IGNORED

Making changes at Warp Records

fumi

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And tbh Warp would of not really been on my radar if they hadn't been for their decision to do the Artificial Intelligence series. Early Warp is mediocre house imho (LFO the exception): sabres of paradise, tricky disco, nightmares on wax, etc. Warp 20 comp is stronger than the Warp 10, or at least aged better. Born Ruffians are about the only signing I really never liked - as for all the other indie bands keep in mind that other labels like 4AD have done this for years. Labels like Planet Mu and Ninja Tune have survived with deliberate moves toward certain genres (they dropped breakcore and jazzy hip-hop for future bass and footwork). Niche labels like Rephlex are either defunct or specifically stuck to 12" over LPs as a focus (R&S is a good example). Iffy stuff like the Future Brown release isn't something Warp should really catch flack for - it could of easily been another label pushing it or another MOR electronic group signed instead.

The legacy of Warp has always been the IDM canon.

I agree with all this except the part about Warp20 being better - that "recreated" compilation is terrible, born ruffians, diamond watch wrists, some vocal cover of cichlisuite, etc. The two-disc 10+3 remixes is miles better and very much idm canon

Why is prefuse being lumped in with that lot?? Coincidentally I listened to one word extinguisher for the first time in a few years last week and it's still so good. If anything he was the last truly great warp signing. Sad that he got the boot

Yeah, One Word was/is still great, though I'd argue that the real sad thing was how hard he fell off (which lead to being booted). That stuff he put out on another label this year was pretty bad too.

And tbh Warp would of not really been on my radar if they hadn't been for their decision to do the Artificial Intelligence series. Early Warp is mediocre house imho (LFO the exception): sabres of paradise, tricky disco, nightmares on wax, etc. Warp 20 comp is stronger than the Warp 10, or at least aged better. Born Ruffians are about the only signing I really never liked - as for all the other indie bands keep in mind that other labels like 4AD have done this for years. Labels like Planet Mu and Ninja Tune have survived with deliberate moves toward certain genres (they dropped breakcore and jazzy hip-hop for future bass and footwork). Niche labels like Rephlex are either defunct or specifically stuck to 12" over LPs as a focus (R&S is a good example). Iffy stuff like the Future Brown release isn't something Warp should really catch flack for - it could of easily been another label pushing it or another MOR electronic group signed instead.

The legacy of Warp has always been the IDM canon.

I agree with all this except the part about Warp20 being better - that "recreated" compilation is terrible, born ruffians, diamond watch wrists, some vocal cover of cichlisuite, etc. The two-disc 10+3 remixes is miles better and very much idm canon

Yeah I was like "why did I type that" but I know it stemmed from my thought that the first 10 years of Warp were just as strong as the next 10 years. I stand by that though I didn't say articulate it earlier. As far as the actual comps go I would concede that Warp 10 is indeed better.

I would sign Death Grips and probably VHS Head. Then I'd sign BADBADNOTGOOD. I dunno.

Thank god you aren't in charge of Warp, then.

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/5869815/new-signings-morrissey-signs-with-harvest-records-warp-music-publishing

Lol what now bitch

I would sign Death Grips and probably VHS Head. Then I'd sign BADBADNOTGOOD. I dunno.

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/5869815/new-signings-morrissey-signs-with-harvest-records-warp-music-publishing

Lol what now bitch

Just means whoever is signing acts at warp has absolutely shit taste in music? (last few years have been absolute SHIT. Planetmu and other record labels are signing far, far better acts...) They probably gargle with diarrhea every morning actually, that's how shitty their taste in music is.

But we already knew that.

Besides, that's a 2014 post and we've seen how many deathquiffs records from warp? Somewhere between 0 and 0? huh.. checks 2015 releases... hmm.. no warp records? Wait what now bitch?

Lol what now bitch

Just means whoever is signing acts at warp has absolutely shit taste in music? (last few years have been absolute SHIT. Planetmu and other record labels are signing far, far better acts...) They probably gargle with diarrhea every morning actually, that's how shitty their taste in music is.

