IGNORED

[Star Trek: Discovery] New Star Trek Series 2017

Nebraska

Isn't there some dumb story involving a genetic engineering cockup that's supposed to explain their transition from their original appearance (seen here), to the fake-tan TOS look and finally to the Worf-alikes?

There is a Deep Space Nine episode where the crew, for whatever reason I forget, go back in time to The Original Series with Worf. Someone asks him why the Klingons look different and he acts kind of awkward about it and mentions something about Klingons experimenting with genetic engineering... I think Enterprise explains it more but I never bothered watching.

Also, in Discovery, Michael mentions that it's like March 11th on Earth or something, But they're in another star system right? That's like several light years away. How can you say with such certainty what the day is on Earth when you're so far away? Even with warp travel the theory of relativity still exists so like what would that statement mean? It's not what time you observe when light arrives because she'd be looking at Earth from several years ago so what does it mean. What time it is depends on how quickly you can arrive there, what speed you are travelling at currently, right?

20f0dae7cfba8ec03b47554144f17da7.jpg

Edited by WeAreOceans

Their CEO is a fucking dinosaur, I mean he approved "Young Sheldon" for Chrissakes.  lol

I saw the commercial for that on tv the other day and immediately just  :facepalm:

Michael mentions that it's like March 11th on Earth or something, But they're in another star system right? That's like several light years away. How can you say with such certainty what the day is on Earth when you're so far away? Even with warp travel the theory of relativity still exists so like what would that statement mean? It's not what time you observe when light arrives because she'd be looking at Earth from several years ago so what does it mean. What time it is depends on how quickly you can arrive there, what speed you are travelling at currently, right?

Maybe Earth time is just the Federation standard? It may not be accurate, but It's more convent to have an intergalactic standard rather than wildly conflicting times, right? Or maybe the writers are just stupid. Who knows?

wow this was bad. this was so bad. the klingons are re-designed (?). why? and number 1? argh. this is so painfully bad it should be used as a torture video. 

Yes, all of the "legacy" creators credited as Executive Producers, which is a meaningless title (because they were mostly fired, except Gene Roddenberry's son).  I really wanted to like this, it was some good, some bad, but mostly bad.  Why revamp the entire Klingon culture?  They still worship Kahless, but we've seen him before and he looks like the "classic" TNG Klingon with hair.  I also wanted to see the traditional character cameo from a preceding series, i.e Scott Bakula, that would have cemented what timeline this takes place in.  I can only fear they have decided this show needs a "hook", and that hook, which will be revealed in Episode 13, will be what timeline this takes place in.  Most of the dialogue was robotic technical jargon, and the traditional rule of thumb is every new Trek show sucks for the first 2 seasons, but I can't see this getting that far if it doesn't improve.  I also read it was one of the most pirated pilot episodes in TV history, so yeah that brilliant idea of streaming it worked out real well for CBS.  Their CEO is a fucking dinosaur, I mean he approved "Young Sheldon" for Chrissakes.  lol

rubin what do you want? i've got the head of television here and he needs to know.

wow this was bad. this was so bad. the klingons are re-designed (?). why? and number 1? argh. this is so painfully bad it should be used as a torture video.

Yes, all of the "legacy" creators credited as Executive Producers, which is a meaningless title (because they were mostly fired, except Gene Roddenberry's son).  I really wanted to like this, it was some good, some bad, but mostly bad.  Why revamp the entire Klingon culture?  They still worship Kahless, but we've seen him before and he looks like the "classic" TNG Klingon with hair.  I also wanted to see the traditional character cameo from a preceding series, i.e Scott Bakula, that would have cemented what timeline this takes place in.  I can only fear they have decided this show needs a "hook", and that hook, which will be revealed in Episode 13, will be what timeline this takes place in.  Most of the dialogue was robotic technical jargon, and the traditional rule of thumb is every new Trek show sucks for the first 2 seasons, but I can't see this getting that far if it doesn't improve.  I also read it was one of the most pirated pilot episodes in TV history, so yeah that brilliant idea of streaming it worked out real well for CBS.  Their CEO is a fucking dinosaur, I mean he approved "Young Sheldon" for Chrissakes.  lol

rubin what do you want? i've got the head of television here and he needs to know.

Off with the head of the head of television.

I don't understand all the hate...I thought it was class!

Expectations, like a phaser, were set to low - but turned out it was set... to kill

Sure there was some hammy scenes, dialogue, things are different etc. etc. but on the grand scheme of things I think they did a fairly good job.

They've done a better job at showing an updated depiction of the Star Trek universe then any of the recent film reboots.

Only watched the first 2 episodes, and truth be told the "coming up on this season of Star Trek" TV segment which they ran after the show didn't fill me with so much confidence, but i'm happy to ride it out and see what happens.

• 4 weeks later...

Gave this a go and thought it was an alright show. Not a Trekkie by any means so I don't have any expectations on what a ST show should be about. Production design is great and think the new Klingons look fine. Will probably follow it to see if it improves.

Has this improved at all? Still haven't seen it.

No, in fact Seth MacFarlane's new show is better, and that's not very good either, and is supposed to be a comedy (it's not very funny though). The acting and visuals and so forth are decent enough, the characters are all mostly far too stupid to have attained their ranks, and the writing and characterisations in general are pretty shit.

My biggest gripe with it is the incredibly dumb mushroom warp drive and it's ridiculous navigator, in general it's very poor on the science end of things, Star Trek was never exactly hard-SF, but it at least made an effort to come up with reasonable sounding jargon and vaguely plausible technologies.

I agree it's pretty terrible, but so is Discovery, and at least it manages to get what Star Trek was about (it's basically TNG fan fiction). This show is far too like the JJ Abrams movies, which also completely fail to get what makes good science fiction (which is good ideas, this show has none). You'd have thought Bryan Fuller would know better, having working on DSN and Voyager, Kurtzman's involvement probably hasn't helped though.

Edited by caze

I think the show (so far, up to episode 4) has been pretty good - the first and second episodes merely set up the series proper, and if it weren't for one returning character (and some flashbacks/references to characters in the first two episodes), you could almost have started the series with episode 3 and been just fine.

What about the mushroom drive though? What would you give it on a dumbness scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the most dumb)? I really can't get past that, it's such a terrible idea.

I thought the idea of the spore drive was actually pretty cool, and I'm expecting it to get fleshed out a little more as the series progresses, because it's obviously not going to stick around very long.

Also, yesterday's episode was my favorite one yet, and just the right time to start fleshing out the peripheral characters. The Sarek stuff in particular worked really well for me.

I'm not seeing why the "Ash is Voq in disguise" theory is blowing up, though. I could be wrong, but I just don't see it.

I like the premise of the spore drive, sci-fi should be fucking weird, but the explanation of how it works takes the magic out of it. The "biology as physics" thing could have been neat but just amounts to "oh yeah its magic quantum roots are all over space".

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone else still watching this? I thought the most recent episode was by far the best. I know that the time loop has been done to death on every sci-fi show imaginable, but I think this was probably my favorite use of it I've seen. Also I'm not a huge fan of them bringing Harry Mudd back, but I thought that Rainn Wilson's nailed it in both of the episodes he's portrayed him. It's definitely been a rough start to the show and I'm still not convinced it's ever going to reach the heights of the other series' best moments, but I certainly have hope now.