IGNORED

can anyone translate that spanish interview of B.o.C ??

khov

Guest i.boc'd.ur.mom
I'd give it a shot, but I can't open rar files.

Problem solved. All the questions on old tunes are in question 1. Thanks a lot if you can do this.

page_5_of_5.pdf

Here's the important part:

"now, a consolation for fans: aside from an EP for 2006, the most ambitious plan of Boards of Canada for the future is to publish a box with an ample selection of the material between 1987 and 1995. "

Well, that's both good and bad news. Good, in that they'll release some of their earlier music, but bad in that they're not going to release it in it's entirety. C'mon Mike and Marcus, just give us a deluxe box set! I'd hate for them to pull and AFX and make a quirky choice like Chosen Lords, while leaving masterpieces like Bwoon Dub on the cutting room floor. I want it all, is that too much to ask? :fear:

Guest doctorvee

I know absolutely no Spanish, but I can guess this, with a little help from Google.

There is a question about Closes Vol 1, Hopper [sic] Bay, etc... and Sandison replies something along the lines of: these were primarily recorded on tapes, and later remastered for CDs and a limited number were circulated only among friends. We thought we could trust those friends. We never gave any of them to anybody we didn't know well. If any have filtered onto the internet it is because we gave trusted the people too much, or gave too many cassettes out. Some discs were limited to 20 or 30 copies, but some could be up to 100.

Eoin continues: But the only ones that have circulated widely across the whole internet are 'BoC Maxima' and 'Old Tunes'. But it would not surprise me if next year we see 'Acid Memories' as well. [I'm not sure about this one, Google mangled this sentence up quite a lot, but this appears to be what it says. :omg: ] Anyway, that any of these tapes made by us remain unpublished is a miracle. When we made these tapes we could never imagine the invention of the MP3.

Now consolation for fans: Sometime in 2006 there is a plan to release a box set with an ample selection of material from 1987 to 1995!!! "Perhaps we do it with Warp." Please!

I'll edit this post with the rest, but I need to publish now!

The fact that they think that Acid Memories is gonna leak as well suggests to me that they think they know who did it.. Heh.

This isn't the same interview, but another good interview for Dutch magazine HUMO, translated by someone on Twoism:

BOARDS OF CANADA - cross out the inappropriate

‘Today’s youth has no respect anymore for A) Music, B) Acne, and C) Yesterday’s youth’

With their new album ‘The Campfire Headphase’, Boards of Canada – the Scottish electronic duo Marcus Eoin and Michael Sandison – bid farewell to the cult status they achieved after ‘Music Has The Right To Children’ and foremost ‘Geogaddi’. On ‘Campfire’, we didn’t hear any layered, discomforting ambient littered with obscure references, but instead ten surprisingly straightforward sounding tracks full of weathered easy listening, and the melancholy of bruised Fisher Price-toys.

According to the legend, Eoin and Sandison are unworldly hermits living in a Scottish rural community, but the lads[/ï] we drink cappuccino with right now in the incredibly hip student quarters of Glasgow are dead normal guys in their thirties who – just like us – grew up during the late seventies and early eighties. Read: too young for the first punk wave, drenched with dry new-wave melancholy, heavily brainwashed by trashy American televison series. If you’re still in doubt: Having watched all ‘A-Team’ episodes creates a bond.

MARCUS EOIN (enthousiastic) "Did you hear that on ‘Campfire’, I played a small part that resembles the jingle of Stephen J. Cannell Productions – you know, the producer of ‘The A-Team’?"

HUMO Oops, no.

MARCUS “The closing jingle of ‘The A-Team’? No? You see someone using a typewriter while there’s a ‘tum-tum-tum-tu-dum’ melody playing in the background. It took me a damn day to recreate it perfectly, that’s why I’m happy as a lark when someone tells me he did recognize it (laughs).”

HUMO ‘The Campfire Headphase’ sounds like the tapes have leavened in a humid cellar for twenty years: dead-gorgeous but half vanished. And the cover looks like a used beer mat: the pictures are totally bleached.