But we already knew that.

Besides, that's a 2014 post and we've seen how many deathquiffs records from warp? Somewhere between 0 and 0? huh.. checks 2015 releases... hmm.. no warp records? Wait what now bitch?

Why ado you guys still have this debate? It is a business, but they still put out some of your favorite acts. How loyal they've been to Aphex, Autechre, BoC. Oneohtrix is a good example as well. They haven't lost sight as much as you think. Could they have made some better choices instead of the more recents acts they've signed? We can all probably agree on several, but would it really be better to curate it to your fantasies and lay off half the company?

i'm happy warp survives. they have to do stuff to stay current or whatever (guitar bands of 10-12 years ago ugh).. they can't just rely on all our favs to fill the coffers every year and sustain everything.

but i imagine it must be tough to find the next person doing interesting electronic music after you've heard autechre and aphex and squarepusher and plaid and LFO and BoC for 25 years. i have no idea what it's like to be in their shoes. but as said.. i'm happy they survive to keep releasing autechre music and aphex.. I wonder if there's an LFO archive somewhere?

Could they have made some better choices instead of the more recents acts they've signed?

Yes. A down syndrome cat could have made better choices regarding the recently signed acts.

We can all probably agree on several, but would it really be better to curate it to your fantasies and lay off half the company?

Yes please, lay off the half of the company that is making worse decisions than down syndrome kitties would make.

Edit: also please warp hire some down syndrome kitties... they will make better decisions than your current A/R team, plus you can pay them a fair wage and you'll get a tax break since they're diversity hires. Overall win win win

Don't you realize how utterly retarded and down syndromey it is that Warp doesn't cater to my exact personal tastes. If I were head of Warp I'd only release the music that I like. I don't get how fucking retarded you'd have to be to release music that I don't like. I mean seriously

I'd also release a CHATMM 1-14 vinyl boxset, strictly limited to 120000 copies

Lol what now bitch

I was aware of this, but fortunately Warp didn't keep them for very long and didn't actually release anything by them. I was assuming that you meant you would try to get Death Grips back on Warp, which would be an even worse decision than signing them in the first place was.

Could they have made some better choices instead of the more recents acts they've signed?

Yes. A down syndrome cat could have made better choices regarding the recently signed acts.

We can all probably agree on several, but would it really be better to curate it to your fantasies and lay off half the company?

Yes please, lay off the half of the company that is making worse decisions than down syndrome kitties would make.

Edit: also please warp hire some down syndrome kitties... they will make better decisions than your current A/R team, plus you can pay them a fair wage and you'll get a tax break since they're diversity hires. Overall win win win

I was drunk last night sorry guys

anK7pKz_700b.jpg

I don't think warp has gone to shit, they still release my favorite music overall.

Planetmu has made the best signings over the last several years (in my opinion of course).

As a business Warp are probably just diversifying their acts to make sure they can afford to pay their mainstays, the aphexes and autechres etc.

It makes sense but it just kind of sucks they've thrown their mission statement to the side is all.

just fill out the surveys that warp sends out, they use that data to change their roster as well as other things such as branding and customer service. that's the best way to vote for what you would like warp records to do next. in fact, it's the only way things get done there.

just fill out the surveys that warp sends out, they use that data to change their roster as well as other things such as branding and customer service. that's the best way to vote for what you would like warp records to do next. in fact, it's the only way things get done there.

I have never received a warp survey in my life despite buying from them for around a decade or so.

Are you joking or serious?

I was drunk last night sorry guys

anK7pKz_700b.jpg

I don't think warp has gone to shit, they still release my favorite music overall.

Planetmu has made the best signings over the last several years (in my opinion of course).

As a business Warp are probably just diversifying their acts to make sure they can afford to pay their mainstays, the aphexes and autechres etc.

It makes sense but it just kind of sucks they've thrown their mission statement to the side is all.

It's okay I mostly post here when I'm drunk and sometimes contraversial to instigate weird discussion for entertainments

Archived