IGNORED

Cygnus San Francisco Soundboard also AMAA

cygnus

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for this Cygnus! I'd never heard your tunes before Orlando and was properly impressed! Will be checking this out for sure... with this and the ae soundboards it's like the whole experience is preserved.

Cheeky story posted by Cygnus earlier on reddit:

"yeah in new hampshire i was listening to world class wrecking cru on my phone , that track "world class" , sean said 'yo i have that drum kit', gave it to me on a flash drive . before the next gig (i think it was philadelphia?) i chopped up some samples from gantzgraf and just went all dmx on it . i loved it instantly and had to play it even tho i was just messing around. ppl were feeling that shit too"

"yeah in new hampshire i was listening to world class wrecking cru on my phone , that track "world class" , sean said 'yo i have that drum kit', gave it to me on a flash drive . before the next gig (i think it was philadelphia?) i chopped up some samples from gantzgraf and just went all dmx on it . i loved it instantly and had to play it even tho i was just messing around. ppl were feeling that shit too"

Holy F. Is that in the soundboard which is on bandcamp? It feels liek my pants suddenly shrank two sizes...

thanks for the soundboard rip! you absolutely killed it in Austin

what kind of non-IDM music do you enjoy? do you like jungle/dnb? do you like Source Direct at all?

i like sade,.... sun ra... ummm. man idk i listen to pretty much everything except for country music because it traumatizes me

im into vaporwave altho im not entire sure what it is

theres the vaporwave which is like macintosh plus which is completely lush but then theres the kinda more abstract stuff which is also vaporwave? i like the stuff thats like slowed down mall music and etc, im from the south and grew up hearing a lot of dirty souf shit trap and chopped/screwed shit and i love that philosophy applied to whats essentially our american cultural residue

i love vaporwave but is kind of a mess - this is a nice breakdown of subgenres. there's some very vaporwave-y producers who don't call themselves vaporwave like 1991, hype williams, and ssaliva that I really, really dig. same with labels like orange milk and beer on the rug. lot of crossover into the hypnagogic pop and underground cassette scenes with that stuff - especially chopped and screwed esque vibes. some watmmers are making awesome stuff too, most are posting it in the vaporwave thread.

it's an odd scene though - the originators don't even make vaporwave anymore: vekroid, internet club put out different stuff and were already leaving the scene around 2013. 骨架的 disappeared mostly. 0PN and James Ferraro were proto-vaporwave but never part of the scene formally. the most successful has been saint pepsi though he ended that alias and now makes very slick but tame and dull (imo) synthpop.

but great producers are still at it - deathdynamicdshroud.wmv, NMESH, luxury elite, HKE, and t e l e p a t h テレパシー能力者 are still kicking ass and making very, very good and consistent vaporwave.

lately dream catalogue, adhesive sounds and bedlam tapes have been putting out some very good stuff but it's a catch-22 because a lot of it, especially dream catalogue, just sounds like ambient techno, 90s IDM, d'n'b, trap, etc. but with vaporwave art and titles. the scene is a very insular community so ironically there are kids reinventing the wheel...but it's kind of endearing. that said there's so much meme shit and rehashing and just clueless fans and producers involved. only subgenre i don't like as much is future funk - a few good albums but mostly clueless lazy cut-ups of pop songs to sound like daft punk french house shit. but its popular. it's actually a bit draining to follow for me, kind of burn out on it occasionally and listen to older stuff.

anyway this is a nice guide to newer stuff and this is a good overview of classics - if thats overwhelming just google 'vaporwave guide" for more succinct versions

Holy F. Is that in the soundboard which is on bandcamp? It feels liek my pants suddenly shrank two sizes...

It's in there... start listening around the 45 min mark forward. There's quite a bit of autechre love in this set... fantastic!