MICHAEL SANDISON “You hit the nail on the head. It had to look like the album had been lying on the dashboard of our car since 1980.”

MARCUS “We want to react against the sterile, soulless, gleaming junk that is dominating record stores.”

MICHAEL “I love to browse in my boxes with old cassettes. All those dirty cases I have written on with a marker, the noise between the tracks… absolutely charming!

“In the nineties, producers sometimes mixed the crackling of old vinyl LPs in their tracks to let them sound more authentically. We go much farther: we mutilate our sounds consciously. We don’t have to try really hard, though: a lot of our studio equipment is garbage anyway (laughs).”

“Did you ever hear ‘The Disintegration Loops’ from William Basinski? Basinski, an American producer, wanted to convert his twenty-year-old cassettes to a digital format, but because they had been at the bottom of a drawer for so long, fragments of the magnetic tape came off. But instead of stopping the process to save the tapes, he went on with it and got the dying sounds digitalized and on cd. The results are ancient soundscapes sounding fantastic as well as tragic: you can really hear them pass away. When I read that story, I thought: hey, that’s what we’ve been doing for years: writing tracks using sounds that soak off a feeling of melancholy.

“It bothers me that the kids of today have no respect for music anymore: they quickly listen to a few fragments on the internet and then they decide whether they’ll buy the cd or not. When Marcus and I were young, we treated all of our vinyls with equal respect: even when it was total garbage, we still tried to listen to it as much as possible, sometimes just to deny the fact that we had invested our hard-earned pocket money on a shitty record (laughs). And, more importantly: we went to clubs to see artists live at work, we watched and listened to music on TV and radio, together with our friends we all listened to crappy cassette decks… Music truly was our life, but nowadays it is for a lot of people no more than a leaking tap: everyone, in the office and in the living room, constantly hears sounds coming from their computers, but no-one takes the effort anymore to actually listen to it.

MARCUS “Music has become an occupation for autists: ‘Me and my iPod, and just leave me alone’ – that’s how an ordinary morning in a train is like.”

HUMO: (couldn’t translate this one very accurately, it means something like: “you both are talking like two old nostalgic guys!” – someone coming up with a better translation? I can always edit it)

MICHAEL (laughs loudly) “It it stronger than ourselves, but we have nostalgia to our early teen years, when discovering music was an almost mystical experience.”

MARCUS “Mid-seventies until the early eighties: those were the golden years.”

HUMO Try to say that to someone older than forty: you’ll get a rant about ‘those shitty eighties’, that’s for sure.

MICHAEL: “They are wrong. The nineties, those sucked (laughs).”

“The eighties were a magical period for us: we were enchanted by music for the first time, smoked our first cigarette, had our first girlfriend. As a young teenager, you’re a blank sheet of photo paper, ready to get exposed to flashes of light: everything that happens to you in these years has an everlasting impact on you life.”

MARCUS “And with our music, we try to translate that nostalgic feeling in sounds. We don’t – like heaps of rock-and electronic bands of today – revert to what is considered the archetypal music of the late seventies and early eighties: we put our experience of that age – with our films, our TV-shows and our music’ – into sounds.”

The fifth chord

HUMO ‘Campfire’ is a great deal more accessible than its predecessor. Didn’t you finally want to – don’t laugh – get access to a wider public?

MARCUS “Superstars at last (laughs)!”

MICHAEL “We’re still proud of ‘Geogaddi’, but let’s get things straight: it was a record for the fans – guys of whom we knew they would have the patience to listen to it attentively anyway, and who would make it a sport to pick out the obscure winks to politics and Satanism. ‘Campfire’ is more of a warning directed to the fans: you better watch out, the next record could perhaps differ even more radically from our earlier work.

“Boards of Canada is a unique project that got a bit out of hand. We wanted to make only one record on which we would pour the dreams of our youth in sounds, but right now we are at album number four already and the end is still not in sight (laugh). But we did once and for all away with a few of our tics: those deformed, eerie voices, those complex and repetitive song structures, and so on. We wanted full-fledged songs, complete with intros, hinges, refrains and bridges. A bit like a rock band, actually. ‘Campfire’, my dear, is officially our first pop record.”

