Joyrex

i think mac pushes its own lossless format, alac, maybe that's why bleep offers wav instead of flac. i always think the same thing when i see a wav, why not flac?

regarding mp3s... autechre is a prime example of music that deserves lossless. though, for me, i avoid lossy all the time. but i guess i have more of an ear for it. i'm actually good at recognizing the bitrate of mp3s. i hear the difference between 320 mp3 and flac mainly in the high frequencies, which makes sense because high-frequency vibrations are smaller and therefor contribute more to fine detail. there's a crisp crunchiness in lossless that is blurred out in mp3s, even 320s. i think if you tried an A/B comparison with something with a lot of sharp-edged, high-frequency sounds, like 6IE.CR, you would see it. mp3 dulls the edges.

24 vs 16 bit... i'm not there yet ?

Edited by very honest

my ex-girlfriend and a very good friend that died recently was with me on these concerts. can't really enjoy listening to these even if they are the best live gig I have seen by AE so far

Edited by o00o
  • Sad 16

Anything 320 and above sounds satisfying and sturdy enough to me in all settings (although the wav/flac is discernible). The 256s and 128s can be acceptable (although recent AE would no doubt suffer) on headphones but copying, converting or playing through speakers brings out their unreliable fragility.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, very honest said:

i think mac pushes its own lossless format, alac, maybe that's why bleep offers wav instead of flac. i always think the same thing when i see a wav, why not flac?

regarding mp3s... autechre is a prime example of music that deserves lossless. though, for me, i avoid lossy all the time. but i guess i have more of an ear for it. i'm actually good at recognizing the bitrate of mp3s. i hear the difference between 320 mp3 and flac mainly in the high frequencies, which makes sense because high-frequency vibrations are smaller and therefor contribute more to fine detail. there's a crisp crunchiness in lossless that is blurred out in mp3s, even 320s. i think if you tried an A/B comparison with something with a lot of sharp-edged, high-frequency sounds, like 6IE.CR, you would see it. mp3 dulls the edges.

24 vs 16 bit... i'm not there yet ?

That's probably the reason, yes.

And yeah, I mean, if you use tools like a brickwall band pass filter and sweep it up while really isolating the frequencies you will hear the difference. There is just more in the high end, you can go further up and still hear stuff. But if I listen normally I can't tell much of a difference between 320mp3 and lossless, though maybe there is a little less of that ultra low frequency rumble that makes the air vibrate so that u actually feel the air pressure in front of the sub woofer with the MP3s, but barely noticeable and only at high volumes, if not entirely placebo. But for listening on my phone via crappy headphones MP3s are convenient. Regarding bit depth, I guess it's only, if at all, audible at extremely high volumes so the volume differences between the bits might actually scale up to an audible size, but unlikely 

lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, asmartkidbcn said:

not enough free time to listen them yet.. are these good as in "cool! this is new autechre music so it's good!" or as in "this shit is album level"?

nah, it's DOPE - new Autechre music level of dope! ? 

I'm going down the list one set at a time, really taking the time with these - so much goodness! 

Yeah, this is pretty much album level, imo. Definitely hearing some tracks in these sets which would shine on a proper album. Would be interesting to hear the "definitive" album versions of these tracks, as well. Also, these newer live-sets are more varied than the previous sets. Which is a good thing. Might be representative for the coming "albums" as well, i hope. 

Put the sets in chronlogical order and blasted them all while working from home today.. so much awesome! And agree seems lots of variation between sets.

Wasn't always paying attention to which one was playing but Melbourne particularly seemed to stand out.     

Edited by kirm
  • Like 1

Have listened to three so far and there is definitely a lot more variation in these, which is greatly appreciated. So many sick parts and it's all so new. Gonna take awhile...

Interesting to hear 'patches' from the NTS stuff getting repurposed into entirely different tracks. You can recognise tiny bits (like the end of turbile epic, or 32a reflected) just from the timbres but the overall effect is totally different.

Listening to Sinistrail Sentinel after this, it does sound like it would fit right into these sets.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, danshoebridge said:

Interesting to hear 'patches' from the NTS stuff getting repurposed into entirely different tracks. You can recognise tiny bits (like the end of turbile epic, or 32a reflected) just from the timbres but the overall effect is totally different.

Listening to Sinistrail Sentinel after this, it does sound like it would fit right into these sets.

yea agree. It's all new stuff to me but it's interesting to hear some 'familiar' things going on in a totally different context.