IGNORED

Favourite YouTube Videos

Joyrex

8 hours ago, MaartenVC said:

I'd take this video with a pinch of salt.

The Infographics Show is kinda infamous by some for their love for sensation and controversy (~$).
Imo they drop the ball far too often.
Maybe they also shouldn't take everything Christoper Hitchens, the author of the book on which this video is mostly based on, at face value. (he called himself a fervent anti-theist after all, not just an a-theist)

But I think they're right we shouldn't worship her. (or anyone else for that matter)

Anyway, my guess is that Teresa was probably neither a holy saint / perfectly good person, nor an evil demon / extremely bad person. She probably has done both good and bad.
Most of her intentions seemed to be to try to help the poor.
While some of her actions were wrong. And the catholic church / Vatican should also carry some of that blame.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I dunno.

yeah sure.. i mean i'm sure she did some good but overall i'm deeply suspicious of religious charities, missionaries and their motivations/fund raising efforts. I have a very hard time giving them the benefit of the doubt. 

Also, the cases of negligence, which some would consider abuse, are documented in other places beyond christopher hitchens' work. they touch on some of that in the video.

my take on it is that her efforts created a poorly run shit show but can probably point to a handful of people who's lives were positively changed by interacting with the things she did/created but in the long run didn't make a dent but made some christians for jesus and maybe fed a bunch of meals to people daily etc. 

it's well established she thought suffering was good for people and pain management wasn't a thing they did or did well for people who needed it.. 

i confess that i do like to shit on the church and think they need to be called out about all their bullshit and abuse and taken down a peg but it's not a pre-occupation w/me and i can see there are genuine people trying to do good here and there and the church is important to a lot of people locally and plays a big part in their communities. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ignatius said:

yeah sure.. i mean i'm sure she did some good but overall i'm deeply suspicious of religious charities, missionaries and their motivations/fund raising efforts. I have a very hard time giving them the benefit of the doubt. 

Also, the cases of negligence, which some would consider abuse, are documented in other places beyond christopher hitchens' work. they touch on some of that in the video.

my take on it is that her efforts created a poorly run shit show but can probably point to a handful of people who's lives were positively changed by interacting with the things she did/created but in the long run didn't make a dent but made some christians for jesus and maybe fed a bunch of meals to people daily etc. 

it's well established she thought suffering was good for people and pain management wasn't a thing they did or did well for people who needed it.. 

i confess that i do like to shit on the church and think they need to be called out about all their bullshit and abuse and taken down a peg but it's not a pre-occupation w/me and i can see there are genuine people trying to do good here and there and the church is important to a lot of people locally and plays a big part in their communities. 

Christian cults always fascinate me, because it’s a cult within a cult, or even a cult within a cult within a cult. ymmv

12 hours ago, yekker said:

Funniest thing I've seen in a while :biggrin:

The stunt was planned, it was a profesional pilot for sure, no way a drunk man could have avoided death in a real situation like that doing what that man does, and just look at the end of the video too

3 hours ago, Milwaukeeeee said:

The stunt was planned, it was a profesional pilot for sure, no way a drunk man could have avoided death in a real situation like that doing what that man does, and just look at the end of the video too

Damn man, you ruined it for me! Lol

Temperton's first version was titled "Starlight", with the chorus lyric: "Give me some starlight / Starlight sun". The production team, led by Quincy Jones, felt the song should be the title track, but that "Starlight" was not a strong album title. Instead, they wanted something "mysterious to match Michael's evolving persona". Temperton considered several possible titles, including "Midnight Man", which Jones felt was "going in the right direction". Finally, he conceived "Thriller", but worried that it was "a crap word to sing ... It sounded terrible! However, we got Michael to spit it into the microphone a few times and it worked."

Pop history could've been rather different.

• Like 2