MARCUS “In fact, ‘Geogaddi’ was also pop, albeit of the most hor-rib-ly difficult kind (laughs).”

HUMO A lot of your colleagues would rather keep hanging around in the same strait instead of admitting that you can’t keep being innovative – moreover, it is no crime to make accessible music.

MARCUS (to Michael) “Oh no, I think he means we’re starting to look like Phil Collins.”

MICHAEL “I know what you mean: many of the artists that were exciting in the past – even Genesis – changed after years in obese forty-year-olds, listening more to their accountant than to each other. But I’m already glad that you don’t insinuate that we’re holding a clearance sale. You wouldn’t be the first: one of your colleagues asked if maybe after ‘Campfire’ we would make - dammit – real pop music.”

HUMO Don’t worry: I’m allergic to people who regard ‘pop’ as a filthy word.

MICHAEL “I’m pleased to hear that, because I don’t understand what some people have against pop music. Take something like Goldfrapp: brilliant band, consisting for three quarters of bits of electronic music and poppy as hell. You can’t possibly be against such a thing, right?”

MARCUS “In the eighties and nineties there existed a strict separation between ‘pop’ – the fastfood from the hit lists – and ‘alternative’ – music for connoisseurs. This division has fortunately disappeared. For me, every artist that is good in what he is doing is ‘pop’ – anything between, let’s say, the Foo Fighters and Missy Elliot. So why wouldn’t Boards of Canada be pop music?”

MICHAEL “With this difference: we let hear a shrill tone at the right moment – in our terminology: the magical fifth chord. If you do something the listener doesn’t expect on the crucial moment, his ear will pay extra attention there the next time he listens: this way, you keep music fascinating.”

Stinking druids

HUMO I’m very disappointed that you guys are – unlike the myth about Boards of Canada – no unworldly druids stinking out of their mouths. You even look suspiciously ordinary.

MARCUS (laughs) “You’re not the only one who is surprised at that: last years we have given interviews only sporadically, and mostly via e-mail, and since then we read everywhere that we are a bunch of paranoid hermits.”

MICHAEL “We have experienced that journalists make up a story themselves to accompany your music, if need be. In our case: that we live in a community far from the civilized world, renouncing every form of civilization and sacrificing humans. Why it took us so long to be aware of that, is because whe have better things to do than to sift out the professional press.”

MARCUS English music press lives on music groups that don’t exactly make (cautious) special, particular music, but still they’re with their mug on the cover, week after week. We absolutely don’t want that.

MICHAEL “You hear it: the principal reason why we have been sitting here talking to you, is to set the record straight. Boards of Canada are two simple guys who, by chance, make intriguing music.”

HUMO Keep up the good work! And thank you.

Kristoff Tilkin

well they do say it will be a box... when you say you "want it all" - well jeez, they must literally have 1000s of unreleased songs. and when is a 'song' a song either? i don't know if you make music, but for every finished song you do there's probably 5 others that you've got 90% done or have gotten sick of and just put away for a rainy day. and BoC have been making music seriously since the late '80s... that's A LOT of music. that's what i think a lot of where those 'old tunes' tapes come from. sort of half finished stuff and sketches and some finished tracks which didn't fit onto other projects.

from the looks of that translation, they'll do a big compilation thing of unreleased things - not in any kind of 'release' order. or they'll do a 6 CD box or whatever with all of those known pre-twoism records.

It's just the "selection" part of "ample selection" that worries me a little. Of course I don't want every little sample they've ever made. But the Old Tunes songs don't sound like sketches at all to me, they sound like finished tracks. When it comes down to it, there are some Old Tunes tracks that I could live without hearing remastered, the thing is I'm not sure BoC have the same taste as I do - for example, I don't understand why they never released those excellent tracks from their live shows. There's also a tendency for artists to be dissatisfied with their earlier work and want to meddle with it in some way - look what Lucas did with the Star Wars films. I'd rather they not tinker with their old tracks, apart from remastering them if possible, and leave them in the same sequence as they appeared on the original cassettes/albums. But we'll see. With BoC's reverence for all things nostalgic, I'm hoping they'll come up with a suitably respectful way to re-release this material.

