IGNORED

New Luddism

sheatheman

i think TV is a bigger problem for me anyways. TV is something that, for a lot of people, just stays on all the time.. like a fireplace that provides background noise or something.

I fucking hate it when people do that. I don't understand why they have to have the television on when they aren't watching, it makes no sense and it's distracting.

If I find myself not watching it and it's on I turn on the radio instead or throw something on the stereo. Unless it's Bob's Burgers, that's become a default background noise show when I'm doing dishes or something like that.

Why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't you just not use Facebook that much? I don't use it at all, it's not hard. If you just have the messenger app on your phone you can pick up any PMs without having to ever look at the newsfeed/ wall/ timeline/ whateverthefuck it's called. EZ

I find it interesting to observe social networks. Facebook is the best tracking device ever built that people voluntarily descend into - other than smartphones. Everything in moderation, strive to be happy.

inject me with stem cells and nano bots and give my brain a memory chip.

i'm all good w/being ghost in the shell.

but am happy to unplug a few times a year and go wander or just stay unplugged and work on music or whatever.

i think TV is a bigger problem for me anyways. TV is something that, for a lot of people, just stays on all the time.. like a fireplace that provides background noise or something.

i guess internet addiction and game playing is a real thing but i think relationship to all that is very different for different generations and personality types.

it's going to be an interesting few decades ahead.

Once you have proprietary software and patented hardware in you, that is the end. They will own you, and you will no longer be an independent agent. This will be the easiest way to achieve the radical reduction in human population btw, the day of the lemmings, [-; ... would be an humorous way to carry it out, but they'd more likely get people to put themselves on the trucks to be sent to the incinerators all whilst thinking that they are currently doing whatever they normally do. And then the only people left will be folks like me and the sheath. And a few billionaires lording it up in their boring way somewhere.

facefuck, honestly

i did a spoof account for my dog which got raped by an ex's hate mail, after that it flooded with people i grew up with who i have no desire whatsoever to interact with so that was that really

something like Acid House could never happen now because of the influence of facefuck and apathy, because people expect it all to be mapped out for them b4 committing to actual action, instead of jumping in and actually doing something in real life

one for Schlitze:

#DiY

facefuck, honestly

i did a spoof account for my dog which got raped by an ex's hate mail, after that it flooded with people i grew up with who i have no desire whatsoever to interact with so that was that really

something like Acid House could never happen now because of the influence of facefuck and apathy, because people expect it all to be mapped out for them b4 committing to actual action, instead of jumping in and actually doing something in real life

one for Schlitze:

#DiY

Do you have the thing there that we have here of people standing around at gigs, like neatly pressed together, well ordered zombies, some with their phones up videoing. The neatly pressed together thing is annoying cause when people were actually dancing it was easier to use the chaotic motions to push yourself closer to the stage. Also, kids these days are so much taller, so you can't see shit if nobody's moving, and i'm not short. If i was to hazard a guess *and you know that i'm not shy at ye olde speculating*, i would say that the anticipation of the reaction to their having been able to say that they attended an event on social media, is of greater import in their minds than living in the moment that the event presents. So they cannot enjoy the here and now as they live for this future buzz or hit.

fucking weirdos, i can't wait till the next generation tells them they all suck and just gets on with fucking off wall street, building things with 3D printers and setting up a super secure encrypted open source everything, and enjoying joy again.

facefuck, honestly

one for Schlitze:

#DiY

Do you have the thing there that we have here of people standing around at gigs, like neatly pressed together, well ordered zombies, some with their phones up videoing. The neatly pressed together thing is annoying cause when people were actually dancing it was easier to use the chaotic motions to push yourself closer to the stage. Also, kids these days are so much taller, so you can't see shit if nobody's moving, and i'm not short. If i was to hazard a guess *and you know that i'm not shy at ye olde speculating*, i would say that the anticipation of the reaction to their having been able to say that they attended an event on social media, is of greater import in their minds than living in the moment that the event presents. So they cannot enjoy the here and now as they live for this future buzz or hit.

this is the new norm,,,,, from parent's sports days to live concerts to family gatherings - phone out like a fuckin zombie taking pictures you'll maybe flick through once or twice b4 wanging them up on *insert timewasting wank platform here & then forgetting any of these moments were actually your short fleeting lives

this is why i cherish actual physical photo albums, not for validation of past life, but because they create a sentimentality the digital forgetmenots cant reach

facefuck, honestly

one for Schlitze:

#DiY

this is the new norm,,,,, from parent's sports days to live concerts to family gatherings - phone out like a fuckin zombie taking pictures you'll maybe flick through once or twice b4 wanging them up on *insert timewasting wank platform here & then forgetting any of these moments were actually your short fleeting lives

this is why i cherish actual physical photo albums, not for validation of past life, but because they create a sentimentality the digital forgetmenots cant reach

I love looking through my folks and in-laws old photos. So much more "life caught unawares" moments in film - it's ironically more telling about day to day life than most photos now. My favorite ones are just like random pics of someone in the kitchen or puttering around in a garage, or even better photos taken by accident from weird angles and/or of just random furniture or yards, etc.

