IGNORED

Touched Music For Macmillan Cancer Support Presents Covert.

Touched Music

Once again, a solid compilation from Touched--thanks so much for this. I adore almost every track on here. The only one that kinda bugs me (although it's still okay taken on its own terms) is the one that's trying obviously so hard to be mistaken for BOC. Not really a fan of that strategy. Even the track title is so obvious it hurts.

Yeah. That and the naming convention used on track 1 ( Borg_Acid160bpm ) is such an obvious attempt to pass at trying to come across as being Aphex.

Fortunately it's a solid album, and presumably for a good cause. Anyone got any info on the macmillan foundation? How transparent are they and where does the money go? Not trying to come across as a dickhead but unfortunately you have to be skeptical even with charities these days.

I do recall a comment on Richard's SC from someone basically calling him an asshole for not releasing one of his tracks on their comp (I think it was a Touched representative, but I don't have a screen cap of said comment so don't hold me to that). Then while browsing Twoism someone posted this:

mLbvb34.png

after a representative of the site shot down the BoC rumors a guy who appeared to be a part of Touched responded with

Ok time i better say something, all the money that comes in for the touched albums go here

http://www.justgiving.com/Touched-Music

i did never say that Boards of Canada were 100% on this album, it was the few people that i sent the album to said that tracks sounded like boards of canada and aphex and so on, so the rumour mill started and i went with it, the point of covert is that you don’t know who the artists are and that it was ment to be 100% about the music and the cause, they are the 2 most important bits.

i may have got carried away with the rumours my self as all i wanted to do was raises money for the Charity.

what more do you want me to say? sorry if its pissed any of you off but all I’m trying to do is a good thing and i think the album is great.

I don't know. Maybe dude is genuinely just trying to generate more interest and increase sales (donations). If so, that's cool. Just try not to be a sanctimonious douche about it, and maybe ease up a bit on the imposter stuff (unless BoC and Aphex are cool with it).

All things considered it's a really good listen, and the Touched II comp was awesome is well. Props to those involved, just don't bash on those that aren't.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh. I'm coming across as cynical.

This is a really nice album regardless of whatever trickery may or may not be afoot.

Judging by the username and post, I'm pretty sure that that quote of explanation and apology from twoism you quoted in your previous post is from the WATMM member Norvum, who started this thread here.

I agree with your resolution about the album. Some fans were going as far as to say that the album should be boycotted due to lying about BoC being on the album. Of coarse people will continue to do and think what they want. And who the hell am I to order them to do otherwise? And although unappreciated, that level of dishonesty in promotion is not enough reason for me to boycott an album I highly enjoy. Especially if the funds involved are not piling money into the pockets of the liar. And I believe he's genuinely trying to do something positive here. But, partially with the aid of alcohol, went a bit overboard with promotion techniques.

You do understand this is a quote from someone else, not from the guy behind Touched? I personally haven't seen Touched confirming any artist on this so far.

This is a fantastic compilation imo and I couldn't care less who are on it or who are not. Good music is good music, no matter which name is attached - which might be the whole point of this.

You do understand this is a quote from someone else, not from the guy behind Touched?

the quote is by the guy behind the compilation shared by the official touched website

You do understand this is a quote from someone else, not from the guy behind Touched?

the quote is by the guy behind the compilation shared by the official touched website

It is posted by the guy who is behind the compilation, but it says "words by Alexander Shum" - who is not affiliated with Touched as far as i know

It is posted by the guy who is behind the compilation, but it says "words by Alexander Shum" - who is not affiliated with Touched as far as i know

jonas is right, it's just a quotation, that's all

I think the way this compilation was promoted is based on seriously poor judgment, and it does a severe disservice to all involved parties:

a) It hurts the reputation of Touched Music itself, by abusing and consequently losing the trust of its audience.

b) Which again hurts the actual charity in the long run, many potential buyers will probably refrain from supporting the next time around.

c) It hurts the contributing artists, by implicitly expressing a distrust in the quality of the actual content. The subtext here is that these artists are a poor man's substitute for the real thing.

d) It misleads the audience and lures them into buying something they aren't being delivered.

I think the way this compilation was promoted is based on seriously poor judgment, and it does a severe disservice to all involved parties:

a) It hurts the reputation of Touched Music itself, by abusing and consequently losing the trust of its audience.

b) Which again hurts the actual charity in the long run, many potential buyers will probably refrain from supporting the next time around.

c) It hurts the contributing artists, by implicitly expressing a distrust in the quality of the actual content. The subtext here is that these artists are a poor man's substitute for the real thing.

d) It misleads the audience and lures them into buying something they aren't being delivered.

lol

Seriously?

Its called "covert" and its a bunch of tracks.

Origins unknown.

But it or don't buy it, your choice.

lol

Seriously?

Origins unknown.

^This. It's really as simple as that! It's supposed to be anonymous to put all the focus on the music and the cause, like he said. You can stream it for free even! So buy it if you want, or don't! No need to rip apart the guy. Just move on if you're not interested.

lol

Seriously?

Origins unknown.

^This. It's really as simple as that! It's supposed to be anonymous to put all the focus on the music and the cause, like he said. You can stream it for free even! So buy it if you want, or don't! No need to rip apart the guy. Just move on if you're not interested.

+1

Can't get over what a great release this is, I'm loving every track and had this on repeat for the last few days. I am looking forward to my physical copy arriving!

This is to benefit cancer research, let's not lose sight of that.

Well it's more Macmillan focuses on providing cancer care, support and helping with financial needs, rather than research into preventions and cures. But part of that goes towards financing research into better ways to care and look after people affected by it.

Guest Chesney

Hold on, is that FB post by Mr Shum the main place where it is stated that afx and BoC contrilbuted. Maybe the person who highlighted the line in blue should have highlighted the few words before as that totally changed the statement. "So I would be surprised at all to find that etc etc"

That means that if someone told him they were on the comp then he wouldn't be surprised as the comp has things that could be on there.

Is this case closed or am I missing something else that was said.

Still want a copy innit

This is to benefit cancer research, let's not lose sight of that.

Well it's more Macmillan focuses on providing cancer care, support and helping with financial needs, rather than research into preventions and cures. But part of that goes towards financing research into better ways to care and look after people affected by it.

I stand corrected, this is to support Macmillan.

Let's just say this is mostly a lesson for Touched, don't make this bigger than it is, this was obviously not his intention. This whole thing is nothing compared to the good work this guy does in his freetime, for charity. And good tunes.

Anyway, I really like Xto9, Oebientiq, iDepth Alter (the Plaid remix track) and the two Autechre suspects (#3 and #8) most.

i'm just wondering if the art is really tdr. as i've still not seen them mention it anywhere. i scooped a cd. they've had rad rosters in the past. money goes to a good cause.

Archived