Edit: I wish they could do it through Benbecula and not Warp. Benbecula seems to be doing a great job with the Minerals series, even if the music is not often that appealing. Imagine getting a new old BoC release every few months or so, wrapped in a custom tartan :)

Guest endangered betche

Of course, you're all missing the real news:

MARCUS (to Michael) “Oh no, I think he means we’re starting to look like Phil Collins.”

The Phil Collins/BOC connection has been confirmed...

Guest endangered betche

Seriously, though - I know a lot of us are rather obsessed, but if they release ANY of the earlier stuff, we shouldn't quibble - and consider ourselves lucky.

:boc:

yeah people in this thread need to be much much much much more excited about the confirmation of the box set release ... this is seriously like the biggest BoC news for years

yeah people in this thread need to be much much much much more excited about the confirmation of the box set release ... this is seriously like the biggest BoC news for years

It is exciting...But the interview is from 2005, before TCH EP came out. So even though it doesn't need saying, anything could happen...

OK, I'll give in. I'm fucking stoked. The thought of hearing Hooper Bay or Acid Memories makes my head assplode. I almost wish they wouldn't release it in one box set, just pledge to release one old album each year for the next seven years or so. That would make it all the more delicious...

I love you :boc: !

Guest PerryH
OK, I'll give in. I'm fucking stoked. The thought of hearing Hooper Bay or Acid Memories makes my head assplode. I almost wish they wouldn't release it in one box set, just pledge to release one old album each year for the next seven years or so. That would make it all the more delicious...

I love you :boc: !

wow thanks guys, I won't be sleeping for the next year or so

Guest Moebius

The Spanish interview was known before, and while there still has yet to be a complete manual translation of it, the bit about the Old Tunes set was recognized.

AFX and make a quirky choice like Chosen Lords, while leaving masterpieces like Bwoon Dub on the cutting room floor.

what the fuck!!

i'm sorry but i thought Bwoon Dub was ACTUALLY released on ep (analord2, last year) on perfect wax, while stuff like "acid memories" are still locked @ B.o.C HQ.... dont blame AFX or george lucas, if you want to hear bwoon dub, just buy the record, its everywhere..

previous material to twoism, does it really exist?

the official Boc discog didn't started with "hi scores" in skam but a lot earlier......[boring stuff]

-are "closes volume 1", "hopper bay" or "acid memories" real?

sandison- :yes they are. at the beginning they were released on tape and some were re released on cd but always in a very limited amount of copies that were only given to friends. People that we really trusted. If those records leaked on the internet is because we trusted the worng people or beacuse we gave away more tapes than was really necessary.

the amount of copies per release varies from 20 to 100.

eoin- :in all these years the only records that were widely found on the internet are "maxima" and the "old tunes" and i wouldn't be surpised if next years we start seeying "acid memories" leaked. infact we found it quite miraculous that not all of the other stuff is not leaked yet. We never thought that something like the MP3s would be created.

something to make the fans happy, in 2006 they will release an ep and a box with old material from 1987 till 1995 "maybe we will release it on warp".

AFX and make a quirky choice like Chosen Lords, while leaving masterpieces like Bwoon Dub on the cutting room floor.

what the fuck!!

i'm sorry but i thought Bwoon Dub was ACTUALLY released on ep (analord2, last year) on perfect wax, while stuff like "acid memories" are still locked @ B.o.C HQ.... dont blame AFX or george lucas, if you want to hear bwoon dub, just buy the record, its everywhere..

