IGNORED

most obscure alien electronic music

schafseckel

I have not listened to any of the recs yet but why I have this feeling that it is going to be an underproduced-generic-unimaginative-ambient-modular-noise-obscure-only-to-be-obsucre kind of stuff? I tried listening to some "alien" music before and it always felt so lame and amateurish compared to AE or AFX. I would like to be mistaken in my prejudice.

Low Res' hilarious Approximate Love Boat (Mistaken Alien Appropriations of Earth Music)'s concept fits the bill:

Finally, after ages of searching for a coherent signal amid the omnipresent noise of space, a startling image appeared on the screen, complete with coordinates indicating the exact point of origin. Three words only, their meaning indecipherable, yet clearly a product of intention and not some deceptive coincidental geometry as had so often proven disappointing in the past. Three words, 'The Love Boat', and then a lapse to the same noise which had filled the Lomaxians' displays for generations. But the coordinates were there, and though this planet, "The Love Boat", was very, very distant, it was calculated that an expedition could reach there within one-third of a lifespan. A team of musicologists and engineers was dispatched to collect and classify the musical assets of this planet in their entirety. More mundane data would perhaps be taken on subsequent expeditions.

The expedition was extremely successful, collecting the entire recorded output of the 'Love Boat' planet, and the crew reversed their course for the long journey home.
Disaster struck somewhere near the midpoint of the return trip. While performing some preliminary analyses, a series of erroneous commands was entered into the system causing all of the painstakingly gathered data to be irretrievably deleted.
Having already reported success and their intention to return home, the crew knew that grave consequences were inevitable. So they set about to recreate the wondrous musics they had heard at "The Love Boat" with the technologies available to them on board the space craft in hopes of concealing this very costly error. From memory, the musicologists did what they could, knowing that only a crude approximation would be possible, but retaining hope that their superiors would be convinced of the work's authenticity.
Bandcamp here.
  • Like 1

atomhead's netlable entity.be has some free downloads for a lot of music in this style, definitely something you should check out sometime (:

will do, thanks

I have not listened to any of the recs yet but why I have this feeling that it is going to be an underproduced-generic-unimaginative-ambient-modular-noise-obscure-only-to-be-obsucre kind of stuff? I tried listening to some "alien" music before and it always felt so lame and amateurish compared to AE or AFX. I would like to be mistaken in my prejudice.

there's some of that for sure, but there's been a few gems posted imo.

Low Res' hilarious Approximate Love Boat (Mistaken Alien Appropriations of Earth Music)'s concept fits the bill:

Bandcamp here.

some of that is pretty nice, interesting

atomhead's netlable entity.be has some free downloads for a lot of music in this style, definitely something you should check out sometime (:

Entity is brilliant. I can't believe I forgot to mention it. There's an abundance of both beats and ambient pieces from the weirdest and darkest spaces and really high quality pretty much consistently. OP should go through the whole catalog basically :)

Edited by coax

there's some of that for sure, but there's been a few gems posted imo.

Nice. What should I try?

[youtubehd]AYBLp7GUglU[/youtubehd]

oh damn this one hit me right in the nuts, so awesome

Seconded, good shit, very Tourian...

@OP: Check out Bernard Parmegiani - De natura sonorum / La création du monde or some Roland Kayn.

lol, you even manage to be a negative nancy before you even listened to any of the links. Jev's gonna Jev.

ur mum is lame and amateurish m8

wow

I'll be honest I specificly clicked on this post to have a good old cynical laugh, but instead I was blown away and smiling from ear to ear

very good mr jackson, very good indeed, first couple of tracks are pure extraterrestial gold

Edited by beerwolf

ur mum is lame and amateurish m8

Oh yeah, you wouldn't tell me that in person would you? :-)

lol, you even manage to be a negative nancy before you even listened to any of the links. Jev's gonna Jev.

I know man, I just cannot help it. It's just an experience I have. I truly meant the part "I would like to be mistaken in my prejudice".

I am affraid of wasting my time listening to bad stuff. My ADHD makes concentrating on unrewarding music very expensive and deppressing.

So I skimmed through "Joel Vandroogenbroeck - Dark Plasma" and it was exactly what I was afraid of. A completely linear background ambient music without much composition and absolutely without surprises of any kind. Good for a film but not really for careful headphone listening. No rewarding moments. Should I check something else in this thread? I would like something of "Osla for n" quality. A good composition that leads somewhere and surprises you with dynamics. Anything like that in here?

Should I check something else in this thread?

From what I've listened to so far I really enjoyed auxien's suggestion.It's kinda Richard Deviney so if you don't like RD you probably won't like this either.

Very nice sound design moments in those tracks. Composition in the context of tracks - not so good (so far).

wow

I'll be honest I specificly clicked on this post to have a good old cynical laugh, but instead I was blown away and smiling from ear to ear

very good mr jackson, very good indeed, first couple of tracks are pure extraterrestial gold

really? not having a laugh?

that's great, really glad you enjoyed it! :)

Should I check something else in this thread?

From what I've listened to so far I really enjoyed auxien's suggestion.It's kinda Richard Deviney so if you don't like RD you probably won't like this either.

Very nice sound design moments in those tracks. Composition in the context of tracks - not so good (so far).

Second half of that album is better than the first, IMO. Couldn't point out a track in particular because they often blend together in composition or in my mind as I'm listening.

sent using magic space waves

So I skimmed through "Joel Vandroogenbroeck - Dark Plasma" and it was exactly what I was afraid of. A completely linear background ambient music without much composition and absolutely without surprises of any kind. Good for a film but not really for careful headphone listening. No rewarding moments. Should I check something else in this thread? I would like something of "Osla for n" quality. A good composition that leads somewhere and surprises you with dynamics. Anything like that in here?

It's linear but I don't understand the negative 'attitude'. To me it has an organic 'old' sound, which makes a good atmosphere that isn't as prevalent in todays similar music. Second I would argue at least the elements are great, one could argue about the whole composition but, it's not easy to get all the elements right and the balance right like that. I was surprised when I heard it the first time and been digging it since. There is also movement all through but above all it just sounds great to me

Edited by coax

some ace bits these ears aint caught b4 specifically the Joel Vandroogenbroeck - Dark Plasma track, theres a lot more going on there than just random static, gonna have to spend some coin on that, so cheers for posting (Spiral??) and Charles Hodges too, fuck me wtf is THAT all about?

love things i could never imagine conjuring personally to experience what other minds & machine create, especially on that level of out-there

would add Lawrence English's - Inside From Above, but coont find a link soz

summat w/beats? RHK's 'Reality Net, complete w/dodgy orig mtv chill-out vid graphics,,,,,, takes a min to hit its stride,,,,,, classic Kirk, Sheffield forever

more alien funk from Peaking Lights (dodgy vid doe)