IGNORED

[Star Trek: Discovery] New Star Trek Series 2017

Nebraska

I always thought a ST show based on time travel like Dr Who would be a logical progression. They even set up that tangent on a few episodes of Voyager, the 29th Century Federation timeships. Might be a good place for the Picard show to explore.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

makes sense: but why then not set the events further in the future (beyond the events of VOY) rather than in the past (before TOS) ?

because they didn't want to

tmg-article_default_mobile.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Star Trek in 1997: Jake wants to find an antique baseball trading card to cheer up his dad

Star Trek in 2019:

L'Rell pulls out a severed baby's head to a court of cheering Klingon

Edited by WeAreOceans

• 2 months later...

While shlocky and badly written at times, I can appreciate it as a very slick looking show and having classic sci-fi tropes and went all epic and crazy. Captain Pike was on point and I want a show about him and crews adventures on the Enterprise. Discovery can fuck around in the far future like some Mass Effect game because some of the episodes could have been a Mass Effect DLC because I like shlocky scifi and when it's well produced it's even better.

Edited by azatoth
  • Like 1

i also hate how.. star trek TNG had a crappy first season but eventually got good, and Star Trek DS9 had a crappy first season but eventually good. 

it kind of gives all the new shows free passes to be crap and people will keep forgiving it with a sentiment of "maybe the next season will be better!". 

there's also plenty of tv shows, in the history of tv shows, that started crap.. stayed crap, then got forgot about cos they were crap. 

if it's crap = it's crap. if it's good = it's good. i'm sick of giving everything a free pass all the time in the hope that next year's efforts will be better. someone page me when the show's actually good... ain't noone got time for this crappy garbage crap. 

Edited by bitchroast

Perhaps it not being so Star Trek-y is why I like it. Never was a big fan of ST to begin with. Sure I watched TNG and Voyager when it was on but that's because I like sci-fi in general. With that said Discovery could do with better writing. It's rare TV shows are good straight out of the gate, it usually takes a season for it to find its legs and voice. Discovery changing showrunners mid-season probably contributed to the mess.

20 hours ago, azatoth said:

While shlocky and badly written at times, I can appreciate it as a very slick looking show and having classic sci-fi tropes and went all epic and crazy. 

TNG has to be the best looking and most aesthetically pleasing sci-fi show there is. The visual design is just spot on and the look has aged very well.

• Like 2

DS9 on the other hand looks like a kids game show set where you have to run around and find hidden items and avoid having "green goo" dumped on your head for being the losing team. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...