IGNORED

How did you get into Ae?

Schlitze

everything gets old at some point - except ae

-- Arthur Schopenhauer

Lol

I'm also VERY new to ae... Became a fan of Clark around 2013 and got afx through an interview with Daedelus. Then I discovered they were both in a label called 'Warp' and were doing 'IDM'... It was just a matter of researching and eventually found ae and squarepusher.

Initially I prefered pusher's rapid fire drums and all the jazz references (which i was used to since the early teens) to amber, chiastic slide, Exai and confield (the last two of which i could not grasp VERY well) but was completely hooked to Krakow set (as soon as the YouTube bootleg was upped), thought I was in another dimension

Finished the discography a few months ago, now i'm going through live stuff (and THOSE soundboards)

Edited by amad

I saw Salad Fingers at some point in highschool and loved it. Firth prominently displayed the music credits at the end (BOC - Beware The Friendly Stranger) which led me to check out mhtrtc and geogaddi and I loved those albums. Firth's cartoons also had a lot of aphex twin in them so I checked him out and liked it, eventually checked out the warp records site (the old boxy one) and probably the first autechre track I heard was LCC which was their most recent album at the time.

I clicked through a bunch of their tracks and thought it was weird and didn't really like it but I checked out samples of a whole bunch of tracks and rpeg was probably the first track that really got its hooks into me (although I hated everything after the first minute or two at the time). Then I think it was clipper/eutow and from there I just gradually started clicking with more of their tracks.

So yeah, it's all thanks to some weird crazy flash animator posting his insanity onto newgrounds.

I like it when the red water comes out

I had downloaded many songs of AE in the 90's from limewire. I first heard them on a radio station in NY called WFMU. A dj named Clay had a great show where he would play a variety of IDM, Breakcore, Dub , Reggae, Techno and Minimal house and a bunch of other related genres. The show was called the Pounding System. So I had downloaded AE songs from hearing them on that show but I was never really aware of songs by title nor had I heard a full album yet. One night I got lost in NJ trying to get back to NY. I was with mt friend Karl who is a fanatical electronic music fan and had knowledge beyond mine in that music. We stopped at a best buy and ended up in the CD section Untilted had just come out. Karl suggested I buy it for the ride. I did and we listened to it the whole way home. Since then I have been hooked. I like all there albums but Untilted will always have a special place in my heart.

I first heard of Ae on a compilation I bought when I was in Paris around 2003, I think.

The track was Flutter on Radio Caroline vol.1.

Beautifully selected and mixed, marks my Renneissance in musical endeavor

plunged deep into the vast world of undiscovered musics and never looked back.

a happy story, just like everything connected with it.

I was an indie kid in the late 90's until Unkle's Psyence Fiction single-handedly turned me on to electronic music. Got into Aphex when Windowlicker was being hammered on the radio, and started buying a load of Warp stuff. I think the first Autechre track I heard was their Nightmares on Wax remix on the Warp 10th anniversary remix album. Didn't like it but nevertheless bought Amber on the strength of its cover art and became obsessed with it.

Over time I lost interest in the other Warp artists (I buy more psytrance than anything else these days) but Autechre just keep getting better and better the more I listen to them.

Leterel. Not sure what year, probably around 2006 I downloaded Tri Repeatae, Chiastic Slide and Confield.

As an Aphex fan this was the 1st track I heard that I connected too.

MTV showing "second bad vibel" around the time of "Come to daddy" and "Come my selector"...all three tracks were just so raw and industrial yet emotional and human and with an obvious passion/artistry behind them, unlike most of the rest.

Got everything i could then and still going.... hunting down CD's in "indie" record shops was great fun. seemed like a new cd was out every week!

Edited by phudoshin

Got into Aphex Twin through MTV Amped in the late 90s. Started to move away from the big beat sound I was previously into and got into Boards of Canada and Plaid. The first Autechre album I tried was Confield which was the newest at the time. Turned me right off and I didn't check them out again for a couple years because it was too weird for me (I now love the album).

First thing I think that clicked with me was the Nightmares on Wax remix they did which I heard on a compilation. From there I checked out their entire discography in chronological order and totally became obsessed. Chiastic Slide was the album that really sealed the deal for me.