How would you compare your taste in pizza with the autechres? Do you put a lilmayo on your slices?

we ate a lot of pizza . mostly cuz like after a gig everythings closed and the venue just orders it

mayonnaise on pizza? WHY

The crowd gave thansk and applause

Im completely fucking wasted rn

Do u guys like Diana Ross?

depends on how much thansk she gives. and is she deep enough, is what i'm wondering

also, are you ever going to release the "cygnus remixes slick quincy jones" tunes?

quincy jones is rly old now isnt he ? hes like 90 years old right?

also also, will you do a european tour and will ae cover the pre-show?

we have much more bass and thansk in europe!

can't wait to play in eu man. everyones told me it would go down really well. alotta people say germany would be perfect . as soon as i'm invited i'm saying yes and packing my stuff up

Yeah EU tour would be epic

i'd be doing it right now honestly if the opportunity were available so its just a matter of time until

Omg, the people in that xltronic thread. Brings back memories! Cygnus, when are you gonna let me do some album art for you?

Today is historic. I want to cry

send me a link to some of ur stuff man. it's been a longtime since ive seen any of your art. i remember you were doing a lot of 3D stuff / abstract & architectural design things? hook a brother up . pls dont cry

Thanks for this Cygnus! I'd never heard your tunes before Orlando and was properly impressed! Will be checking this out for sure... with this and the ae soundboards it's like the whole experience is preserved.

you're right and i feel exactly the same way dude

Lovin the set Cynus

- whatcha make of the AFX dump?

- what about squarepusher? Any luv?

thx phudo! :)

i mean its a tremendous amount of music and its all on soundcloud so it was hard for me to go thru all of it but there were some stuff in there that really took me back. soundcloud is a weird website tho. i would have paid for it

always loved squarepusher dude . he's absolutely ridiculously good & nobody can copy him (altho many try)

yuppp thats in there!

thanks for the soundboard rip! you absolutely killed it in Austin

what kind of non-IDM music do you enjoy? do you like jungle/dnb? do you like Source Direct at all?

i like sade,.... sun ra... ummm. man idk i listen to pretty much everything except for country music because it traumatizes me

im into vaporwave altho im not entire sure what it is

theres the vaporwave which is like macintosh plus which is completely lush but then theres the kinda more abstract stuff which is also vaporwave? i like the stuff thats like slowed down mall music and etc, im from the south and grew up hearing a lot of dirty souf shit trap and chopped/screwed shit and i love that philosophy applied to whats essentially our american cultural residue

i love vaporwave but is kind of a mess - this is a nice breakdown of subgenres. there's some very vaporwave-y producers who don't call themselves vaporwave like 1991, hype williams, and ssaliva that I really, really dig. same with labels like orange milk and beer on the rug. lot of crossover into the hypnagogic pop and underground cassette scenes with that stuff - especially chopped and screwed esque vibes. some watmmers are making awesome stuff too, most are posting it in the vaporwave thread.

it's an odd scene though - the originators don't even make vaporwave anymore: vekroid, internet club put out different stuff and were already leaving the scene around 2013. 骨架的 disappeared mostly. 0PN and James Ferraro were proto-vaporwave but never part of the scene formally. the most successful has been saint pepsi though he ended that alias and now makes very slick but tame and dull (imo) synthpop.

but great producers are still at it - deathdynamicdshroud.wmv, NMESH, luxury elite, HKE, and t e l e p a t h テレパシー能力者 are still kicking ass and making very, very good and consistent vaporwave.

lately dream catalogue, adhesive sounds and bedlam tapes have been putting out some very good stuff but it's a catch-22 because a lot of it, especially dream catalogue, just sounds like ambient techno, 90s IDM, d'n'b, trap, etc. but with vaporwave art and titles. the scene is a very insular community so ironically there are kids reinventing the wheel...but it's kind of endearing. that said there's so much meme shit and rehashing and just clueless fans and producers involved. only subgenre i don't like as much is future funk - a few good albums but mostly clueless lazy cut-ups of pop songs to sound like daft punk french house shit. but its popular. it's actually a bit draining to follow for me, kind of burn out on it occasionally and listen to older stuff.

anyway this is a nice guide to newer stuff and this is a good overview of classics - if thats overwhelming just google 'vaporwave guide" for more succinct versions

saved all those links man, thank you@ !

yeah it looks like i have a lot to dig thru, tbh my exposure to the genre is probably heavily filtered. the visual component is pretty much my favorite part of it. there's this kind of dreamy feeling to it and its mad futuristic but it's also very nostalgic

i feel like that when i listen to drexciya - its like nostalgia for the past but it's also so future . kraftwerk too of course

re:underground cassette scenes, yeah i totally feel that vibe

i have a tumblr with a lot of vaporwavey/webby images i wonder what u guys think of it?

http://bladerunna.tumblr.com

oh and also re:vaporwave

do you guys think that 4th or 5th track in sean & robs set is vaporwave?

