Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Are Ae getting better as they age?

AE_LIVE tldr yes

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#126 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

phone calls from the dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,887 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08
  • Interests:MIDI
    samplers
    delays

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:50 AM

i don't know if 'detailed' is the word i would use for Quaristice. maybe 'subtle' is a better description. more nuanced than Untilted. more shades. more organic.

to me, Untilted is like some hyper detailed cubist painting. Quaristice is more like wildstyle graffiti. still technical but more loose & funky.

a lot of it comes down to how the 2 albums were made. Untilted was all intense midi programming. taking time to program & chain together all sorts of sequences. Quaristice was all jammed out realtime.

when i listen to Quaristice, i can really hear their hands on the controls. I think it's the album that is the most 'them' as people. when you hear something change on that album, you know for the most part a hand was moving a fader, or triggering a button, or whatever. i really felt their unique sense of rhythm & timing with all of their Quaristice stuff, and the relative sparseness of the tracks allows you to hear all the things they are doing more clearly.

Yeah well put, I think this is the most accurate and also explains why I love it the most.

#127 goDel

goDel

ɐqʎǝx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,475 posts
  • 31 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:20 AM

Would enjoy this thread if they were actually still releasing stuff.

Might as well change the title to "Were Ae getting better as they aged?"

#128 auxien

auxien

i be readin the rules, be needin the rules, u succeedin? rules.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • 50 topics
  • Joined 09-April 08
  • SoundCloud URL:soundcloud.com/tsrono
  • PSN:auxien

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:45 AM

i don't know if 'detailed' is the word i would use for Quaristice. maybe 'subtle' is a better description. more nuanced than Untilted. more shades. more organic.

to me, Untilted is like some hyper detailed cubist painting. Quaristice is more like wildstyle graffiti. still technical but more loose & funky.

a lot of it comes down to how the 2 albums were made. Untilted was all intense midi programming. taking time to program & chain together all sorts of sequences. Quaristice was all jammed out realtime.

when i listen to Quaristice, i can really hear their hands on the controls. I think it's the album that is the most 'them' as people. when you hear something change on that album, you know for the most part a hand was moving a fader, or triggering a button, or whatever. i really felt their unique sense of rhythm & timing with all of their Quaristice stuff, and the relative sparseness of the tracks allows you to hear all the things they are doing more clearly.

Yeah well put, I think this is the most accurate and also explains why I love it the most.

Agreed, good description digit.

You, you shut the hell up. IT WILL HAPPEN. They've certainly been more consistently releasing over the last decade than any other featured artists around here so yeah. They can take a year off if they want.

#129 EXTRASUPER81

EXTRASUPER81

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • 3 topics
  • Joined 25-June 16

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:10 AM

[quote name="goDel" post="2593167" timestamp="1512112838"]

Might as well change the title to "Were Ae getting better as they aged?"[/quote]
You, you shut the hell up. IT WILL HAPPEN. They've certainly been more consistently releasing over the last decade than any other featured artists around here so yeah. They can take a year off if they want.[/quote]

Lol, yeah.

No one knows what goes on in people's lives. For all we know they could have been dealing with death and sickness for the past year. And they've got no obligation to us anyway.

That being said in my head I'm going "Sean pls" every time I look at watmm.
Ffs
Argh quoting
I give up

#130 D4M0

D4M0

Long Time Lurker

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
  • 37 topics
  • Joined 19-August 14
  • Interests:Lushness.

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:30 AM

Agreed, good description digit.

You, you shut the hell up. IT WILL HAPPEN. They've certainly been more consistently releasing over the last decade than any other featured artists around here so yeah. They can take a year off if they want.

Yep, this.

#131 acid1

acid1

the iniquitous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts
  • 53 topics
  • Joined 20-December 05
  • SoundCloud URL:http://soundcloud.com/acid1
  • PSN:interpolate
  • XBOX360:interpolate1

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:09 AM

I wonder if el-seq will be their DOS moment or not

#132 Candiru

Candiru

▓▓▒▒♪▒▒▒♫&

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,112 posts
  • 11 topics
  • Joined 09-August 09

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:56 AM

Quaristice is dope. Overall, I'm not a huge fan of EP7, Confield, and Untilted. They're a bit drab overall, but Draft 7.30 has some bangers. They seem to be having more fun these days, I dunno. 

#133 D4M0

D4M0

Long Time Lurker

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
  • 37 topics
  • Joined 19-August 14
  • Interests:Lushness.

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:11 PM

That being said I'd like warp to drop the next repress wave !

#134 doorjamb

doorjamb

bodes well

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
  • 34 topics
  • Joined 15-December 08

Posted 02 December 2017 - 08:15 PM

We’ve definitely seen drastic stylistic transformation from them over the years, but I have a hard time seeing it as genuinely linear, logical, or progressive (except in terms of technical expertise), so it feels weird to say they have or haven’t “gotten better.” For the most part their marked shifts seem more on the level of genre or palette than quality. For example, it’s not like Oversteps is structurally or texturally richer than Untilted; it’s just aiming to be something completely different. Quaristice is another good example: initially, I thought, ”Oh, cool, they got sick of autistic slice’n’dicery, & instead had some fun w/ their pre-/epi-Autechre loves (hip-hop, acid, etc.),” but soon I realized the same attention to detial/nuance that’s so front-&-center in Draft/Untilted is there in Quaristice too, only the traditional simplicity of the latter’s main genre tropes demanded understatement, reserve, & to some extent even deliberate obscurantism. Whereas Oversteps & especially the Elseqs are shooting for an almost completely antithetical vision, i.e., all texture & detail, with almost no adherence to recognizable generic structures or tropes. Like, the pendulu(m) casually swung hard one way, then even harder another.

TLDR: The boys aren’t getting objectively “better” over time; they’re just accumulating technical & artistic mastery, while simultaneously working really hard to avoid doing the same thing twice (unless/until they feel they can significantly outdo a previous effort in the same vein).

Edited by doorjamb, 02 December 2017 - 08:18 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AE_LIVE, tldr yes