I actually still try to take pics as if I was going to develop it later or just without any effort to make everyone pay attention. I certainly don't take photos needlessly anymore - when my wife and i first got a decent digital camera I went nuts. The photo album I posted of one cruise in 2009 is like 10x bigger and more redundant than the photos I posted of our trips a year ago.

My next goal is to just start physically printing some of my pics instead of just backing up all my unsorted stuff on my hard-drives.

In defence of the photo taking obsessive (not the equipment geek, that's a different thing, and really i've found it's less about the image itself and more the method and means of taking it). (note that i am not currently as the lens on my camera phone has some clouding on it at the moem, so i'm kind of hit pause on the taking a few shots whilst on my daily walk thing, i also don't upload anything to social media, and rarely here).

When i take a lot of photos it's for the purpose of getting a decent picture, playing with framing and focus and lighting and 99.99% of the time the subject is not human. So i would say that being obsessive about taking photo's in and of itself is not bad, if there is a reasonable and meritorious purpose behind this madness. This isn't why people are taking lots of photos though and when i was bothering with faceblart and the like, most of the photo's one would see held not a skerrick of artistic merit. The lumps posting that plate of food, or cup of coffee, might as well just taken one photo rather than many, or even just used a placeholder that said, "i'm drinking coffee now, mmm" ... "yum char, mmm" ... "man with ball run me happy, woo, mmm".

Some of these plebians may be attempting to justify their actions by claiming to be a photo obsessive, but i view their obsession the way a long time visitor to comic conventions would see a fellow attendee who has come dressed in an age of ultron shirt that doesn't visit the artist booths but instead lines up for the movie panels. It's phoney, a shallow obsession and nothing good will come of it.

nwae, i kind of got really tired of the purposeless of my post some way through it, so i won't blame anyone if they didn't get past the first line, [-;

"Look at the resolution on your child! It's totally HD"... I always like that one.

here you watch it - and then you read all the comments and they're like OH MY GAAAAAAWWWWDDDDD

"they are dancing for no one"

I love his vague almost valley-girl-esque impersonation of godawful people - it's so versatile and he's somehow managed to lampoon both 20-something hipsters and middle aged soccer moms with the same goofy voice

LCK doesn't have a solution though. i'm certain his greatest and final comedy act will be to commit suicide on stage

gg allin promised that and all we got was him stumbling in the streets of NYC naked before he shot up and died

i think LCK's appeal to me is largely because he's been, at least as far as i know, fairly apolitical...or just blunt but without trying to be exclusive. it's hard to explain but I even when he gets really edgy he never seems to single people out. like if david cross rips on the tea party he flat out says it, if louis cks hits on the shit the tea party often espouses, he never flat-out says it, you just kind of figure it out. so many other comedians come out with their affiliations or direct opinions but he's always managed to channel his sociopolitical commentary in a way that doesn't scream "im a liberal" even though I assume he is to a fair degree

• 4 months later...

LCK doesn't have a solution though. i'm certain his greatest and final comedy act will be to commit suicide on stage

gg allin promised that and all we got was him stumbling in the streets of NYC naked before he shot up and died

i think LCK's appeal to me is largely because he's been, at least as far as i know, fairly apolitical...or just blunt but without trying to be exclusive. it's hard to explain but I even when he gets really edgy he never seems to single people out. like if david cross rips on the tea party he flat out says it, if louis cks hits on the shit the tea party often espouses, he never flat-out says it, you just kind of figure it out. so many other comedians come out with their affiliations or direct opinions but he's always managed to channel his sociopolitical commentary in a way that doesn't scream "im a liberal" even though I assume he is to a fair degree

his wtf podcast episode is fairly scintillating

• 1 year later...

I have come to the point where I am convinced that a new luddism is necessary. There needs to be a louder voice questioning what the drive towards technological development is costing us as a species.

Edited by Salvatorin

I have come to the point where I am convinced that a new luddism is necessary. There needs to be a louder voice questioning what the drive towards technological development is costing us as a species.

fast forward 2 years and content is worse than ever and i am more addicted than ever to the worst content ever. sad stuff. having a kid and raising him these past 18-19 months has made me realize just how hard it is to resist our species dark trend toward technological automation.

we really are caught in an ocean. we can say we are woke but in reality we are just clinging to the plastic flotilla.

i mean, where can we actually go? because physically we can't live without it. you give an indian slum family $$$ and the first thing they will do is wire themselves up for internet.

back before i had this job in contracting (project manager), and back before my son was born, i thought i had a better handle on it. i walked everywhere and ate minimally and had a pretty clear head for a long time.

now i just watch gordon ramsay clips passively with my eyes throbbing, and i drive 120 miles a day.