IGNORED

[Star Trek: Discovery] New Star Trek Series 2017

Nebraska

I thought it was alright. The Klingon sequences were a lot better than how they've been handled in the past, and are more believable (I think) as an alien warrior race this time around.

I didn't think the main character's actions in the first episode were believable, so it remains to be seen if this was an anomaly or she acts this way throughout the series.

Also interesting to see Brian Fuller still listed as Executive Producer - I guess a lot of what he did still garners him credit in the end.

Any of you man actually end up paying for the streaming service just to watch this?

I’m probably gonna put off watching till the season’s over.

Edited by doublename

whaddayaknow - i actually enjoyed it. i found the the ultra pc and respectable manner of speaking and acting constrained by the military hierarchy quite amusing. it's refreshingly different from the recent star trek films where literally everyone is a bratty and colorful character that's all about outsmarting everyone and breaking the rules. obviously it happens here too, but it's different, the magnitude of chain of command, the importance of the mission and rules feels much more significant. the pacing is good. the visuals and the music too. the walking dead girl is actually watchable. the parallel and the back and forth between klingtons and the feds was well conceived. it touches the cliches often but doesn't really succumb to them due to good pacing. only the commando raid at the end seemed really stupid. plus it gets bonus points from me for seemingly pissing all of the star trek nerds.

The funniest bit to me is the ST nerds who are infuriated that this show doesn't look or act like a pauper-budget production from 1960. Like... even TNG/DS9/VOY flaunted continuity on a regular basis. Shocker, a Trek show produced in 2017 is going to look better and update technology. Sorry not sorry about the lack of fax machines and velour turtlenecks.

Also re: Klingons - I think they look awesome.

yeah it's alright

I liked the sci-fi and drama, the pace is faster (old Star Trek would never have cut it these days) without the ridiculous hyperactive JJ Abrams shit.

Dialogue and acting is a bit meh, even the science officer got a bit annoying and I usually like those sorts of characters. I like the reinvented Klingon but their language got a bit grating after a while.

The SFX are... bad. Not the worst I've seen but some scenes just take me out of it. The set design goes between looking okay to just horrible and cheap. I can forgive that sort of stuff for a sci-fi but I think back to how great The Expanse sets looked.

Also Michael's sudden insubordination is just really jarring. Like a disciplined officer is suddenly going to do that? They needed to build up her history with the Klingon more.

grand negus episodes / 10

Edited by WeAreOceans

The funniest bit to me is the ST nerds who are infuriated that this show doesn't look or act like a pauper-budget production from 1960. Like... even TNG/DS9/VOY flaunted continuity on a regular basis. Shocker, a Trek show produced in 2017 is going to look better and update technology. Sorry not sorry about the lack of fax machines and velour turtlenecks.

yeah... but it's also supposed to take place before TOS yet it looks like it's beyond the events of VOY.

the show is a mess

Also tbh this is probably the best Trek pilot episode since The Cage? Encounter at Farpoint was awful, Emissary was OK, Caretaker was OK, Broken Bow was meh.

you can't be serious. encounter at farpoint was amazing. remember those jellyfish being used to power an entire planet (?)- then we find out they were actually mates? oh and troi looking gorgeous beyond belief? i kind of agree about caretaker. that was meh- but it does establish certain characters: tom paris is the trouble maker. harry kim is a mommy's boy. neelix is annoying. the doctor has a terrible beside manner. tuvok hates chakotay. chokotay hates tuvok. torres is the most beautiful woman in voyager. 

oh and the new show sucks. what did i miss?

yeah... but it's also supposed to take place before TOS yet it looks like it's beyond the events of VOY.

the show is a mess

2017 vs. 1998

is this post a joke?

Also tbh this is probably the best Trek pilot episode since The Cage? Encounter at Farpoint was awful, Emissary was OK, Caretaker was OK, Broken Bow was meh.

you can't be serious. encounter at farpoint was amazing. remember those jellyfish being used to power an entire planet (?)- then we find out they were actually mates? oh and troi looking gorgeous beyond belief? i kind of agree about caretaker. that was meh- but it does establish certain characters: tom paris is the trouble maker. harry kim is a mommy's boy. neelix is annoying. the doctor has a terrible beside manner. tuvok hates chakotay. chokotay hates tuvok. torres is the most beautiful woman in voyager.

oh and the new show sucks. what did i miss?

farpoint is the literal definition of garbage.

okay i finally watched both episodes and tbh i think it was a mistake to air them as anything other than a pilot movie, because it completely changes what the show is about. instead of setting the stage for the show, the first two episodes are merely a prologue for the actual show. should have been aired as a premiere tv movie. from what i can tell, the actual show is far from what the first two episodes advertise themselves to be. also, i haven't been more excited about a Star Trek series in years. already far more invested than i was in Enterprise or Voyager. hell yeah doggs.

okay i finally watched both episodes and tbh i think it was a mistake to air them as anything other than a pilot movie, because it completely changes what the show is about. instead of setting the stage for the show, the first two episodes are merely a prologue for the actual show. should have been aired as a premiere tv movie. from what i can tell, the actual show is far from what the first two episodes advertise themselves to be. also, i haven't been more excited about a Star Trek series in years. already far more invested than i was in Enterprise or Voyager. hell yeah doggs.