Yes, I sort of exaggerated to make my point...I don't have a record player, or the money to buy the analord vinyls so for me it's almost the same as if they don't exist at all - I have them on mp3, just like BoC's Old Tunes. Of course they do exist and I could by them, but that wasn't really my point...My point was mainly that artist's often have bizarre (to my mind) taste when it comes to selecting the "greatest hits" from among their tracks

i see, trust me, the analords sounds better (including cd i think; those lovely bass & beats...) on wax, whenever you get some cash, i recommend you to get a record player (even second hand ones) & some heavy vinyls : its warmer / more pleasant to the ears.

a nice cover for that B.o.C set would be a picture of a campfire, at night, not made of burning wood but burning 'old tapes' of BOC, like a tribute to KLF burning cash on a lonely scottish island (& burning original BOC tapes, knowing they would cost a lot on ebay, would equals burning shitload of cash)

i see, trust me, the analords sounds better (including cd i think; those lovely bass & beats...) on wax, whenever you get some cash, i recommend you to get a record player (even second hand ones) & some heavy vinyls : its warmer / more pleasant to the ears.

vinyl wont sound better than cd on crappy cheap second hand tables..

Guest nene mcgriff burger

1. Does all the pre-Twoism material really exist?

The official BoC discography doesn’t begin with the “Hi Scores” ep on Skam, but much earlier. The Music70 reference list includes an album before even “Music Has the Right to Children” - “BoC Maxima” (96), limited to fifty copies on CD and even fewer on tape, the biggest part of the material was rerecorded and recycled subsequently for the debut on Warp - and a series of eps, of which no one had any notice and whose authenticity - the leaks on the web have always been incomplete, many tracks extracted and stolen from the curtains(?) of the duo’s official web - one could never fully guarantee. Has something titled “Closes Volume 1” ever existed? “They exist,” assures Sandison. “In their first incarnation they were cassette tapes, and we re-released some on CD, but the runs were very limited and they only circulated among friends. We make sure to give them to the right people, in whose hands they could be safe; we never gave anything to anyone we didn’t know very well. If one of those records has leaked on the internet it’s because we placed too much confidence in someone or because maybe we distributed more cassettes than necessary, there are twenty or thirty copies of some records, but there might be up to a hundred of others.” “In all these years,” continues Eoin, “only ‘BoC Maxima’ and the compilation “Old Tunes” have circulated widely on the internet. But it wouldn’t surprise me if next year “Acid Memories” starts to show up there. Anyway, that tapes of ours remain unreleased is a miracle; when we made them we never imagined that something called MP3 could be invented.” Now, a consolation for the fans: apart from an ep for 2006, Boards of Canada’s most ambitious plan is to release a box with an ample selection of material from between 1987 and 1995. “Maybe we’ll do it with Warp.” Please.

2. Why don’t they play anything live?

From Boards of Canada only three concerts are remembered: one at Warp’s tenth anniversary party, another in Scotland at a natural place and a third at an old edition of the festival All Tomorrow’s parties and at the earlier request of the boys of Autechre. Since then, nothing. But that stage silence is going to change, at least next year. “We want to play,” confirms Sandison, “but we want them to be very special and very well chosen dates. We still don’t know anything because we’re talking it over with Warp; they want us to play in North America and we prefer to do it in Europe, and we don’t know what it will be in the end. But if we play in Europe, we would like it to be in special places, in natural surroundings or at lovely sites. We’ll do some festival the same way, but they have to be festivals that attract us for some special reason. We want it to be an analogue and elaborate live show, without computers or software in the way. We don’t like laptop shows. Electronic music needs to take back a little of the physicality of back then, that touching of machines. We would love to go to Barcelona, why not.” Come on, then!