(the one that starts at around 19mins in the krakow set)

see to me its totally vaporwave, everytime they played it i was seeing pinks,purples,triangles - tall ceilings,synthetics, feeling blown by the wind and the air & jet streams, i mean sonically it sounds so cold too and it stands out among all the other tracks, v unique. i think its just how my brain associates things that i call it vaporwave ,in terms of colors & shapes & the physical forces within the trak

like i know it prob doesnt fit into the context or subset of vaporwave but thats how my brain works

idk

see to me its totally vaporwave, everytime they played it i was seeing pinks,purples,triangles - tall ceilings,synthetics, feeling blown by the wind and the air & jet streams, i mean sonically it sounds so cold too and it stands out among all the other tracks, v unique. i think its just how my brain associates things that i call it vaporwave ,in terms of colors & shapes & the physical forces within the trak

like i know it prob doesnt fit into the context or subset of vaporwave but thats how my brain works

idk

I was floored by that track when I heard it live. I intentionally didn't listen to that many recent Ae sets once I found out they were touring so it was new to me. It totally blew my mind and didn't sound like anything I've ever heard before. Honestly hard to even draw similarities to how that track sounds.

My initial reactions I thought it was some crazy post-trance inspired sound (that big super saw). I feel what you're saying about the similarities to vaporwave. Like it definitely carries over the sonic aesthetic of things that sound familiar but in a lot of ways is chopped and skewed to the point that it is unrecognizable and sounds completely foreign. Not sure if that makes sense.

lovin the set ! hope to see you in france soon !

i would love to come play in france!!

couple of awesome tracks in this set. cygnus, please tell me the track played around the 15 mins mark will get a release! such a beast of a track.

that track is absolutely going to be released !! all of them are

saved all those links man, thank you@ !

yeah it looks like i have a lot to dig thru, tbh my exposure to the genre is probably heavily filtered. the visual component is pretty much my favorite part of it. there's this kind of dreamy feeling to it and its mad futuristic but it's also very nostalgic

i feel like that when i listen to drexciya - its like nostalgia for the past but it's also so future . kraftwerk too of course

yeah that future past / hauntology aspect of it is what I love about it - it's aesthetics and sounds that were seemingly never given the light of day in the past AND/OR has this nostalgic emotional response to media that people individually discarded or forgot. that's what distinguishes it from a lot of other music imo.

it's cathartic too - a lot of the vaporwave i like either samples or evokes new age, muzak, library and corporate music that made up childhood for me but in a passive sense. a chillwave had this at times too but mostly missed the mark. it's like boards of canada (who evoked 70s to early 80s music) for my generation (I'm 29) BUT I say that as my perspective...a lot of kids making this stuff weren't even born until right before or after 2000 so this is all completely novel and new to them as a look and vibe.

re:underground cassette scenes, yeah i totally feel that vibe

i have a tumblr with a lot of vaporwavey/webby images i wonder what u guys think of it?

http://bladerunna.tumblr.com

45WW0wy.gif

idk

I was floored by that track when I heard it live. I intentionally didn't listen to that many recent Ae sets once I found out they were touring so it was new to me. It totally blew my mind and didn't sound like anything I've ever heard before. Honestly hard to even draw similarities to how that track sounds.

My initial reactions I thought it was some crazy post-trance inspired sound (that big super saw). I feel what you're saying about the similarities to vaporwave. Like it definitely carries over the sonic aesthetic of things that sound familiar but in a lot of ways is chopped and skewed to the point that it is unrecognizable and sounds completely foreign. Not sure if that makes sense.

no that makes complete sense. its just so cold and jetting but at the same time that section with the saws is so aggressively colorful like a lot of vaporwave art is

makes me feel like this tumblr_ntghplyueY1ssby0io1_540.gif

or kinda like this? idk

tumblr_nqs8i24ZAC1ssby0io1_250.gif

maybe like this but less organic tumblr_nfoh1gy5dR1rs9cyvo1_r1_250.gif

track is vaporwave af imo

Archived