Premiere episode and streaming-only episodes already cracked the Pirate Bay top 10 most downloaded shows. CBS should have aired it as a two-hour movie instead of the blatant bait and switch tactic to get fools to sign up for their lame streaming service.

From what I'm hearing, Fuller handled the pilot, and not much else, so the rest of the series will be very different from the pilot, and supposedly most of the supporting characters won't appear in the main series (WTF?).

Premiere episode and streaming-only episodes already cracked the Pirate Bay top 10 most downloaded shows. CBS should have aired it as a two-hour movie instead of the blatant bait and switch tactic to get fools to sign up for their lame streaming service.

From what I'm hearing, Fuller handled the pilot, and not much else, so the rest of the series will be very different from the pilot, and supposedly most of the supporting characters won't appear in the main series (WTF?).

"Here's a trailer for a new high budget series. DO you like it? BTW the actual series will be quite different, have different show runners, different cast and different themes. k lol"

with this alt-right/this is too pc/too sjw circle jerk i'm seeing i actually hope the whole cast will be replaced by black actors, including that robot. and the soundtrack should be replaced by 70's funk and r & b.

Edited by eugene

with this alt-right/this is too pc/too sjw circle jerk i'm seeing i actually hope the whole cast will be replaced by black actors, including that robot. and the soundtrack should be replaced by 70's funk and r & b.

*edit*

lol, this one's funnier

Airplane_b1624e_1644418.jpg

Edited by fletcher

opening theme was very very dull, by the time the credits finished I had already forgotten what it sounded like, liked the visuals though. the show itself looked great, far more cinematic compared to all the previous incarnations, big dynamic range with the lighting, some nice lighting fx going on too (thankfully not as over the top as JJ Abrams went), all unique to each scene, compared to standard tv show fare every scene is pretty much lit the same way. characters were decent, michael (dumb name) was good, captain was good, science jerk was good, not much time spent with anyone else due to the time they gave the klingons, seeing as the rest of the show will be set on a different ship I guess that makes sense though. I thought the Klingons were pretty good overall, they looked great, prosthetics were more interesting than the usual Star Trek fare, and their costumes and set design were much more interesting than previous Klingons too. Isn't there some dumb story involving a genetic engineering cockup that's supposed to explain their transition from their original appearance (seen here), to the fake-tan TOS look and finally to the Worf-alikes? Their language sounded dumb though, don't see why they felt the need to change that, the main guy sounded totally retarded, and generally it did not sound like a language that any of them was used to actually speaking. story was decent enough for a pilot, hopefully the rest of it isn't all space battles and Klingon shit. Was much better than Enterprise at least, will wait to see a few more before passing further judgement. 

wow this was bad. this was so bad. the klingons are re-designed (?). why? and number 1? argh. this is so painfully bad it should be used as a torture video. 

Yes, all of the "legacy" creators credited as Executive Producers, which is a meaningless title (because they were mostly fired, except Gene Roddenberry's son).  I really wanted to like this, it was some good, some bad, but mostly bad.  Why revamp the entire Klingon culture?  They still worship Kahless, but we've seen him before and he looks like the "classic" TNG Klingon with hair.  I also wanted to see the traditional character cameo from a preceding series, i.e Scott Bakula, that would have cemented what timeline this takes place in.  I can only fear they have decided this show needs a "hook", and that hook, which will be revealed in Episode 13, will be what timeline this takes place in.  Most of the dialogue was robotic technical jargon, and the traditional rule of thumb is every new Trek show sucks for the first 2 seasons, but I can't see this getting that far if it doesn't improve.  I also read it was one of the most pirated pilot episodes in TV history, so yeah that brilliant idea of streaming it worked out real well for CBS.  Their CEO is a fucking dinosaur, I mean he approved "Young Sheldon" for Chrissakes.  lol

wow this was bad. this was so bad. the klingons are re-designed (?). why? and number 1? argh. this is so painfully bad it should be used as a torture video. 

and the traditional rule of thumb is every new Trek show sucks for the first 2 seasons

they definitely came through with that. it's nice to know there are still traditions that will always be honored and the writers knew what their fans expected and appreciate: a bad first season. maybe that's why bryan fuller left as show runner.