Leterel. Not sure what year, probably around 2006 I downloaded Tri Repeatae, Chiastic Slide and Confield.

As an Aphex fan this was the 1st track I heard that I connected too.

dael was the first thing i heard from them because of youtube suggesting it, though clipper and c pach are my current faves from tri repetae

I heard LP5 first. It was summer '98 and i was riding on a bus to the White Sea.

Oops, i lied. It was '99. In summer '98 i just started to get into electronic music with help of AFX 'AB3', FSOL 'ISDN', Orbital 'In Sides', The Orb 'Orblivion' and Jonny L 'Sawtooth' etc. But in the next year's spring and summer i was completely overwhelmed with 'Come To Daddy' and 'LP5'.

MTV showing "second bad vibel" around the time of "Come to daddy" and "Come my selector"...all three tracks were just so raw and industrial yet emotional and human and with an obvious passion/artistry behind them, unlike most of the rest.

Got everything i could then and still going.... hunting down CD's in "indie" record shops was great fun. seemed like a new cd was out every week!

Yes, Come on my selector, apart from Gantz graf and Windowlicker this was also my pre-teen tv discovery and instant love :)

Fairly late to the game.

I randomly purchased draft 7.30 from HMV in Bracknell when it was released, it was the recommended dance album of the week (!)

I was already into Squarepusher and Aphex and knew a bit about 'chre but initially this album fucked with my head and I didn't really understand it. Took a while before it started to click and then

*hedaplode*

Heard their stuff in the early mid 90s but didn't seek them out. Got a "Nothing Changes" compliation CD from a magazine which contained Vose In and Corc. Been hooked since.

I just found the old TDK tape that i recorded LP5 onto back in the day, no track titles on the case which is very unlike me. guess what i filled up the remainder of side B with? Wap10 We Are Reasonable People. It goes from Freeman, Hardy Willis to Stop, Look, Listen then the tapes runs out, Tape rocks.

like many, I first found them via aphex / warp site. I didnt like Untilted at first listen, as fkd up as it sounds lol. it was years later, looking for info on max when I found the SOS article, that I got into them musics. but it was really Oversteps the album that blew my panties off

draft 7.30 ...

*hedaplode*

this is the album that opened it up for me.. suggesting fantastic sound worlds, with juicy percussion and bewildering textures (oily sludge coating the percussion on IV VV IV VV VIII). Xylin Room is all-time.. a weird, wooden printing mechanism. 2nd half of 6IE.CR is a beaut, and reniform puls is like some stealthy night mission.. getting progressively scattered and diffuse.

i remember WIRE magazine featured them on the cover around the time of its release. Sean Booth has a sort of bad ass expression, glint in his eye.. it like, augmented the music somehow, at the time. Fuck, reniform puls is dope as fuck.

It would have been around 1998 (I was 14) my older brother started hanging out with some guys who were evidently pretty onto it when it came to electronic music. Incunabula, Amber and especially Tri Rep soon became family favourites. Collectively as a family we were discovering the joys of electronic music... albums like Massive Attack Mezzanine, Air's Moon Safari and Moby's Play had made a big splash. Tri Rep was probably my dads favourite album at the time.

Cut to 1999 and I was at a record store with my brother and dad. I found a copy of an Autechre album, knowing nothing about it, and convinced my dad to buy it. That album was LP5. We went home and put it on, and all sat down to listen... my brother and I were blown away by previously unimaginable sounds, but that was officially my dads jumping off point. He couldn't even make it through the first track. I was utterly hooked, and worked my way through all of the albums and ep's. Confield was a huge WTF when it came out, and I spent hours scouring Kazaa and Soulseek for remixes and tracks I'd never heard before. Man, what a time it was!

i found out about ae in 2013. :^)

i had somehow found out about boc, then afx, and every once in a while some autechre videos would be recommended for me on youtube, so i searched autechre on there.

the very first ae track i heard was FLeure.

after seeing that Warp had uploaded all of Exai, i decided that "fuck it, lets listen to all of it" and stopped listening when i got to jatevee C (i was really weirded out, i think)

then i listened to Clipper and thought "yknow this music is actually pretty good"

and then i started listening to the rest of their discography, and i guess that's how i found out about autechre