IGNORED

How did you get into Ae?

Schlitze

I was in high school circa 2001, sitting in my best frineds room. after smoking a joint he puts on 'vi scose poise'. and i'm like lbUbP2t.gif

my jaw fell off and I had to pick it back up to ask "whhat is this?". I've never heard rhythm like that. He looked at me and laughed a little saying 'aw tek er'. Then puts on 'Rae' and I fell in love. like that.

I was in high school circa 2001, sitting in my best frineds room. after smoking a joint he puts on 'vi scose poise'. and i'm like lbUbP2t.gif

my jaw fell off and I had to pick it back up to ask "whhat is this?". I've never heard rhythm like that. He looked at me and laughed a little saying 'aw tek er'. Then puts on 'Rae' and I fell in love. like that.

Similar experience for me- Stephen G gave me some shrooms or a joint or something...and then threw on some Autechre.. I can't recall exactly which song, I think it may have been 'Slip' off of Amber and basically, that was it- I was hooked :wub:

Early 2000s got into BoC by way of K&D, dj krush, ninja tune, etc., and from what little info out there I found there was this other duo on the same label (Warp) that makes similar but far more mechanical music, yet still with a hiphop vibe / aesthetic underneath it all. Bought tri rep (++) as it came recommended though in the first year I had it probably played the album twice and the ep's disc once. Then slsk came along and got me curious as to what else they were capable of, downloafed Envane and since then have been hooked ((buying that and most other lps/eps since). LP5 was definitely also where it became obvious that these guys are not fucking around

I can easily be described as a 90s kid and mid 00s Radiohead-mad young adult who got into Autechre via their significant name drop by Thom Yorke. I had read all the available biographies, owned all the b-sides, all the DVDs, everything, and Thom appeared to have listened to them a lot in the late 90s, particularly around the LP5 release. Autechre among with others was name checked heavily in regards to Kid A, whether by himself or the superficial observations of critics. Why Autechre and not others is puzzling, but I think I saw the Amber cover very early on and that intrigued me to give a listen to the snippets. I purchased it off iTunes in early 2007 (shortly after turning 18, and not long before leaving the 'rents) and quite liked it, listening to it intermittently. Silverside was my favourite early on (oh dear). But it wasn't until the release of Quaristice (my first, although didn't hear about it until a few weeks after, so Oversteps was my first true long awaited Day 1) that I became a fully fledged fan, interested in their discography by and large. I instantly took to Quaristice, and being relatively fresh may have helped compared to a more seasoned ae expert. Around xmas 2009 I had one of those omg listening experiences to Confield, and it instantly became my favourite album. By early 2011 I was a Warp devotee and had a similarly intense overnight favourite experience with Untilted (I had owned both for 18 months at each respective point) and resultedly they had replaced Radiohead as my favourite music act (my tastes have obviously changed slightly since then with maturing).

So I have Thom Yorke (and Kid A reviews), Amber's cover and the Quaristice release to thank really. Then mindblowing experiences with Confield and Untilted cemented them as my favourite. I was too young to recall ae's mid 90s dalliance with mainstream attention, but the cambrian event years for the internet certainly guided me there in the end.

It was 1992 and I was 18, a friend of my dad's was into the Orb and he played me some (probably Ultraworld), anyway Warp had just released the first Ai comp and I about it because Alex P had a track on it. So The Egg and Crystel were my first Ae tracks, I remember loving the main melody in The Egg.

This was the start of my obsession with electronic music, it had mostly been chart crap up until I was 16. I bought anything and everything I could find that was electronic music (all the Ai releases, Aphex, Black Dog, FSOL, Orbital etc) and got everything by Ae up to Flutter. I liked Ae at this point but they didn't blow me away so I didn't bother with them again for many years, I went off on more of a techno and house route as that's what my mates were into, but by 2003 I was getting quite bored of those genres and monotonous 4/4 rhythms so was on the hunt for something more interesting. My brother-in-law got me the Gantz Graf EP with the DVD disc for Christmas in 02 or 03 (I didn't get it at all, sounded like random noise, I absolutely love it now) then I randomly played Incunabula again after many years and I loved it, so started buying and listening to everything they'd released in chronological order, only getting the next release once I'd (mostly) got my head around the last. So I would say Untilted was the first album of theirs I bought on release day as major fan.

So wish I'd been more into the braindance/electronia sounds in the 90's I was there on the periphery but never dived in, so much money/time wasted on house and techno. I feel my musical tastes were reborn in the early 2000s and I partly have Ae to thank for that.

EDIT: This is a great thread btw, nice to read how others became fans

Edited by BUNKUM

Getting into music as a teen, I made two purchases on the same day, Tri Repetae ++ and Endtroducing.....

I immediately favoured the latter and played it incessantly, yet in hindsight that must have only been a phase lasting 6 months.

