IGNORED

[Star Trek: Discovery] New Star Trek Series 2017

Nebraska

Guest bitroast

So the US is the only place where it's exclusive to their bullshit streaming service. Fuck off, CBS.

yeah true. i kind of overlooked that part.

really really really dumb move i think ... sure fire way to cripple the shows chance of getting a legit fanbase.

Netflix and CBS Studios International today announced a landmark international licensing agreement for the new “Star Trek” television series. Netflix will be the exclusive premiere home of “Star Trek” in 188 countries (excluding the US and Canada). Each episode of the new series will be available globally within 24 hours of its U.S. premiere.

https://media.netflix.com/en/press-releases/netflix-to-beam-new-cbs-star-trek-television-series-in-188-countries-around-the-world

*sigh* When will these companies wake up and realize that putting their media in as many hands as possible (rather than force users to use yet another streaming platform) will ultimately make MORE money in the long run, and reduce the incentive of piracy?

*sigh* When will these companies wake up and realize that putting their media in as many hands as possible (rather than force users to use yet another streaming platform) will ultimately make MORE money in the long run, and reduce the incentive of piracy?

i actually think they're trying to save people from wasting their time and money from watching the series. if A LOT of people seemed to not care about how star trek will be distributed, believe me cbs studios would release the property to as many hands as possible- but right now they know they can cut a deal with netflix, and in turn give them more customers who will subscribe to the service simply to watch trek.

Guest bitroast

http://www.startrek.com/article/international-broadcasters-set-for-new-star-trek-series

"CBS Studios International has announced that the new Star Trek television series will be broadcast exclusively in 188 countries by Netflix (excluding the United States and Canada), and in Canada by Bell Media."

this is a relief. given most people are savvy to finding (less than legal) alternatives to watching hard to watch tv shows ... i seriously cannot fathom any large number of viewers actually rushing to sign up and pay for cbs streaming service just for 1 show ..

Netflix and CBS Studios International today announced a landmark international licensing agreement for the new “Star Trek” television series. Netflix will be the exclusive premiere home of “Star Trek” in 188 countries (excluding the US and Canada). Each episode of the new series will be available globally within 24 hours of its U.S. premiere.

https://media.netflix.com/en/press-releases/netflix-to-beam-new-cbs-star-trek-television-series-in-188-countries-around-the-world

btw: forgot to add, that star trek streaming on netflix worldwide couldn't come at a better time

lol Nebraska

^I came buckets when I saw that yesterday. So hyped they may actually get me to subscribe and I haven't seen any actual characters or plot yet. Fanboying hard.

• 3 weeks later...

The show will be set 10 years before Kirk and Spock launch the Enterprise, main character will be a woman of color but not the Captain. Spock's mother to be a character on the show, and gay characters will appear according to the show runner.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/star-trek-discovery-will-likely-have-a-female-lead-1785119736

• 1 month later...

The show will be set 10 years before Kirk and Spock launch the Enterprise, main character will be a woman of color but not the Captain. Spock's mother to be a character on the show, and gay characters will appear according to the show runner.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/star-trek-discovery-will-likely-have-a-female-lead-1785119736

so basically a hybrid of enterprise, voyager and deep space 9 gleed out

its-love.png

it's a real question. i personally find it extremely patronizing when these companies go in with the intent to make a character appeal to diversity when most or all of the staff working behind the scenes, not to mention showrunners and writers and directors, are white. it's bullshit and a problem in hollywood.

Edited by keanu reeves

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bitroast

they've since said they're changing the look of the ship based on reception to this reveal. 

ie. the 5,538 like to 3,614 dislike ratio. 

to me the ship looked fine i guess but the cgi looked pretty unpolished. whatever. still hopeful this'll be rad. 

they've since said they're changing the look of the ship based on reception to this reveal. 

ie. the 5,538 like to 3,614 dislike ratio. 

to me the ship looked fine i guess but the cgi looked pretty unpolished. whatever. still hopeful this'll be rad. 

It's what's called pre-visualization, a very common technique in sci-fi and fantasy productions.  They render CG components in a lower rez poly count model to test things like lighting, camera angles, music overlay, movement, special effects, etc.  Watch any behind the scenes feature on a sci-fi / fantasy production, and you'll usually see the pre-viz videos as a bonus feature; like in uncompleted deleted scenes.  ILM helped develop this technique in the late 90s for effects jobs they were hired to do.  It's a much cheaper way to storyboard things out and do test footage, so you can scrap something or refine it without laying out a ton of money and man hours only to have to start over again.

problem is it's for show. maybe i'm wrong though, i was genuinely asking, are there people of color involved in production? then it would actually be a diverse program.

"the production put emphasis on carrying on the legacy of the previous series, including making efforts to feature a diverse cast"

personally, i'm not too sure about how now they feel a need to focus on LGBT cast/crew. i get why they want to do it, but when star trek originally did it, they didn't even address the issue. they treated it as a non-issue (i.e. in the future nobody gives a shit about your race or sexual preference. gene roddenberry went so far as to even say the bald captain wouldn't be even questioned in the star trek universe because nobody is ever seen as different unless they're actually evil or just a dipshit)

although there's also the fact that fuller has written some pretty interesting VOY episodes such as bride of chaotica! and workforce

320x240.jpg