IGNORED

[Star Trek: Discovery] New Star Trek Series 2017

Nebraska

They missed a trick not making Sisko a shape-shifter. Dude really seems like a man at the end of his wits trying to emulate human behavior and emotion. Like his only prior experience of the species was watching high school Shakespeare productions on public access television.

• 3 weeks later...

Nebraska, what about that would be bad? It's unconfirmed of course, but to me that sounds like a great combo of ideas: setting between TOS and TNG, but keeping it anthology style from season to season, it really opens up the possibilities of the series IMO. Not being on an Enterprise (at least season one...) is a little iffy, but I'm okay with it if they can keep it interesting. Curious what about it puts you off.

sent using magic space waves

• 3 weeks later...

Nebraska, what about that would be bad? It's unconfirmed of course, but to me that sounds like a great combo of ideas: setting between TOS and TNG, but keeping it anthology style from season to season, it really opens up the possibilities of the series IMO. Not being on an Enterprise (at least season one...) is a little iffy, but I'm okay with it if they can keep it interesting. Curious what about it puts you off.

sent using magic space waves

sorry about the late reply. imo, going back in time could (read as will) distort the timeline of events that have already been established by VOY and DS9. i suppose i'm one of those people who likes to keep moving forward rather than dwelling on TOS to TNG universe which is why i've never seen the jj abrams films

also, the new series will be a weekly web only subscription show which... i'm not really sure how i feel about that except ARGH!!!

The timeline thing could be bad if they let it be, I'd hope the writers would be smart enough to evade the pitfalls they may otherwise be tempted to play with there...but I can definitely agree on the moving forward preference. At least with an anthology style, they could really push it to include things in the future after TNG/etc. Doubtful, but it's at least an option.

This is my first hearing of the web-only subscription thing. Smart move from CBS, I'll give them that. If they've got lots of classic Late Show stuff from David Letterman and Craig Ferguson, I might be tempted to go for it. And of course depending on if the Trek series looks worth watching. If they turn it into some boring & safe moneygrab then I doubt I'll bite.

• 2 weeks later...

They missed a trick not making Sisko a shape-shifter. Dude really seems like a man at the end of his wits trying to emulate human behavior and emotion. Like his only prior experience of the species was watching high school Shakespeare productions on public access television.

brilliant.

also pumped for this. i want it to be after nemesis and voyager and the later time line stuff. prequels are so yesterday (booya).

That makes it sound like it will be on broadcast TV now. I thought it was a streaming exclusive.

only the premiere will be on television. all subsequent episodes will be on cbs all access (online)

btw: anyone notice it said "new crews"? if this is the case, i wonder if that means it won't focus on one flagship crew but rather more than 1 crew?

So by "new crews" it does look anthology based, that's cool. Hoping to see multiple time periods, including the 29th century timeline. Hype

And this shit will get pirated sooo fast, don't bother signing up for all access, that thing needs to die a quick death.

So by "new crews" it does look anthology based, that's cool. Hoping to see multiple time periods, including the 29th century timeline. Hype

i don't know about multiple time periods on the same show, but i was hoping more like we follow the adventures of recent graduates from star fleet academy as they intern on different ships, disagreements betwix crews about the treaty concerning the badlands and a little background to the formation of the maquis

And this shit will get pirated sooo fast, don't bother signing up for all access, that thing needs to die a quick death.

Streaming turned right back into cable so quickly, man.

A couple of media outlets are surmising from the teaser trailer that this will be set in between ST6 Undiscovered Country, and TNG. With an anthology structure to each season, it will either follow a different crew, or different time period within that span every year. Maybe following the saga of ships Enterprise-B and Enterprise-C

• 1 month later...

http://io9.gizmodo.com/bryan-fuller-promises-to-continue-star-treks-progressiv-1782514442

More details likely at San Diego Comic Con next month. For now...

we want to carry on what Star Trek does best, which is being progressive. So it’s fascinating to look at all of these roles through a colorblind prism and a gender-blind prism, so that’s exciting.

and

Along with the news that there will be 13 episodes of variable length—as has often been the case with a bunch the streaming only shows—he also revealed that the idea is to tell one story over the course of the season

Still sounding good to me. Not getting my hopes too high, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Guest bitroast

uhhhh. still on voyager atm. it's pretty fucking good tbh. having high hopes this new series isn't trash omg please MAKE STAR TREK GREAT AGAIN

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bitroast

http://www.startrek.com/article/international-broadcasters-set-for-new-star-trek-series

"CBS Studios International has announced that the new Star Trek television series will be broadcast exclusively in 188 countries by Netflix (excluding the United States and Canada), and in Canada by Bell Media."

this is a relief. given most people are savvy to finding (less than legal) alternatives to watching hard to watch tv shows ... i seriously cannot fathom any large number of viewers actually rushing to sign up and pay for cbs streaming service just for 1 show ..

Edited by bitroast