I kept getting drawn back to TR++

Those sounds, the dystopian atmosphere, the minimalist artwork were pulling me in. My (terrible) attention span was the only thing stopping me from really getting into it. Slowly, though, I came around, not least because Draft 7.30 had come out a year later, and Theme From Sudden Roundabout was so overpoweringly SICK that I knew I had to keep digging. Despite its surface simplicity, listening to TR++ yielded 7-8 years later I found I was still hearing new things, which while typical of Autechre isn't a feature I associate with absolutely all of their work. That aside, all of their albums apart from Oversteps and Exai have needed a good 5+ years to 'bed in' properly.

So many kids here. WARP Artificial Intelligence Album. Was on a WARP trip already, but even more on The Prodigy. That had to stop. Ae changed anything.

So for me the roadmap was Acid House with Peter Ford as my hero, then Prodigy and Xl recordings etc. Then Warp came, LFO crushed the world. Today IDm, Thom, Shosta, this and that and quite a lot. Lifetime is too short.

Edited by Guest

I was about 13/14 maybe it was around 1995 and my dad was dating this girl who had awesome taste in music. She gave my dad a copy of Artificial Intelligence 2 on CD. Initially I was obsessed with Beaumont Hannant, Aphex etc. and got really into that stuff... I remember it was like that until around 2000, by way of Aphex I was now listening to The Prodigy, Nine Inch Nails etc. but I still hadn't really checked out Autechre, although I knew of them from AI2... I had a really dodgy hi-fi system at the time and I remember I was at a record store the day Peel Session 2 came out... I bought that 12" and listened.... Liked it but still wasn't obsessed... Fast forward to 2001 and Confield comes out, I bought it but just thought it was batshit crazy. I went over to my mates place (they were all big metalheads) getting drunk and hanging out, for a laugh I put on Confield thinking it would weird them all out.... For the next hour or so nobody said anything and we all just sat there losing our shit. I've been obsessed ever since, so have some of those metalheads!

I finally understand why ae gigs have to be completely dark. It's to facilitate all the booze and drugs. If it's really dark heavy use of those mind enhancing substances become legal. Nobodies sees shit anyway. And in order to really appreciate ae, you haf to be completely bonkers.

I finally understand why ae gigs have to be completely dark. It's to facilitate all the booze and drugs. If it's really dark heavy use of those mind enhancing substances become legal.

For this reason I wish they'd get invited to one of the small UK summer festivals like Noisily.

I guess my story's cool because it can be relived right now. You'll see what I mean.

This was 2002/2003. I was mad about Aphex Twin's Druqks at the time (that's still my favourite of his) and I wanted to find more music like that.

I found a website called 'Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music' (http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/)

While exploring it, I clicked 'Jungle' -- clicked 'IDM' (lower left corner) -- in the IDM section, I encountered Autechre in loop number 2, which is a loop from Acroyear2. The same loop is still there in the same place.

I was instantly crazy for it because I couldn't quite work it out - whether it had a start or end, or where those things were, or where the upbeats or downbeats were.

I went to Red Eye records here in Sydney, went to the electronic section, found a tab for Autechre and picked up the front CD to buy, which was the just-released Draft 7:30. That's probably still my favourite Autechre record today.

I think I first heard of them in about 2002. A friend of mine played me LP5 and to be honest the only track that made an impression was Rae. A few months down the line I was in the Reading HMV looking for some Aphex things and I saw Incunabula and I like the cover so I bought it. I think I listened to it once and wasn't that impressed so I left it and carried on listening BOC and Aphex. One night about a month or after that I took a big of shrooms, I was completely stratospheric having a blast so I thought I would try out listening to Incunabula again. From the first filter swept notes I was pretty hooked, one of the nicest drug experiences I ever had I think and that album was a perfect compliment to it.

Been a huge fan ever since, I've not always got everything though. I'm still a bit nonplussed by LP 5 and apart from Maphive 6.1 I don't like EP7 that much. Over time though most of their stuff has provided me with musical revelations, what more can you ask for really?

And in order to really appreciate ae, you haf to be completely bonkers.

No.

I guess my story's cool because it can be relived right now. You'll see what I mean.

This was 2002/2003. I was mad about Aphex Twin's Druqks at the time (that's still my favourite of his) and I wanted to find more music like that.

I found a website called 'Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music' (http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/)

While exploring it, I clicked 'Jungle' -- clicked 'IDM' (lower left corner) -- in the IDM section, I encountered Autechre in loop number 2, which is a loop from Acroyear2. The same loop is still there in the same place.

I was instantly crazy for it because I couldn't quite work it out - whether it had a start or end, or where those things were, or where the upbeats or downbeats were.

I went to Red Eye records here in Sydney, went to the electronic section, found a tab for Autechre and picked up the front CD to buy, which was the just-released Draft 7:30. That's probably still my favourite Autechre record today.

Oh! Of course, I almost forgot about that site! It had quite an influence on me!