IGNORED

Favourite YouTube Videos

Joyrex

8 hours ago, cloud capture said:

now that's funny, i watched this vid the other day (after watching rick beato's interview of him) 

while we're at it here's greg koch jamming on abasi guitars (dude in the thumbnail)

Edited by brian trageskin
  • Thanks 1

nice the abasi guitars are new too me, I know he used to have guitars made for him by Ibanez I think?  But these new models look pretty sweet.  Also it's really cool to see Tosin posting these little peeks into his playing style.

The way the click track syncs with what he's actually playing in Etude #1 cracks me right up.  The relation between the two is completely unclear to me.  Like "oh by the way, here's a click track... but I'm just going to play this other thing independent from that.  Nevertheless,  please enjoy this unrelated click track I've got playing in the background for your comfort."  Obviously he's actually playing to it, but my brain's not having it.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

The way the click track syncs with what he's actually playing in Etude #1 cracks me right up.  The relation between the two is completely unclear to me.  Like "oh by the way, here's a click track... but I'm just going to play this other thing independent from that.  Nevertheless,  please enjoy this unrelated click track I've got playing in the background for your comfort."  Obviously he's actually playing to it, but my brain's not having it.

the time sig is 15/8

And he's of course cramming it into a 4/4 metronome.  Ahahahaha so fucked.  Sounds especially weird to me since he starts the riff before the downbeat, and I've never heard what the drums do.  So the groove is just completely whack to me.  I'm sure it makes perfect sense with the drums.

2 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

And he's of course cramming it into a 4/4 metronome.  Ahahahaha so fucked.  Sounds especially weird to me since he starts the riff before the downbeat, and I've never heard what the drums do.  So the groove is just completely whack to me.  I'm sure it makes perfect sense with the drums.

he does start on the downbeat though doesn't he? your confusion might have to do with his sloppy playing combined with the reverb/delay (not sure what it is i'm hearing, not an audio nerd)

also you don't need to hear the drums to get the feel of this groove. apparently the counting goes 4+4+4+3 

tbh i said it was in 15/8 but i'm not sure it's not 15/4 instead, don't know the difference. i'm a noob at rhythm theory

now maybe your confusion also has to do with you not being used to hear odd time signatures played at great speed. you should listen to more jazz-related stuff dude

i hope i don't come across pedantic. i don't know much theory but i'm fascinated by it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brian trageskin said:

he does start on the downbeat though doesn't he? your confusion might have to do with his sloppy playing combined with the reverb/delay (not sure what it is i'm hearing, not an audio nerd)

also you don't need to hear the drums to get the feel of this groove. apparently the counting goes 4+4+4+3 

tbh i said it was in 15/8 but i'm not sure it's not 15/4 instead, don't know the difference. i'm a noob at rhythm theory

now maybe your confusion also has to do with you not being used to hear odd time signatures played at great speed. you should listen to more jazz-related stuff dude

i hope i don't come across pedantic. i don't know much theory but i'm fascinated by it

The click is in quarter notes, not 8th notes, but if it is in 15/8 that actually makes sense and is why it sounds totally fucked up.  He just has the ears and understanding of what he's playing to follow along and make it work.  He's definitely starting the riff precisely one 16th note before the down beat, which is fucked and causes me to hear it in a way other than intended.  Anyway, the 15 over the 8 would cause it to move off of the click in a very strange way that most musicians would not be able to follow, self included.  His riff doesn't sound as weird when played by itself (I can actually groove to that) but the addition of the click track in quarter notes is what makes it absurd.  That's all I'm saying.  

*although when he slowed what he was playing down I was quite surprised by the sloppiness (he's obviously an instrumentalist of an extremely high caliber, so the fact that there was a fair bit of imprecision and a couple dead notes was unexpected.  Although if he cared to make it perfect I've know doubt he could and does so on recordings.)

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

49 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

The click is in quarter notes, not 8th notes, but if it is in 15/8 that actually makes sense and is why it sounds totally fucked up.  He just has the ears and understanding of what he's playing to follow along and make it work.  He's definitely starting the riff precisely one 16th note before the down beat, which is fucked and causes me to hear it in a way other than intended.  Anyway, the 15 over the 8 would cause it to move off of the click in a very strange way that most musicians would not be able to follow, self included.  His riff doesn't sound as weird when played by itself (I can actually groove to that) but the addition of the click track in quarter notes is what makes it absurd.  That's all I'm saying.  

*although when he slowed what he was playing down I was quite surprised by the sloppiness (he's obviously an instrumentalist of an extremely high caliber, so the fact that there was a fair bit of imprecision and a couple dead notes was unexpected.  Although if he cared to make it perfect I've know doubt he could and does so on recordings.)

i really don't know what you're talking about regarding the riff starting a 16th note before the downbeat, i'm either too ignorant, deaf, or you growing a brain tumor dude :trollface:

i also don't see what's particularly amazing with the juxtaposition of the metronome. i'll just say this: there's this 'riff' i made up on the piano that's in 7/8 i guess (again i don't know the difference with 7/4 and i'm guessing so cause the feel is the same as tosin's etude except it's only 7 beats instead of 15), basically my left hand repeats a chord in binary while my right hand plays that line on top, takes 7 iterations of the line to complete the cycle. and you know what? i suck at the piano but this is quite easy to play, even at great speed, even with added swing feel

now i know what you're thinking, 15/8 is way harder than 7/? (again, not sure if quarter or 8th notes) but is it though? to my ears it's just adding an extra 8 notes to what i play. unless i don't get how this works and i really should go learn more instead of opening my mouth

not trying to be a smart-ass here, on the contrary. anybody's welcome to school me

Edited by brian trageskin

I think 15/8 is substantially more difficult to play than 7/8 at a high speed.  My first introduction to odd meters was Tool's Undertow album when I was in highshool, and I thought it was pretty neat.  So that inspired some songs in 7/8, which was very intuitive.  The fact 7/8 is so intuitive may account for why vsnares is always drawn to it.  15/8 (actually in the case of that etude song, it's in 15/16 if I'm hearing it correctly?  Like that 16th note I hear before the bar fits the pattern you suggested of 4-4-4-3... even fucked-er) is extremely unusual and naturally a bit harder to follow for most people I would expect.  It really doesn't come up a lot.  And the time difference between a 7/8 and 15/8 for that final note before the bar repeats is almost half (twice as fast) so far more difficult to play precisely.  To have a whole band play it without totally munging it up would be a pretty rare thing indeed.  But some of these prog/metal bands are ludicrous in their technical proficiency.  It's not really what tends to draw me in with music, but it does hold interest for me as well.

*sorry for hijacking the youtube thread for prog nerd chat... I'm trying to distract myself from other things.  Please carry on with the regular programming.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

It's such a special treat to see John McLaughlin playing the guitar again.  I know he retired a few years ago due to arthritis.  It warms my heart.  Not to mention all these other absolute rippers.  Jam starts a few minutes in:

• Like 2