IGNORED

[Star Trek: Discovery] New Star Trek Series 2017

Nebraska

Tonight's episode was genuinely really good. Best one since Harry Mudd takes over the ship

I liked it except for a few major things that kind of ruined my enjoyment of it. And only seemed to be there for shock value and to make Trek seem ~eDgY~.

But the Tilly stuff was great.

Also

Georgiou is obviously the Emperor, right?

Mirror Universe is always mega edgy, part of the campy fun. Turned proud and scrappy Kira into a moustache twiddling nymphomaniac villain, for instance. I quite liked the new episode, though I hope they don't dwell in the mirror universe too long.

And yeah I was thinking the same for the emperor. If they do something stupid like Saru I'll drink a whole bottle of vodka on stream.

Also I am exceptionally attracted to Evil Tilly.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I'm much more into it. However

Not sure it's a good sign the two big twists so far were called pretty early by fans. It also still suffers from character apathy, I'm  finding it hard to really care about them. Now that we've found out Lorca was Evil Lorca all along it just feels like another one not to care about. The show badly needs more character development which is tough when it's high calibre action all the time, as opposed to older Trek where you'd have entire episodes spent on one or two characters dealing with a more mundane issue.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was really skeptical about this until I watched his Trek con announcement where he said “Captain Picard is back” and started crying when the audience went batshit. Also it seems like he has a lot of input on the new show, so it sounds like it won’t be a rehash. “This will not be the Jean-Luc Picard you know.” Ok, my interest is piqued.

Indifferent on the Spock casting for Disco. I’m so tired of rehashes of TOS. New stories in a much different time period please (Post-Dominion war show when? Maybe the Picard show will be that scratch to my itch?). Of course, there’s nowhere that Disco can go but up after those dreadful Mirror Universe episodes, so who knows.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

haha that trailer actually made me laugh out loud. seemed more like a fan edit of the worst parts of jj abrams star trek universe

btw: did they ever explain why this new star trek set in the past has better tech than everything that came after it?

yes, it's because it's being shot in the year 2018, not 1966, or 1987.

Pretty much this. When a franchise spans over 50 years you just have to roll with that shit - or stop making prequels, but the holodeck/replicator stuff was already getting pretty out of hand by the end of DS9/VOY. Interested to see what the new Picard show will do with the 20 year time jump after Nemesis.

yes, it's because it's being shot in the year 2018, not 1966, or 1987.

makes sense: but why then not set the events further in the future (beyond the events of VOY) rather than in the past (before TOS) ? 

makes sense: but why then not set the events further in the future (beyond the events of VOY) rather than in the past (before TOS) ?

because they didn't want to

Edited by caze

Didn't they start time traveling at the end of last season? Is it still a prequel in the new timeline, do I even care?