IGNORED

Favourite YouTube Videos

Joyrex

My first noise performance:

Nicely done, man.

You feel like running down the gear you used?

Thanks! The source sound that starts the set is playing through my Zoom recorder (it's a sample of a paul stretched chainsaw, at first), which is running through a series of effects pedals as well as a ham radio that I have functioning as a PA at the beginning (it's going through a stereo chorus pedal so I have control of how wide the sound is, among other things). Later on I use the ham radio for its other features. The effects that the Zoom and later the mic are using are: 3 distortions (Thrash Master, Zvex, and some weird coffin shaped one that I borrowed off a friend last minute), a Boss phaser, the Holy Stain which I'm using as a pitch modulator (it also functions for reverb and tremello, but not this time) and a Line 6 D4 multi delay. The ham radio's going through a Line6 Space Chorus (just found out that was line 6 now after looking it up!) and a Boss tremello. Other than that, I've got a cheap mic with an on/off switch, a peanut butter jar filled with rocks (that shatters later in the set), and... I think that's it. I brought a monotron mini synthesizer that I neglected to take out of my backpack, so it never made its way into the performance. Oh yeah, and beer. I was playing the beers earlier.

Nicely done, man.

Thanks! The source sound that starts the set is playing through my Zoom recorder (it's a sample of a paul stretched chainsaw, at first), which is running through a series of effects pedals as well as a ham radio that I have functioning as a PA at the beginning (it's going through a stereo chorus pedal so I have control of how wide the sound is, among other things). Later on I use the ham radio for its other features. The effects that the Zoom and later the mic are using are: 3 distortions (Thrash Master, Zvex, and some weird coffin shaped one that I borrowed off a friend last minute), a Boss phaser, the Holy Stain which I'm using as a pitch modulator (it also functions for reverb and tremello, but not this time) and a Line 6 D4 multi delay. The ham radio's going through a Line6 Space Chorus (just found out that was line 6 now after looking it up!) and a Boss tremello. Other than that, I've got a cheap mic with an on/off switch, a peanut butter jar filled with rocks (that shatters later in the set), and... I think that's it. I brought a monotron mini synthesizer that I neglected to take out of my backpack, so it never made its way into the performance. Oh yeah, and beer. I was playing the beers earlier.

awesome job. where did you perform? i'd like to see like 4 or so people doing this live, like the way dj shadow performs with friends on tt's.

It was at a house party in Cook St. village, and the act that played before me was pretty much just what you described --two guys with an array of FX pedals, a drummer, and a bassist. They were awesome. I'll let you know when there's another one of these shindigs. There's a guy who has them at his house every few months, and he's going to get me to play at his next one (different house).

Guest isaki

Nicely done, man.

(it's a sample of a paul stretched chainsaw, at first)

haha, wicked

man i want one of those so bad

me too at some point way down the line, though all the wow and flutter is from it using old and degraded tape - from what I've read and then actually heard IRL the El Capistan guitar pedal is better for the tape warble effect (and it's a hell of delay emulator beyond that). a properly running re-201 or re-301 won't go into "instant BoC" mode lol, it's a lot cheaper to buy old cassettes, mangle the tape, and record off of that

word. the roland tape delays are absurdy overpriced but fuck me are they beautiful.

they seem perpetually wonderful - this video is just a guy playing around with a RE-301 with no other input but the machine itself:

Edited by joshuatx

Nicely done, man.

(it's a sample of a paul stretched chainsaw, at first)

haha, wicked

No shit! Would love to see you live, looks like a lot of fun.

Cheers! :beer: It was possibly the most fun I've had performing anything.

Well hopefully one of these days I'll play at a noise fest somewhere near you. I'd love to pack up all my gear in a backpack and travel through the states playing shows. It's almost impossible to do with a band, but I can probably get away with it as a one man act that can be discreet about his gear at the border.