down significantly in the 2018 sets, for the better.

yea that part is absolutely maniacal in the Dublin set. Sinister panic attack vibes before it dissolves itself. Blissful. 

Yeah I'm currently listening to Dublin, it feels way more cohesive to me than Melbourne so far...

Column Thirteen was one of my favorite tracks from the NTS Sessions and I'm so happy with those live takes :music:

4 minutes ago, Zantman said:

I noticed a small (not important at all, but still it should be corrected) error.

'AE_LIVE_MELBOURNE_220618' should actually be 'AE_LIVE_MELBOURNE_210618' - Source: https://www.residentadvisor.net/dj/autechre/dates

22 is for AE_LIVE_TASMANIA_220618

Unless it is the Tasmania set 

I have both the Melb & Hob bootlegs and it sounds like Melb. Exact same runtime. But from memory the Hobart recorder had issues getting the whole set.

Sydney was definitely the 20th from experience. I just assumed they took a day getting down there. Good pickup!

Hobart would seem more on brand for them as it is higher latitude, more obscure and was the edgey Dark Mofo, but after the legacy of the Melb 2010 set, that cool Melb poster of Sean, and the vibrant electronic scene there I'm glad it was Melb.

• Like 1

A lot of the regular WATMMers who attended the Melb show have been quiet here during this corona period, otherwise you'd like to think they would've instantly noticed such a detail mishap.

Damn the Zagreb set is great. Not listened to any of the others yet, going to do my usual thing of familiarising myself with each set before moving onto the next one so that the differences are more surprising.

• Like 2