IGNORED

Introducing the MIDM Database, an online repository for IDM MIDI Files

slate

Hey guys! For the last couple of months I have collected and curated lots IDM MIDIs from a variety of sources and locations, hosting them all on a website with a bunch of recreations and links to the MIDI file downloads. I plan to do the 4 big IDM acts, Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, Autechre and Squarepusher. Due to the abundance of Aphex Twin MIDI files, I have finished that section and am ready to release it while working on the other artists, as well as constant aesthetic overhauls and improvements. It's a very basic early version at the moment, but I hope this grows into a project that really acts as a legitimate resource in dissecting the music that we all love, and to sate the curiosity and desire of anybody that wants to know what goes into writing and composing some of the greatest tunes in Electronic Music.

The site is split into the albums, and while a lot of these files you may already have, there are many exclusive MIDIs to be downloaded, such as the start of "I'm Self Employed", "Girl Boy Song" and the very fresh "Umil-25" Lead and Bass. I have a dedicated person working on creating MIDIs of full tracks, he made the Syro and Soundcloud MIDIs that were posted on Reddit and discussed on the Richard (MIDI) James thread earlier this week, aswell as our very own Scarbo who contributed some A+ piano MIDIs to this site. I will constantly be adding them as I receive or make them, and if you have any tracks, MIDIs, ideas or bugs you have discovered, you can send it in with an email link on the artist home page. Thank you for your attention, and I hope you enjoy the site.

http://www.midm-database.co.uk/

great!

Cheers! I forgot to say in my opening post that you can request any tracks either here or in an email to me, aswell as this there are still many more MIDI's that I still have to upload, so check back regularly. :)

What Autechre midi's were you thinking of? I feel like their so into sound design it doesn't really matter what their midi files were

LP5 is a great contender for analyzing MIDIs, I have already got the bassline of Acroyear and some of the bassline's of Rae. Tri Repetae, Chiastic Slide, Amber and Incanubula are also highly melodic, the melody of Chichli is so awe-inspiring that I had to work it out straight away.

Oh cool, and I just remembered the Rae chords.

Are you doing this all by ear?

I go to Melodyne first, and usually that has everything you can need, it's only when you are confronted by subdued melodies and quieter bits that you have to use your initiative. That's just me though, the majority of these MIDIs are done by Sebastian, who made all of the MIDI's posted on Reddit and is a monster at doing this all by ear.

please get Amber's Slip :0

You just kicked off the Autechre section, I did the first 40 seconds as that melody repeats throughout, the rest of the track is not beyond doing though, but will take more time. When you download the MIDI you will have to speed it up to 140BPM for it to sound correct. :)

This is cool, I'm especially looking forward to downloading the Boards of Canada MIDI files. Also, would be interesting if someone did music theory and/or statistical analysis of the MIDI files to identify scales, repeated motifs and music theory tricks that these artists use.

Update, I've added a bunch more MIDIs and a promised Rushup Edge section. It's really the holy grail, so many complex and subdued melodies, but completely possible and I've already had a stab at Synthacon, Last Rushup and Bank 12.

These are the ones added:

>Beetles

>Nanou (New Windowlicker section)

>Red Calx

>Come to Daddy Pappy Mix (Main Synth Line)

>To Cure a Weakling Child (Bassline)

Enjoy! :)

btw it says come to daddy 'synth line' - am I crazy for thinking that's actually a guitar?

Rich using a real instrument? Blasphemy! If you are confident I will change it, but I do remember a thread here ages ago talking about Come to Daddy and how some people found some synths that sounded similar...

@o00o: Cheers! Will add it when I do the BoC section, MHTRTC is definitely the album I will want to hit first.

btw it says come to daddy 'synth line' - am I crazy for thinking that's actually a guitar?

Rich using a real instrument? Blasphemy! If you are confident I will change it, but I do remember a thread here ages ago talking about Come to Daddy and how some people found some synths that sounded similar...

@o00o: Cheers! Will add it when I do the BoC section, MHTRTC is definitely the album I will want to hit first.

Ask the boc cover guys on YouTube they must have a lot of notation

• 2 weeks later...

Richard has been using 'real instruments' in his music since the start... sampled (aka the violin strings in Girl/Boy), but still real instruments - he's even mentioned in interviews where he'll play a few chords on an instrument and sample it to build into songs...

Can't wait for the MIDI of BOC's Magic Window :emotawesomepm9:

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived