IGNORED

[Star Trek: Discovery] New Star Trek Series 2017

Nebraska

Guest bitroast

ye. i would have been perfectly okay if the JJ reboot films were purely reboot and not bullshit explanation alternate timeline. i guess the original shows always played with the idea of alt timelines and universes but to explore it so heavily with new actors playing old characters and to bring in old spock and shoehorn it into the existing iniverse ... it all still seems like a dumb move to me. just make it a reboot !!

Edited by bitroast

the thing about the JJ reboot, is it wiped away the entire history of Star Trek, save for the show Enterprise. Then, you have all of the time travel excursions into the past, the First Contact movie, ST4, etc so did those still happen? It's very murky and poorly thought out.

Alternate timelines/universes have been a huge part of the Star Trek universe since its inception. For all the mistakes of the Abrams movies, he got the alternate universe thing right. IMO it was a good decision for him to leave his take on ST open like that so he could explore and do whatever and if he fucked it up well it was an alternate universe never to be seen again.

I'm very much looking forward to the new TV series. Television is where Star Trek flourishes, where it needs to be. And someone at the helm who has proved the ability to make good television and is a ST fan, we're on the right path...let's see if the studios are smart and let the creators have freedom to make it great. I'm very curious to see the premise of the series, and of course how that fits into all the ST that currently exists.

sent using magic space waves

Guest bitroast

ye im guessing the JJ films forked off the timeline in another direction without outright erasing the original (otherwise how would old spock come in and chat with them, or something?).

anyhow, if the new series is set .. in the same timeline as the original tv shows, and sort of ignoring the jj movies because they exist in the jj everything-is-action-packed-and-sexy universe/timeline ... then that'd be sweet. maybe the crew in the tv series will have a dimension jump device and will be able to visit the two timelines at the flick of a button? ???

ace-ship.jpg

Yeah I guess the movies are in the alt. 1985 B2TF paradox, I meant the old timeline is probly not to be seen in movies for quite a while, if ever. I much prefer the original universe, and would love a series set in the 29th century, where they actually did have Federation time travel ships.

E7C6CE6B-CB7B-491D-AC1D-22AC52E3354F_zps

• 1 month later...

I'll miss the adorably bad acting from TNG though. That series was always fun to make fun of, in an almost MST3K fashion.

Yeah, my friend and I used to watch TNG reruns and realtime discuss on the interwebs how ridiculous everything is.

TOS is pretty neat if you can look past all the unintentional comedy and camp. Fun to watch anyway.

Guest bitroast

i cant wait to finish dumb Voyager and re-watch TNG.

not all Voyager is dumb** season 3 is actually starting a deliver a strong 40/60 dumb to good episode ratio !!!

but still, i'm watching it and will occassionally get bored and start imagining how much better the episode would be if picard was the captain, and riker was on the ship, and worf. geordie.

geordie :cattears:

It's so sad to go to his Twitter and see him just hawking a fucking t-shirt that only promotes the desire for a Worf consideration into a TV series. It's just Twitter, I know, but :sad:

i cant wait to finish dumb Voyager and re-watch TNG.

not all Voyager is dumb** season 3 is actually starting a deliver a strong 40/60 dumb to good episode ratio !!!

but still, i'm watching it and will occassionally get bored and start imagining how much better the episode would be if picard was the captain, and riker was on the ship, and worf. geordie.

geordie :cattears:

VOY is actually the "fun" star trek series. the problem is that they went overboard with the jokes. the banter betwix tom paris and harry kim kinda gets cringeworthy after a while, the neelix character was probably the worst thing they could've done. also, the even ruined the mystery of Q when

introduced the Q that wanted to commit suicide or the time he wanted to mate with janeway

but i loved the hirogen (basically predator) and species 8472. and i really wish they went back to the caretaker storyline (i know they did in coldfire but that felt more like they were trying to kill that storyline rather than develop it even further)

btw: is it just me or was b'elanna torres too hot for words?

Guest bitroast

yeah dont mind voyager when its good.

harry kim is such a shocking actor (not deanna troi bad tho bcause you can tell hes generally genuinely really having fun with it.)

agreed re: neelix. wtf were they thinking ?? its like they wrote him and kes into the show specicifically trying to give it a camp 70s spinoff vibe or something (still tho .. there have been good neelix moments here and there. honestly shocked at how little i hated the tuvix episode).

lastly. lol no wtf xD 3 seasons into this show and torres still gives me weird derpy vibes. waiting for that character to click.

lol.

i honestly love how bad actors some of the core star trek characters can be. not just harry kim or troi... but SISKO.

maybe not bad.. but there was something so weird about his acting that was just moment by moment fascinating to watch.

Edited by bitroast

The acting in TNG is pretty bad indeed, but I think the character design isn't too bad on any Star Trek shows, although often quite cliché. My judgement might be impaired by nostalgia, but i love all the characters on Voyager in their own way. B'elana and Neelix being my favorites.

It's probably not very difficult to meet my expectations for a Star Trek show as long as it stays true to that old flare and introduces some funny looking aliens. Just hope they don't try to make it into some sort of Michael Bayesque blockbuster in series form.

Filming going on at Paramount for a possible Star Trek Series ad campaign:

4495DBA8-9BBD-4845-BEAF-F7F0B758EC64_zps

http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/03/first-photos-from-star-trek-2017-pre-production/

Any guess on who that actor is?