IGNORED

Favourite YouTube Videos

Joyrex

i just discovered this guy on youtube. really good geeky video game videos

[youtubehd]fb73kHBAirU&feature=relmfu[/youtubehd]

Angry videogame nerd rules, i had the same frustration as a kid with some of the NES games he discusses, wtf were they thinking???

Angry videogame nerd rules, i had the same frustration as a kid with some of the NES games he discusses, wtf were they thinking???

he's a passionate passionate man..

Guest Frankie5fingers

he's a passionate passionate man..

i loved the vid. i too remember the times when i would always try to tell my friends at school that the SNES was better than the Genesis. in the end, they where both amazing systems.

A new paper published by the National Marine Mammal Foundation in the scientific journal Current Biology sheds light on the ability of marine mammals to spontaneously mimic human speech. The study details the case of a white whale named NOC who began to mimic the human voice, presumably a result of vocal learning.

"The whale's vocalizations often sounded as if two people were conversing in the distance," says Dr. Sam Ridgway, President of the National Marine Mammal Foundation. "These 'conversations' were heard several times before the whale was eventually identified as the source. In fact, we discovered it when a diver mistook the whale for a human voice giving him underwater directions."

As soon as the whale was identified as the source, NMMF scientists recorded his speech-like episodes both in air and underwater, studying the physiology behind his ability to mimic. It's believed that the animals close association with humans played a role in how often he employed his 'human' voice, as well as in its quality.

Researchers believe NOC's sonic behavior is an example of vocal learning by a white whale. After about four years, NOC's speech-like behavior subsided.

"When NOC matured, we no longer heard speech-like sounds, but he did remain quite vocal," Ridgway said. "While it's been a number of years since we first encountered this spontaneous mimicry, it's our hope that publishing our observations now will lead to further discoveries about marine mammal learning and vocalization. How this unique 'mind' interacts with other animals, humans and the ocean environment is a major challenge of our time."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14MJXC0h4TU

A new paper published by the National Marine Mammal Foundation in the scientific journal Current Biology sheds light on the ability of marine mammals to spontaneously mimic human speech. The study details the case of a white whale named NOC who began to mimic the human voice, presumably a result of vocal learning.

"The whale's vocalizations often sounded as if two people were conversing in the distance," says Dr. Sam Ridgway, President of the National Marine Mammal Foundation. "These 'conversations' were heard several times before the whale was eventually identified as the source. In fact, we discovered it when a diver mistook the whale for a human voice giving him underwater directions."

As soon as the whale was identified as the source, NMMF scientists recorded his speech-like episodes both in air and underwater, studying the physiology behind his ability to mimic. It's believed that the animals close association with humans played a role in how often he employed his 'human' voice, as well as in its quality.

Researchers believe NOC's sonic behavior is an example of vocal learning by a white whale. After about four years, NOC's speech-like behavior subsided.

"When NOC matured, we no longer heard speech-like sounds, but he did remain quite vocal," Ridgway said. "While it's been a number of years since we first encountered this spontaneous mimicry, it's our hope that publishing our observations now will lead to further discoveries about marine mammal learning and vocalization. How this unique 'mind' interacts with other animals, humans and the ocean environment is a major challenge of our time."

Sounds kinda like me in the morning.