IGNORED

most obscure alien electronic music

schafseckel

summat w/beats? RHK's 'Reality Net, complete w/dodgy orig mtv chill-out vid graphics,,,,,, takes a min to hit its stride,,,,,, classic Kirk, Sheffield forever

this is lush, more like this?

So I skimmed through "Joel Vandroogenbroeck - Dark Plasma" and it was exactly what I was afraid of. A completely linear background ambient music without much composition and absolutely without surprises of any kind. Good for a film but not really for careful headphone listening. No rewarding moments. Should I check something else in this thread? I would like something of "Osla for n" quality. A good composition that leads somewhere and surprises you with dynamics. Anything like that in here?

That piece was composed in 1980, not 2015. If we approached everything with this toxic mentality then a lot of pioneering electronic music (i.e., Pierre Schaeffer, or Brian Eno's ambient pieces) will nowadays sound 'lame', 'inadequate', 'dull' or what have you. You need to take into account the mindset of that epoch, as well as any technological limitations.

summat w/beats? RHK's 'Reality Net, complete w/dodgy orig mtv chill-out vid graphics,,,,,, takes a min to hit its stride,,,,,, classic Kirk, Sheffield forever

I don't know much about RHK but it reminds me a lot of both early Plastikman and B12. Right between them on the minimalism spectrum.

So I skimmed through "Joel Vandroogenbroeck - Dark Plasma" and it was exactly what I was afraid of. A completely linear background ambient music without much composition and absolutely without surprises of any kind. Good for a film but not really for careful headphone listening. No rewarding moments. Should I check something else in this thread? I would like something of "Osla for n" quality. A good composition that leads somewhere and surprises you with dynamics. Anything like that in here?

That piece was composed in 1980

a hidden gem.... i'm just grateful somone took the time to lob it oop or it would've remained undiscovered here

home and can answer with some more detail

you can take these sort of sounds in any number of directions styles...... the dronier end you can hear and elsewhere through various threads here through to the more beat heavy stuff

Craig Leon's 'Nommos' lp is proper mindfuck,,, the clarity/layering of his productions are a real lesson....themed around some bizarre alien godhead break out

(1st vid even has a bit of Jodorowsky's "The Holy Mountain as vid footage, which was nice)

Nommos

Donkeys Bearing Cups (you fuckin what mate? genius doe)

and 1 other i'm keeping back for next mix

also, someone posted a Dziga Vertov track recently that i robbed and lobbed in a mix..... that was some unknown frequency temporarily tuned into through forces beyond the earth level of experimentation heaviness, as alien as the human mind could plunder and many decades old now,

gotta love the audio archaeology

edit : Vakula's "A Voyage to Arcturus" is a more recent deep space communique with species unknown, based on an obscure sci-fi novel. There are some incredible tracks on that release, transcends deep house and all sorts of genres into something rare:

Edited by cwmbrancity
  • Like 1

It's linear but I don't understand the negative 'attitude'. To me it has an organic 'old' sound, which makes a good atmosphere that isn't as prevalent in todays similar music. Second I would argue at least the elements are great, one could argue about the whole composition but, it's not easy to get all the elements right and the balance right like that. I was surprised when I heard it the first time and been digging it since. There is also movement all through but above all it just sounds great to me

Good for you then, mate. I find it boring and uninteresting even sound-wise.

That piece was composed in 1980, not 2015. If we approached everything with this toxic mentality then a lot of pioneering electronic music (i.e., Pierre Schaeffer, or Brian Eno's ambient pieces) will nowadays sound 'lame', 'inadequate', 'dull' or what have you. You need to take into account the mindset of that epoch, as well as any technological limitations.

Well, Delia Derbyshire or Kraftwerk were much more interesting to my ears than this. The composition is simply boring. Tasty textures are not enough for me. Respect to the pioneers, sure, but if I want to enjoy actual music, I skip the pioneers' work that could not stand the test of time. There always were academic people doing technically interesting stuff but lacking actual musical talent. Good sound-designers that are also good composers are very rare.

This isn't an athletic competition i.e., "Delia Derbyshire could throw the javelin further than this mediocre composer". People of all musical backgrounds grab a machine and make sounds, and the OP wants to hear some obscure alien-sounding electronic pieces; whether you like it or not isn't the subject of this thread.

Edited by IOS

personally, loving headfucking electronica and house means the worlds that bridges between the two dont meet n meld well too often w/out sounding like shoes in a tumble dryer

thats why that Craig Leon lp is so braniac, cos it an early disco equivalent of the summat like the new Vakula release (& CL uses the studio like an instrument)

Pink Floyds 'Heart Beat, Pg Meat' off the Zabriskie Point soundtrack is a wicked wtf jam/studio fuck around:

Or Jerry Garcia's soul all through "What Became of the Baby" off Aoxomoxoa

Maurice Fulton has a catalog that'd be the envy of most, not a fan of the vocal Basement Boy gear (the dubs are ace though), but if you look through his alias stuff, the Boof/Stress world of fucked up mogadon disco side projects, discogs is the best place to start, check on u-tub if you like then take a punt (rummage round as its a rewarding experience with so much of his music). A lot like some of Theo Parrish's bits n bobs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEwTLgI8vG0

http://www.discogs.com/artist/4594-Maurice-Fulton

the soviet era thread (or is memory fuckin w/me?) had a lot of trippy gear in it, plus ANS specific compositions

Edited by cwmbrancity

I don't know much about RHK but it reminds me a lot of both early Plastikman and B12. Right between them on the minimalism spectrum.

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/82617-richard-h-kirk-fans/

we had the rhk thread ages ago, personal fav artist of mine, some of his earlier work is insanely alien as well:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18up3n_irc-34-richard-h-kirk-disposable-half-truths-face-a_music

(from 1980!)

classic Kirk releases

Dj Nature/Milo from Soul II Soul, Bristol's finest, does a good line is warped wonky house, old skool but not just in name, quality control is mint

https://soundcloud.com/natureboy

Theo Parrish's "STFU" came out with an "Alt-Version" mix but no samples online. Sound Signature is 150% Detroit 3rd wave, so many good tunes.

Kuniyuki Takahashi's releases hit a rich vein recently (last few years),

guess it all depends on your version of what defines alien

edited for div

Edited by cwmbrancity

This isn't an athletic competition i.e., "Delia Derbyshire could throw the javelin further than this mediocre composer". People of all musical backgrounds grab a machine and make sounds, and the OP wants to hear some obscure alien-sounding electronic pieces; whether you like it or not isn't the subject of this thread.

You have defended that piece of music by an argument that it was done in 1980. That is why I gave much older Delia and Kraftwerk as an example because in their case you can disregard the year in which it was done as their music and sound aesthetics are still good and still interesting (imo, of course).

Edited by Jev

i'd put this in the outer reaches realms

http://www.discogs.com/Thighpaulsandra-The-Lepore-Extrusion/release/809753

like a lost Coil lp, sounds like banks of fenix synthesizers stacked up in your head but compressed into an understandable resonance that you intuit rather than outright understand