3. Do Boards of Canada include satanic messages in their tracks?

The facts: “Geogaddi” lasts exactly 66 minutes and 6 seconds - the number of the beast-, and one of the tracks is named “Devil’s In the Details.” The track “Amo Bishop Roden” alludes to one of the victims of the Waco bloodbath, when the sect the Davidians led by David Koresh committed collective suicide before the forced entry of the FBI on the farm where they were concentrated; listening closely in some tracks voices appear that could be played backwards, or psicofonías(?) appear; “Sixtyten,” on “Music Has the Right to Children,” includes a series of numbers recited by a child’s voice that some fans, as if they were interpreting the guess(?), have suspected that they hide some secret meaning or message, as if they were the numbers of “Lost Ones” you know them, 4 8 15 16 23 42. “Sometimes we do things on the records destined to provoke ideas or states of mind; others are tracks, tricks, or gratuitous elements that we put there so the people will ask themselves about them. We’re not involved in any kind of cult or occult religion; it’s all esthetics and play,” explains Michael Sandison. “A child’s voice, or a dialogue out of context, can help give that dark touch that we search for, with a subliminal component: you hear something very lovely and later, underneath, you’re hearing something so dark that it gives you chills. But most of the time we do things as a joke,” according to Eoin. “If Geogaddi lasts 66 minutes and 6 seconds it’s because we like to end the records with a long silence, and our sound technician saw it clearly and told us, ‘why don’t you take this opportunity to stretch the record out to 66 minutes and 6 seconds?’ and we said ‘well sure.’ It’s not a satanic message: it’s a big joke.

4. Are their fans crazy?

Boards of Canada fans do things that, for example, a Sean and Cake or Rocío Jurado fan would never do. Before the release of “The Campfire Headphase,” up to three distinct versions were circulating on Soulseek, and the three were fakes, records by imitating fans who, taking advantage of the situation and the minimal information provided about the record -number of tracks, track names- put their music on the internet to impersonate the real Boards of Canada. “A friend of mine from New Zealand sent me a mail,” tells Marcus, “and he said to me ‘I’ve heard your new record on the internet and it’s fantastic.’ I didn’t understand anything. It hadn’t even been sent!” There are also fans who become critics, like the one in charge of the blog Angryrobot, who published a track-by-track commentary of the completely fabricated record that other fans responded to with their posts, uncovering the trick, including a Marcus Eoin impersonator who told Angryrobot face to face that his review was fake. “But it wasn’t me,” assures Marcus. “They not only fake our records, but our identities!” Many Boards of Canada fans firmly believe that a maxi from 2002 titled “Lavender Trapezoids” exists, but what circulates on Soulseek is, in fact, an ep by the English electronic music producer CiM. And this way to infinity. But if anything shows that the biggest Boards fans are out of their minds it’s in the prices that they can bring themselves to pay for some of their records. Two months ago a test pressing on blue vinyl, and with only one side of four songs from “Geogaddi,” went to auction on eBay. One ‘amtiskaw’ put it up for auction and one ‘lenapiem’ bought it for 215 pounds (some 315 euros). “We know ‘amtiskaw,’ he’s a former Warp employee who left the job and is now starting a business, he needs the money and that’s why he’s selling all those rare records. But he isn’t the problem,” says Michael Sandison between laughs. “The problem is the madman who pays more than 200 pounds for a piece of blue plastic.” The kind who, a little while ago, and without blinking, spent 70 pounds on the first Jega maxi and 120 on the first from Bola, both released by Skam, the label on which Boards of Canada came to be known by being signed by Autechre. Yes, there are fans who are very sick or who have too much money. Or is it that Boards of Canada are so great that there is no choice but to go crazy over them?

We fans are the worst, but at the same time we have -they have, rather- elevated Boards of Canada to cult status thanks to a position of power that not many groups manage to guarantee their followers: powerlessness. Boards of Canada is one of those few names of which it’s impossible to have it all -not even on MP3, for whom they search for rarities on the bird or on the mule (haha, don't know this saying)-, and much less know it all. You can’t because they don’t let you. The mystery that they’re still wrapped in, especially their past and their intentions, has given birth to a series of myths, speculations, and eccentric behaviors that Sandison and Eoin have accepted will clear up on their own. The moment has arrived. Ready?

But it wouldn’t surprise me if next year “Acid Memories” starts to show up there.

Cue 10 million new Acid Memories fakes appearing on Soulseek in the coming months.

Guest i.boc'd.ur.mom

But it wouldn’t surprise me if next year “Acid Memories” starts to show up there.

Cue 10 million new Acid Memories fakes appearing on Soulseek in the coming months.

You're really clouding the energy in this room. (grandma's boy + spliff = funny shit)

Archived