IGNORED

Favourite YouTube Videos

Joyrex

Guest zaphod

what utter nonsense. sad that people have to force themselves to a limited format just to quell their own inability to sit and concentrate on one thing for an hour.

what utter nonsense. sad that people have to force themselves to a limited format just to quell their own inability to sit and concentrate on one thing for an hour.

A lot of backlash seems oriented toward the superficial fans of cassette tapes. It's not a magical format and people are mistaken to think it's inherently better sounding than mp3 - a badly recorded tape will sound far worse, but at the same time a well-dubbed cassette even playing through a mediocre deck can be as sonically rich as a well-pressed vinyl record.

I've become a cassette tape collector in the last couple years, but I take all aspects of the "appealing" nature of cassette tapes with a grain of salt. I discover a lot of novelty cassettes and foreign pop tapes at thrift stores. I like listening to the bandcamp and soundcloud accounts of tape labels and then buying the albums I really like. Recording and sampling onto and off of cassettes is a lot fun for me as well.

And personally, I grew up at the tale end of cassettes as a dominant format, mostly listening to CDs as a teen and mp3s in college. Now most kids don't even spend time downloading or ripping CDs - it's all streaming youtube videos and skipping through playlists on spotify and grooveshark. If it takes the novelty of a tape to push younger listeners back to appreciating full-length albums and long tracks, then I'm all for the fad.

A lot of backlash seems oriented toward the superficial fans of cassette tapes. It's not a magical format and people are mistaken to think it's inherently better sounding than mp3 - a badly recorded tape will sound far worse, but at the same time a well-dubbed cassette even playing through a mediocre deck can be as sonically rich as a well-pressed vinyl record.

I've become a cassette tape collector in the last couple years, but I take all aspects of the "appealing" nature of cassette tapes with a grain of salt. I discover a lot of novelty cassettes and foreign pop tapes at thrift stores. I like listening to the bandcamp and soundcloud accounts of tape labels and then buying the albums I really like. Recording and sampling onto and off of cassettes is a lot fun for me as well.

And personally, I grew up at the tale end of cassettes as a dominant format, mostly listening to CDs as a teen and mp3s in college. Now most kids don't even spend time downloading or ripping CDs - it's all streaming youtube videos and skipping through playlists on spotify and grooveshark. If it takes the novelty of a tape to push younger listeners back to appreciating full-length albums and long tracks, then I'm all for the fad.

man i want one of those so bad

me too at some point way down the line, though all the wow and flutter is from it using old and degraded tape - from what I've read and then actually heard IRL the El Capistan guitar pedal is better for the tape warble effect (and it's a hell of delay emulator beyond that). a properly running re-201 or re-301 won't go into "instant BoC" mode lol, it's a lot cheaper to buy old cassettes, mangle the tape, and record off of that

Edited by joshuatx

man i want one of those so bad

me too at some point way down the line, though all the wow and flutter is from it using old and degraded tape - from what I've read and then actually heard IRL the El Capistan guitar pedal is better for the tape warble effect (and it's a hell of delay emulator beyond that). a properly running re-201 or re-301 won't go into "instant BoC" mode lol, it's a lot cheaper to buy old cassettes, mangle the tape, and record off of that

word. the roland tape delays are absurdy overpriced but fuck me are they beautiful.